200,000 miles is in fact rare, only 1% of vehicles reach it

IMBHO Lexus is a bit much unless you just have to have 'luxury' performance. I will leave the luxury to those that are older and need a softer ride, lmao. I also don't care for Acura or Infinity based on that as the cars look too refined/soft. Not much for Toyota either as I've seen a few family members having rather annoying issues with them. Every brand will have positives/negatives though and no single brand is clearly any better than the rest. Cars are like food and most things in life... totally subjective.
dead wrong Toyota isby far the best brand you can by. its not even close

That's kinda skewed data in my opinion, my work won't even take trades that have 200k mi on them and I know most other dealers in my area won't either.

The high milers are privately sold or bought by a little corner dirt lot

Excluding motorcycles there are 250 million vehicles registered in the USA. One percent is still 2.5 million. How on earth would a person judge if some 20 year old vehicle has 200,000 miles? The average vehicle we know is 12 years old, meaning roughly that half the vehicles are over 12 years old. My 14 year old suburban has 230,000 miles, and that’s just 14,000 miles per year. Using 10,000 miles per year would yield 2000,000 miles in 20 years. An easier statistic is that 8% of vehicles are over 20 years old. That doesn’t mean they have 200,000 miles each but at least some smaller number do.

Last edited:
1% may or may not be true, but I would be more interested in brand/model, what retires them and where. In CA we drive a lotta miles due to lotsa sunny days and we have no rust. From a 60,000 foot level, even accurate statistics are always misleading. Ya gotta dig.

The numbers seem weird because some vehicles got beaten, crashed & tossed early, where a quality vehicle brand, Toyota for one, will probably have 33/100 built motoring to & well beyond 200k.
Once you bundle all these manufacturers together, the 'one in one hundred' statistic make no sense to the individual with 390k+ on the odometer.

I drove a 2006 Sentra to 206K miles and the engine and tranny were still strong,but other repairs totaled $2K to fix so I sent it to the junkyard.

The premise of the article is way, way off. 1% of trade ins at dealerships are over 200k. That skews things an almighty amount. Cars over 200k get sold on craigslist, marketplace, at auctions, etc. Dealers do not want trades with 200k.

The average driver in the United States drives about 12k miles a year and the average car in the United States is 12.5 years old. Do the math. Plot the curve.

Plan on buying a bunch of older one owner Honda/Acura and Toyota before all the EV mandates set in. Like to have an older Prelude,CRX, Integra,Celica GTS,Camry,Tacoma,MR2,etc. I'm sure they all have over 200k already or was at least built to make the trip.

Does anyone see a trend here? NO GM, NO FORD, NO Chrysler, NO Euro, NO Mazda, Nissan, etc. At some point, you either figure out that you need to buy high quality, well-known durable goods or you keep putting yourself in the poorhouse trying to win the lottery buying junk.
Yet Ford Superduty, GM HD’s, Expeditions, Tahoes and Suburbans will top the list of ALL vehicles with over 200k miles. It comes down to knowledge of what you’re buying. Do a little research. Learn things like a Fusion with a 2.5=reliable, a Fusion with a 1.5/1.6 gonna be problematic.

I know the generic response is “well Toyota/Honda don’t make ANY unreliable vehicles” but that’s just as false as saying domestics don’t make any good ones.

Here is my '08 Sorento...it only cost me a rear axle, 2 front bearings, 2 sets of tires, a set of brakes, a set of rear bump stops, a set of outter tie rods (and alignment), a lot of oil changes (every 5k), wiper blades, and car washes, various fluid flushes and changes, a set of radiator hoses, cap and new radiator, belts and tensioner, 1 set of plugs, 2 headlight restore kits and a few bulbs to reach this point...AND a couple of batteries...

Attachments

• Resized_20220803_185900.jpeg
    Resized_20220803_185900.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
They probably shouldn't be buying new cars or anything close to new. I bet most of these are 55+ drivers. I understand the indoctrination that has gone on for 40-50 years that you need a new car for it to be dependable, but that's simply not true. It's a shame people didn't learn/teach themselves differently through those years.
You are forgetting that dirty four letter word.

RUST!

Last vehicle I had towed to a junkyard, engine and tranny were fine at ~60K mi, engine subframe rotted out, could no longer even jack it up on manufacturer designated pinch rails.

Had a different vehicle, also seldom driven once replaced from being a daily driver, and rust caused the strut spring seat to fail, dropping front corner onto the tire. That would have been a nasty accident if I'd been taking a curve on the expressway doing 70MPH.

Still have another vehicle, last inspection I did while replacing rusted spring seats, showed the spring shackels also nearly shot. Another dangerous situation if it failed at high speed.

A lot of people don't inspect and repair, they inspect and retire, if they inspect at all.

It also depends on what the risk is. Typical healthy 30 year old person gets stranded, they call for help or hike their way out. Elderly, disabled, or ill person, gets stuck in severe heat or cold, could die from it even if they have a cell signal and a tow truck is eventually coming.

Just sayin'... if I was in a high risk group, I'd much rather be in a 5 year old vehicle than a 16 year old vehicle (average miles/year of vehicles on US roads is a little under 13K/yr last time I checked so at 200K mi as per the topic # would average out to a 16 y/o vehicle).

Here is my '08 Sorento...it only cost me a rear axle, 2 front bearings, 2 sets of tires, a set of brakes, a set of rear bump stops, a set of outter tie rods (and alignment), a lot of oil changes (every 5k), wiper blades, and car washes, various fluid flushes and changes, a set of radiator hoses, cap and new radiator, belts and tensioner, 1 set of plugs, 2 headlight restore kits and a few bulbs to reach this point...AND a couple of batteries...
OK-so here is the key question-Of the work performed how much did you do your self?

Seems like carfax would be a significantly better place to get data. A bare min report at least on NH and MA car shows only the yearly state inspection and mileage .

I caught a DIY seller fraud on mileage of well used vehicle using carfax that way. Did not buy and they fixed ad as I threatened to report them.

Back