Allpar 200K & 400K mile club - Chrysler Vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the Plymouth Voyager entry wherein the guy mentions replacing the turbo. Chrysler sure made some unique vehicles, my parents owned nothing but Mopar (mostly K cars) when I was growing up.

Those 2.2L Turbos, I can't even begin to tell you how many heads / head-gaskets and turbo replacements we did. LOL. Same goes for the 4 speed transmissions of the 1990's, it was like change the oil and change the transmission at the same time.
lol.gif

Or the Mitsu Engines they used in some models that had the automatic oil changing feature with blue-smoke indicator. That was really handy. Just change the filter every 5K and top off the oil.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
Or the Mitsu Engines they used in some models that had the automatic oil changing feature with blue-smoke indicator. That was really handy. Just change the filter every 5K and top off the oil.
grin2.gif

That "feature" lasted for decades!!!

Yeah because Chrysler was too cheap to pay for better quality valve seals. If you took the valve seals from a Mitsubishi engine that was the non-Chrysler version but that also fit the Chrysler 3 Litre you could fix the oil consumption problem permanently Most folks didn't know that.

At the time we didn't have Mitsubishi dealers here in Canada so we used to go to Buffalo and order up a pile to repair cylinder heads with the problem. We made a killing doing this for many 3L mini-vans.

Last edited:
Yeah because Chrysler was too cheap to pay for better quality valve seals. If you took the valve seals from a Mitsubishi engine that was the non-Chrysler version but that also fit the Chrysler 3 Litre you could fix the oil consumption problem permanently Most folks didn't know that.

huh? The internals were the same, Mitsubishi branded vehicles smoked too.

No there was another Mitsu valve seal available that didn't suffer from the same problem the Chrysler ones did. Mitsu had the problem with their engine initially but then revised the seals but Chrysler didn't want to pay the additional I think it was something like $30 per cylinder head for these new seals and kept the affected ones because they lasted through the warranty.

Next time I'm talking to my dad I will ask him what the part numbers were. I'm sure he still remembers.

Last edited:
No there was another Mitsu valve seal available that didn't suffer from the same problem the Chrysler ones did. Mitsu had the problem with their engine initially but then revised the seals but Chrysler didn't want to pay the additional I think it was something like $30 per cylinder head for these new seals and kept the affected ones because they lasted through the warranty.

Link? I know there was an updated seal but all engines got it as a running change.

This is going back over 20 years and it was something we discovered. I'll see what I can dig up. There were other members on here some time ago when this discussion came up that can confirm the Mitsu's didn't have the problem with their 3 litres after the revision so maybe you can find it in the archives here.

This is going back over 20 years and it was something we discovered. I'll see what I can dig up. There were other members on here some time ago when this discussion came up that can confirm the Mitsu's didn't have the problem with their 3 litres after the revision so maybe you can find it in the archives here.

I know they revised the valve guides and the Chrysler engines got it as well as a running change in the engine design.

Right but in the 1990's the Chrysler 3L's would still burn oil after the warranty and it wasn't caused by the guides as those were revised. I think Mitsu revised the seals again for themselves but Chrysler wouldn't go for the increased costs partially because they were going to scrap the 3L and go with the 3.3/3.8 only but this didn't end up happening until the 2000's. It was in this time that we had Mitsu's no longer using oil because of bad valve seals or guides but the Chrysler 3L Mitsu that would. This is when we would visit the Mitsu dealer in NY to get their seals to retrofit into Chrysler heads and the engines would run until the end of time without burning oil.

There was a website that talked about it and I'm trying to find it if it still exists but haven't had luck yet or luck looking for the BITOG post where this came up before.

Last edited:
All love and respect to the Mopar guys on the board, but this thread title had me do a double take. Lots of manufacturers I wouldn't have batted an eyelash at. Definitely the Toyotas, Hondas, and other Japanese OEMs ; I wouldn't be that shocked to see either GM or Ford products (especially their trucks) with that mileage either. But as rshaw125 basically said......

Not sure I believe this.

Mopar and long term durability are not two ideas I typically associate together.

Originally Posted by rshaw125
2008 Ram. 2,000,000 miles major repairs none. Yeah I believe that.

On a Dodge, a transmission replacement isn't major; it's routine maintenance. :p

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

They are not typically trouble free vehicles once they hit higher mileage, but they will last if the owner is interested. Lots of really high mile Jeeps out there, Jeep owners tend to be very passionate about their vehicles and will do what it takes to keep them rolling.

We had three higher mile Chrysler/Jeeps at one time. They were much better in the actual ownership than you would have been told to believe, but they were not gems either. Electrical problems at high miles seemed to be the consistent headache.

The beater neon that we had made it 200,000 miles no problems other than one stuck injector which I cleaned with a fuel additive.

Thanks for sharing the links Stevie
thumbsup2.gif

High miles are not just common in the Toyota Honda crowd.
The difference is perhaps that most Mopar, Chevy and Ford guys just go about their business, while the few Honda and Toyota die hards are busy making all sorts of noise on the internet, not only praising their favorite brand, but making sure to bash the domestics whenever a chance arises.

Originally Posted by Miller88
Originally Posted by rshaw125
2008 Ram. 2,000,000 miles major repairs none. Yeah I believe that.

On a Dodge, a transmission replacement isn't major; it's routine maintenance. :p

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Ain't that the truth.

Mitsubishi 3.0L owner: "I can't believe what a great car Mitsubishi makes... all it does is smoke a little when I start out!"
Chrysler 3.0L owner: "What a lousy car Chrysler makes... can you believe it's already smoking when I take off at a light!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back