All Weather Tires for Crosstrek?

I thought you previously had Nokian eNTYREs before and not WRG4s?
Had both. entyre I liked, not sure why I only bought one set… I think it was because RT43’s were a screaming deal back then.

Think it was WRG2’s that I tried one year. Thought they were too much of a compromise after having “real” snows. Plus fast wear and got loud quick.

I did look at CC2, but I just can't get convinced their tread pattern is a good recipe for snow and ice, alas, I have not been able to find any test results comparing their performance to the other three tires I mentioned, so I may be wrong. I've also read the CC2 is rather noisy.
Plenty of CC2 customer reviews on youtube. The review I saw a couple days ago. A guy with them was driving in 6-8in or snow. He was doing very well in that depth.

Michelin CC2. Got these installed on both my 14 CR-V and 18 Legacy. We drive both cars a lot. ~12k miles per year onthe Legacy and around the same or maybe a little more on the CR-V. We also drive the kids in both cars, so I chose those over other options which included the PS4 A/S for the Legacy and the Defender LTX for the CR-V I should note, we had the Defenders on the CR-V and they worked out well. Just wanted to supposed enhanced snow traction for the winter. If I wasn't driving the kids in those cars, I would have gotten the other options.

While on vacation in Wildwood NJ last week, I saw a lot of cars with the Michelin CC2.

Reactions: hrv
I can vouch for the Generals. The 365AW is a good tire. I've used it year-round on a newer Subaru with no problems :)

The WRG4 is also good. They probably have the best snow capability of tires you can use year-round, and their biggest complaint seems to be shorter treadlife, but for driving only 4k a year, that's not a problem.

See what is on sale Black Friday, then shop for the best deal.

I am very happy with the Toyo Celsius.
That's good to know, never heard of them until they came on a car purchase. Been a bit concerned, they seemed noisy at first, but seem to have quieted down (but a Corolla isn't a quiet car). They either got quiet or I stopped noticing, not sure. No plans to try in snow though.

Take into consideration that WRG4 is actually sold as snow tires on some markets in Europe. They are more geared toward snow tires than all-weather tires. So, if snow performance is a priority, those would probably be the best of the tires mentioned. I bet in dry and wet; they will lack performance compared to CC2 etc.

That's good to know, never heard of them until they came on a car purchase. Been a bit concerned, they seemed noisy at first, but seem to have quieted down (but a Corolla isn't a quiet car). They either got quiet or I stopped noticing, not sure. No plans to try in snow though.
Why don't you want to try them in snow? I drove in snow (6") up in Laconia last winter and had no problems.

I asked this some time ago in another thread, but didn't get much feedback, so I'm starting a new thread.

Before winter comes, I want to ditch the OEM Falkens and install something that will handle west Michigan winters, but that can also make it through the Summer without quickly melting away. No spirited driving.

Size is 225/55/18. I only put on about 4k miles a year so treadlife isn't important. Winter capabilities aside, it'd be nice if the tires weren't noisy. No off-roading.

Currently looking at Nokian WRG4, Bridgestone Weatherpeak, and maybe General 365AW. Is there anything better? Any new all-weather tires coming out in the next few months? Wish Conti would offer something in the US, aside from the low-end Generals...

Thoughts?
Had Nokian on my OutBack and they were great here around Toronto (GTA)

I had the Vredstein Quatrac Pro on a few cars and I really liked them.

IMG_0291.jpeg

YouTube Video - Tyre Reviews - The Best 10 All Season / All Weather Tires for 2022/23 Tested and Rated!

Slight variances as these are Eurospec Tire Models, but Michelin CC2 has always been at the top or very near it for Euro All-Season (US "All-Weather"). Additionally, most reviews only test tires when new or barely worn in, never really at half tread or lower which is where most Michelin tires tend to perform almost like new when compared to other brands.

I've got about 22k on my set, treadware is still rocking on and snow grip is about as good as a lower/mid tier brand dedicated winter tire. Noise-wise, its about the same (you aren't really going to notice a decibel or 2 lower or higher); the only noise factor that I have noticed is that it tends to pick up and hold 1/4" pebbles in the tread and that may click/clack as you drive along. Also, since they are directional tires, front to back rotations only (so you can't easily rotate if you run a staggered setup).

I would use the new tire purchase to switch to some smaller rims. I guess a crosstrek isn't actually much lighter or much different than an Outback, but those seem like big tires for a smaller car. I'm sure you could sell the OEM wheels and tires for a good price too.
215/65R17 is what I would be looking at, might as well gain a little more side wall, better snow and hydroplaning performance and probably cheaper tires too.
I really noticed the difference in sidewall and tire diameter when we got our Outback with 225/65R17's, compared to the Focus on relatively tiny 195/60R15's, so for the next set of all seasons I went up in profile and overall diameter on the Focus, and its just a bit quieter, smoother riding, and handling didn't really decline at all as I thought it might. Now the speedo is right on too.

Last edited:
Why don't you want to try them in snow? I drove in snow (6") up in Laconia last winter and had no problems.
Picked up a set of steelies with some good tread Dunlop Wintermaxx tires off CL. Figured I would be driving more in inclement weather this year so I wanted something more dedicated for bad weather.

Take into consideration that WRG4 is actually sold as snow tires on some markets in Europe. They are more geared toward snow tires than all-weather tires. So, if snow performance is a priority, those would probably be the best of the tires mentioned. I bet in dry and wet; they will lack performance compared to CC2 etc.
It was sold in europe as the WR A4, until Nokian discontinued it, probably replaced by the SnowProof line.

Consumer reports doesn't like the WRG4 for hydroplaning resistance, and it's definitely a softer compound compared to the CC2.

It was sold in europe as the WR A4, until Nokian discontinued it, probably replaced by the SnowProof line.

Consumer reports doesn't like the WRG4 for hydroplaning resistance, and it's definitely a softer compound compared to the CC2.
Yeah, it is real snow tire, I was not sure what was exact designation, but it is same design that I remember seeing in Europe. Yes, SnowProof replaced it, they moved this to North America.

Yeah, it is real snow tire, I was not sure what was exact designation, but it is same design that I remember seeing in Europe. Yes, SnowProof replaced it, they moved this to North America.
They may be a winter tire, but it's in the market that Nokian refers to as "Central European" winter tire, which is more of a mild-winter weather pattern, not something you find in the mountains, or in the Polar region, so it's going to trade off some of the ice & deep snow traction for better cold-dry and cold-wet grip hovering around the freezing point.

For example: Think Michelin Alpin vs X-ice. Both dedicated winter tires, but aimed to 2 completely different markets. Or continental Viking Contact vs TS-series.

They may be a winter tire, but it's in the market that Nokian refers to as "Central European" winter tire, which is more of a mild-winter weather pattern, not something you find in the mountains, or in the Polar region, so it's going to trade off some of the ice & deep snow traction for better cold-dry and cold-wet grip hovering around the freezing point.

For example: Think Michelin Alpin vs X-ice. Both dedicated winter tires, but aimed to 2 completely different markets. Or continental Viking Contact vs TS-series.
The problem with that designation is that the most brutal winters, with the highest mountains (by far), are in Central to West Europe, the Alps and Southern Alps. It is a mixed bag with tires. You have numerous tires aimed at that market that have far better properties in snow than what Nokian refers as Nordic tires. I would not say that TS is anything less capable than VC. I owned VC7, and numerous models of TS, starting with, I think, TS780 or something like that, some 20yrs ago. However, they ain't cheap, which is where the real difference is. TS or Good Year Ultra Grip for the European market, were and still are my favorite snow tires, as they do everything really, really well.

Back