Allpar 200K & 400K mile club - Chrysler Vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by zzyzzx
I wish the 1987 Plymouth Duster person had posted some pics.
Daily driven for 23(!) years and no pictures?
Some of those 400000+ have new engines. I get it, but high mileage cars are only really impressive to me if it has the original motor and trans. I can make an exception for auto trans vehicles, but the one where the guys puts in a new long block at 600k and then keeps counting the mileage is a little weak.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Thanks for sharing the links Stevie
thumbsup2.gif

High miles are not just common in the Toyota Honda crowd.
The difference is perhaps that most Mopar, Chevy and Ford guys just go about their business, while the few Honda and Toyota die hards are busy making all sorts of noise on the internet, not only praising their favorite brand, but making sure to bash the domestics whenever a chance arises.

Ain't that the truth. I was hesitant when i bought my first new Chrysler product (2001 Ram 1500) because of the reputation but it was a very good truck, even the transmission. The highest mileage vehicles I ever saw were 2 Dodge Dakotas, both with well over 400,000 miles and both on original engine and one on the original transmission. My son had a 2001 Dakota that's still in the family with 210,000 miles and only a water pump that has been replaced; has the original starter, alternator, etc.

I've sent more than one Chevy / GMC to the wreckers with perfectly good, original drivetrains, burning less than 1L of oil per OCI, at 350,000~ 420,000 miles on the clock. Most people won't keep a vehicle that long, but if you want to, it's easier to reach those gas engine milestones if you don't buy a Mopar product.

Originally Posted by sopususer
Mopar and long term durability are not two ideas I typically associate together.

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3L here, just passed 241,000 miles.

Biggest repair outside of typical wear items was a new A/C evaporator and.compressorr 5 years ago.

We drove our 1986 Dodge Caravan with its 3 speed transmission 460,000km to the scrap yard on the same transmission and my Dads caravan with the 6 speed is at 300K and for the first 200k I drove it fully loaded with inventory I was carrying around for my job. Our beater Neon also went to the scrap yard with 300k kms on it same transmission and then the aries my dad had forever went to the scrapyard with over 300k on it when the engine snapped the timing chain. And then there is my dad slant 6 Ram van that had 1/2 a million kilometers before it snapped the timing chain and it was the original transmission as well.

Aside from the 4 speeds in the 1990s and the odd one here/there from Chrysler it really is overblown.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Johnny2Bad
I've sent more than one Chevy / GMC to the wreckers with perfectly good, original drivetrains, burning less than 1L of oil per OCI, at 350,000~ 420,000 miles on the clock. Most people won't keep a vehicle that long, but if you want to, it's easier to reach those gas engine milestones if you don't buy a Mopar product.

Did you know that automotive suppliers for domestic supply chain make GM, Mopar and Ford parts at the same location, using the same raw materials, etc?

203k on my Jeep. Original transmission and engine. I'd drive her to California and back worry free.. I just have no desire to go to California.

I won't say that they were troublefree, but I had an '84 caravan w/ 4cyl and 3 speed auto that went well over 200K before it threw a rod on the highway - no major repairs before that (mostly the A/C and things falling off), and concurrently an '89 Grand Voyager w/ 3.0 (smoked from about 45K on) and the Ultradrive 4 speed. Aside from all the accessories falling off and/or failing, the engine and transmission themselves were still original at almost 300K when a hard part broke in the transmission. At that point, we fixed it and replaced the heads, unfortunately, one of the head gaskets leaked less than 100K later and we parked it - so close to the 400K mark - but not worth pulling it apart again. The wood had peeled off long before and everything else was pretty much clapped out.

The one thing they both had going for them were frequent 1,000 mile weekend trips - almost every weekend.

Last edited:
I've seen many Chrysler products get well past 200k on original engines and trannys with no overhauls. Mostly, they are the minivans and Jeeps. I'm starting to see some Pentastars at over 300k that run great. I'm confident my JK will get past 200k without any major issues. It is at 127k now. The water pump, starter, and alternator are all original. Only the spark plugs and belt have been replaced. It runs like new.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
203k on my Jeep. Original transmission and engine. I'd drive her to California and back worry free.. I just have no desire to go to California.

Go to Florida instead, the weather is much nicer there anyhow
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back