Almost burned by "mobile programmer"

I've downloaded and written ABD with Forscan for '04-08 F150 cluster swaps. Honestly it was a one-line code that time I could have just jotted down and punched in from memory, but the safer way was to essentially "copy and paste"

If I can do it, anyone can

That said, I 100% understand OP's unwillingness to do it. Too many variables, possible hiccups, he's already wearing 7 hats, plus once you do it, you own it....or you look like you over-promised and under-delivered to your shop. I get it. I do.

I would say it is a learning experience. Stuff happens and the only way to have stuff happen is to do nothing. The more I try to know the more I realize what I actually know

He should be able to program using As Built data. If you need the codes, shoot me the VIN in a PM.
I appreciate your knowledge! To be honest I appreciate all the input from all our pros on this site for sharing their knowledge.

Reactions: D60
Am I the only one who questions why a steering rack had to be replaced on a 2014 Explorer?

Did this have a ton of miles on it or heavy duty usage?
We do a lot of them. The California Highway Patrol has a bunch of 2013 Explorers and we have done all of the local ones at least once. There was actually a service campaign to replace all of them. I had pallets of them all over the place waiting for core pickup at one point. They aren't cheap either.

How can a tech be amazing, and also be mediocre at troubleshooting?
Finding the problem and fixing the problem are two different skills.

How can programmers be bad at fixing computers?
Different people have different talents. One can have knockout mechanical skills, but not be good at diagnosing computerized systems. Or vice-versa. A few have both at high levels.

Of coarse there are the modules that have been configured differently than As Built by a previous owner & the current owners expect to have all the features they grew accustom too.
Using FORScan, you can update specific modules or "all". I do realize that it's safer/easier to update everything in one swoop so you don't have to hunt around making sure you got all of the necessary modules. Doing so, as you say, will "reset" everything on the car to factory defaults.

Am I the only one who questions why a steering rack had to be replaced on a 2014 Explorer?

Did this have a ton of miles on it or heavy duty usage?

It originally presented as a lose right inner tie rod, however once the boot was pulled back there were several pieces of... something... that shouldn't have been there. Looked like a washer, possibly a bump stop. At that point, there was no other option.

It originally presented as a lose right inner tie rod, however once the boot was pulled back there were several pieces of... something... that shouldn't have been there. Looked like a washer, possibly a bump stop. At that point, there was no other option.

I was curious. Usually these things happen due to abuse or something out of the ordinary. Other than the early 80’s GM cars that suffered from morning sickness I’ve not heard of steering racks being replaced.

I was curious. Usually these things happen due to abuse or something out of the ordinary. Other than the early 80’s GM cars that suffered from morning sickness I’ve not heard of steering racks being replaced.

I replace both conventional and electric racks on a regular basis. Anything man-made can fail, and they sure do. Here in MN, the most common issue is fluid leakage from the internal seals. You can design the best seal in the world... however when it's subject to either P/S fluid or ATF that's been sitting for 12 hours at -25 degree temps then suddenly being charged with retaining 2500 PSI there's going to be issues.

Taco IFS racks frequent failures, exaggerated by the readily available options like Cardone remans being complete garbage.

Also @14Accent I love reading your posts. I do some side wrenching but the projects you list in a day would take me weeks. I'm sloooowwwww....

but I enjoy reading what is essentially a window into the pro's world

I think racks on fords are a common occurrence. My moms 2015 Lincoln needed one too
Must be a late model thing... I have original, untouched rack & pinions on my 97 Explorer and 02 Ranger, down to the outer tie rods on both (older Explorer has a gear box). Ford has been big on rack & pinion since the 70s to the point their early system from the unremarkable Mustang II was used in countless hot rods and custom cars. They should know how to do this.

It's frustrating when things that should be figured out become a problem all over again.

Must be a late model thing... I have original, untouched rack & pinions on my 97 Explorer and 02 Ranger, down to the outer tie rods on both (older Explorer has a gear box). Ford has been big on rack & pinion since the 70s to the point their early system from the unremarkable Mustang II was used in countless hot rods and custom cars. They should know how to do this.

It's frustrating when things that should be figured out become a problem all over again.
Ah like Jeep/Stellantis/whatever screwing up manual transmission clutches in 2018 and for several years after?

Those wiley clutches....darned new fangled technology what with friction discs and pressure plates and throwout bearings and other tricky stuff we can't even remember!!

Back