*Almost* killed a bicyclist this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Cujet
I've come to the unfortunate conclusion that bicycles do not belong on most public roads.

It really has come to that, for the most part.

I've been driving for 40 years.... there are WAAAAYYYYYY more cars on the road driving now than there ever, ever were before!

Originally Posted by MrMoody
They're doing it here, too. Eliminating places where you could turn left from a side road by putting in overlapping islands, putting red arrows where you could previously yield on green, corralling everyone into the slow, poorly functioning lights, generally making it more difficult and take longer to get anywhere. Talk about wasting fuel. And rather than making anything safer, red-light running and accidents seem to be way up.

Well, then I'm glad it's not just in Texas. Everything you just typed is true.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
As a habit I try to drive defensive when approaching an intersection because I'm expecting people to roll the stop sign / traffic light or misjudge my speed and pull out in front of me.

This is a good driving method to practice. I do this very same thing. Another thing I do is wait a few seconds after the light has turned green to go while sitting at an intersection before proceeding,because too many people try to beat the yellow lights and end up blatantly running red lights. EVERY accident I've been in,whether I've been driving or have been the passenger,have been by women running red lights or stop signs like clockwork.

Another thing I just don't understand. What's with this "headphone crowd" these days? Seems everyone walks,drives,runs,bikes,etc, in a zombie-like stupor with some kind've dumb headphones glued to their heads. I always thought driving with headphones on was illegal.

I am more and more convinced that the powers to be are trying to make driving more difficult. As mentioned above, new road designs, adding pay to play lanes on freeways, roundabouts and various other traffic schemes are being pushed.

Imagine a busy road with a roundabout followed by a diverging diamond setup on a freeway interchange. We have one just to the south of us. I avoid it.

I had a similiar experience a few years ago. About 5:30am so still dark. I exit the freeway. Stop at the intersection. Turning right I see it is clear, no cars approaching and the hand is red for the crosswalk with no one walking. I turn and about halfway into my turn a idiot on a bike crashes into the side of my truck. He is going the wrong way on the road against the Do Not Cross sign with no light. Scared both of us. I was like "what was that!?" I pull over and he is fine but scared and angry and so am I. Tire mark is all that was on my truck. We both got lucky. He was in the wrong, confirmed by police but I don't want to kill anyone. I didn't see him riding for a few weeks but I saw him again doing the same thing riding the wrong way on the road in the dark. How stupid can you be?

he gave me the middle finger.

You should've pulled him over and asked him to do that again and what it was he had to say to you.

I totally agree with the other posters who said bicycles don't belong on major roads,because they don't. Any vehicle or apparatus that can't maintain the road's maximum speed limit has no place there. It's dangerous for the operator as well as everyone else sharing the roads. Heck,what's next,skateboarders cruising all over the roads because they have "the right" to be there?

So let me get this straight. A bunch of you only believe in legal rights for things you want to do, but no rights for people doing other things? Bicycles have the legal right to be on many roads. That includes the obligation to observe traffic laws. I both ride bikes and motorcycles and on virtually every ride some car or truck breaks the law and does something dangerous. The typical stupid move is to pull right out in front of me with no pause or recognition another vehicle is coming, like just happened to me 15 minutes ago. The offender was the usual: work truck with no rearward visibility, ladders on top, driver on the phone. Just backed out without a pause in front of my motorcycle, proceeded to the next intersection where he just rolled through the stop sign making a left turn with no signal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
I am more and more convinced that the powers to be are trying to make driving more difficult.

I have to wonder if you're right. Soon you will be riding in your robot car, playing with your smart device for an hour on a commute you used to be able to make in 15 minutes.

7:20 AM this morning I'm driving home from the supermarket. I'm in a red Chevy Equinox with my headlights on, as a habit I will ALWAYS drive with my headlights on in the morning even if the sun is out so motorists can see me from far away.

I'm on a 4 lane road (with median) headed East and I see a bicyclist (headed South) approaching the intersection and not slowing down. I double honk my horn to warn him..... he is still approaching and his head is not turning in my direction as I now have my horn BLARING.
confused2.gif

If he turned his head he would of seen me as he would be looking West and not into the bright sunlight. I jam on the brakes and he now realizes that I'm about to T-Bone him. He is riding by himself and has AirPods on listening to music. I nearly hit the bozo and he now realizes he cheated dead.

As a habit I try to drive defensive when approaching an intersection because I'm expecting people to roll the stop sign / traffic light or misjudge my speed and pull out in front of me. If I wasn't paying attention, this bozo might be in a body bag and the cops would asking me to take a blood test to see if I have any alcohol in my system.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Happy to hear you are paying attention. That Cylclist might meet his match with another driver that is as careless as he is.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
Cycles have no place on a public road. 90% of the people riding them don't care at all about the laws of the road, nor do they respect other motorists because they're "better people" for riding. Bunch of stuck up idiots.

If you want to ride, find one of the bike paths us tax payers gave you with our tax money, that bicycle riders also don't contribute to (gas tax, sales tax, registration tax).

Wow, and it starts. Prove your 90% number. As far as the bike paths "you taxpayers gave us", huh? I drive 20k + miles and ride these days ride less than 500 so I pay my share. Bike paths are a joke, polluted by baby strollers and dogs on flexi-leashes and walkers and runners, no place for a cyclist going 15-20 mph. Responsible cyclists don't like the irresponsible ones any more than you do. If LEOs everywhere would enforce all traffic laws this wouldn't be any more or less a problem than any user group like sport bike idiots, Harley idiots, lifted truck idiots, etc etc.

Just give the cyclists a little room and go on with your day.

As a road biker generally biking on county county roads yes I obey traffic stops I see many in area don't bad idea so many blind stops on cross roads. I have seen it all as for motorists from being flipped the finger been roalled coal on swerved at called names. I'm use to it no one ever stop to confront me when I give it back and most that pull the crap are just bunch of lazy hicks that are all talk. For most part people are respectful and knowing you just out to ride and enjoying the outdoors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by 14Accent
Cycles have no place on a public road. 90% of the people riding them don't care at all about the laws of the road, nor do they respect other motorists because they're "better people" for riding. Bunch of stuck up idiots.

If you want to ride, find one of the bike paths us tax payers gave you with our tax money, that bicycle riders also don't contribute to (gas tax, sales tax, registration tax).

Wow, and it starts. Prove your 90% number. As far as the bike paths "you taxpayers gave us", huh? I drive 20k + miles and ride these days ride less than 500 so I pay my share. Bike paths are a joke, polluted by baby strollers and dogs on flexi-leashes and walkers and runners, no place for a cyclist going 15-20 mph. Responsible cyclists don't like the irresponsible ones any more than you do. If LEOs everywhere would enforce all traffic laws this wouldn't be any more or less a problem than any user group like sport bike idiots, Harley idiots, lifted truck idiots, etc etc.

Just give the cyclists a little room and go on with your day.
Agreed +1

Originally Posted by dave123
As a road biker generally biking on county county roads yes I obey traffic stops I see many in area don't bad idea so many blind stops on cross roads. I have seen it all as for motorists from being flipped the finger been roalled coal on swerved at called a forget M'R F'R [censored] I'm use to it no one ever stop to confront me when I give it back and most that pull the crap are just bunch of lazy hicks that are all talk. For most part people are respectful and knowing you just out to ride and enjoying the outdoors.

I agree with you Dave. There's no reason for these losers to go out of their way to mess with you and behave like inbred morons. Me,I just don't feel safe riding on busy roads. I'll only ride on dedicated biking trails on in the neighborhoods.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
sport bike idiots, Harley idiots, lifted truck idiots, etc etc.

Agree. These are by far the worst offenders out there!

ARCO, ...

I had the green light, cyclist had the red light. He was alone and I don't assume all the folks on bicycles are dumb. ...

O.K. got it. Numb on 2 wheels then for sure.

The cyclist made a mistake, and is lucky he's not dead ...

Would this thread have been any different if the cyclist had been say, a truck ? Run a red light, and bad things happen. Period.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by MrMoody
They're doing it here, too. Eliminating places where you could turn left from a side road by putting in overlapping islands, putting red arrows where you could previously yield on green, corralling everyone into the slow, poorly functioning lights, generally making it more difficult and take longer to get anywhere. Talk about wasting fuel. And rather than making anything safer, red-light running and accidents seem to be way up.

Well, then I'm glad it's not just in Texas. Everything you just typed is true.

Going on in FL too. They just did that to a new section of drive and it's become super dangerous. I've nearly T-Boned so many cars that it's crazy.

Of course, the "logical" response has been to increase speed patrols......because that's the problem.

smirk2.gif

I do road biking, but cautiously, and only to get to designated trails.

I'm a little surprised by those who do not want their tax money to go towards bike trails. Is it really such a bad thing that our society should contribute to their being a literal path to fitness and activity?

I think it's great to see so many people (especially young people) embrace a a hundreds-year-old "technology".

Sure, there's the Strava idiots, but overall I think it's better people get on bikes than not.

Originally Posted by AuthorEditor
So let me get this straight. A bunch of you only believe in legal rights for things you want to do, but no rights for people doing other things? Bicycles have the legal right to be on many roads. That includes the obligation to observe traffic laws. I both ride bikes and motorcycles and on virtually every ride some car or truck breaks the law and does something dangerous. The typical stupid move is to pull right out in front of me with no pause or recognition another vehicle is coming, like just happened to me 15 minutes ago. The offender was the usual: work truck with no rearward visibility, ladders on top, driver on the phone. Just backed out without a pause in front of my motorcycle, proceeded to the next intersection where he just rolled through the stop sign making a left turn with no signal.

Call the police on them. Your inaction is part of the problem.

So the guy on the bike was clearly oblivious and because you were observant you avoided making a splat on the pavement of him.
He shows his gratitude by flipping you off.
Very classy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back