All VW/Audi BITOGers chime in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
2001 Audi S4, ~49.5k miles

Have run AMSOIL 0w30, M1 0w40, and am thinking about using the AMSOIL 5w40 for my next interval.

Seem to always have a problem with oil consumption when I use M1.. no idea why though

quote:

Originally posted by Craig:
2001 New Beetle, 1.8 Turbo, 13,000 miles, auto trans which blew
up @ 4,000 miles.
Was using the series 2000 Amsoil 0W-30 but since the new European 5W-40 came out have been using that.
This is the wife's car, hardly broken in.

My ride is a '04 Acura TL which gets the series 2000 0W-30,
Completely change the ATF to Amsoil ATF. Great car.

I wanted to change the auto trans to Amsoil ATF but the dealer says this unit is closed and do not recommend doing anything with it.
Whenever a problem occurs with these trannys they just throw them away and put a new one in.
Craig

If you're talking about changing the tranny fluid on the Beetle, have a look here...

http://forums.newbeetle.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32549&highlight=transmission+fluid+change

and here if you actually want to change it...

http://www.cst.cmich.edu/users/willi1gl/VW/autoFluidchange.pdf

2005 Audi S4 w/ the 4.2L V-8. After my first change from the factory (SLX ?) @ 5K mi. I put in Pentosynth 5W-40. Since then I was having a little trouble deciding, as some on here will attest to. I've decided to try Silkolene Pro S 5W-40. I'll either stick w/ that or the MOTUL 8100 E-Tech 0W-40. On my previous 2001.5 S4 2.7TT I ran M1 0W-40 but always was annoyed by valvetrain clatter. At 40K I put in the MOTUL and it seemed a little quieter. The M1 was, however, easily attainable at AZ and on paper, at least, seemed a good choice.

2001 Audi A4 (2.8L V6) with ~58,000 miles on it.

First used Mobil 1 5W30 and later 0W40 for the first few changes, then Castrol Syntec 0W30 or 5W40 since about 25,000 miles.

I use a pump to extract the oil at 5,000 miles and change the oil and filter at 10,000 mile intervals.

I just hate the bellypan...what a PITA.

Here's a list of my VW stuff that I've owened:

1980 Scirocco S - It was a great car but if it rained then it was a guaranteed NO START. I kept a can of wire drier spray in the hatch.

1980 Rabbit LS diesel - the most reliable piece of junk ever built. That engine is still running to this day but the rest of the car was scat when it rolled out of the Westmoreland factory.

1997 Passat GLX VR6 - a great car that had run its course. It was the last year of the B4 chassis and it was seriously due for a update. Not a bad car but a nit-picky little bastid.

1999 Golf GL TDI - this is my daily driver now. This little car puts a smile on my face just looking at it. It requests more than the normal attention from my wrench set compared to a Corolla or Sentra but it's worth every second of quality time that I spend with it.

1982 Scirocco, which I bought from a guy who had just rebuilt the engine, for essentially the cost of the engine rebuild.

I'm using Mobil-1 in the engine, and MTL in the transaxle, so far no issues with either. I have driven it about 60K miles since buying it about 3 years ago.

I havn't done any UOA so don't have any objective data, subjectively the engine seems to be staying clean and the tranny shifts much better than it did with whatever dino lube the PO had put in it.

Not mine but my sister's, 01 S4 (2.7 biturbo). Might as well be mine because I put more milage on it than she does. She works Fed and has company car yadda, yadda. Believe it or not, dealer maintenance (free for first 4 years) put 0W-40 M1 in it. Now that her swell brother is doing the maintenance, GC fills the sump.

Next project, gotta attend to the brakes. Hmmm....guess that will mean lots of "test" driving
grin.gif

2000 passat glx 4motion variant; 68,000 miles. have used the shell rotella t 5w40 (walmart), mobil1 0w40 (advance), and valvoline syn 5w40 (napa) for the most recent oil changes; now have acquired a growing stash of 40 plus qts of green gc 0w30 (autozone) ready for the passat. will change to gc at 70k miles.

2002 golf gls 4motion; 50,000 miles. have used either delvac 1 5w40 (key oil in nashville), or mobil1 t&suv 5w40 (walmart).

Daughter recently bought a '96 Passat TDI w/157,000 miles. Previous(orig) owner maintained the engine and other mechanicals very well as evidenced by an inch thick maint. folder but neglected the interior and exterior. So it needs lots of cleaning, door handle/electric window repair and a little rust repair.
It will run mostly 100% Biodesiel and will be changed from the $72.00 dealer oil service (!!!!)to DIY Mobil 1 0W40. Will also be installing the CAT fuel filter kit suggested on www.tdiclub.com.
Mark in NC

1996 S6 2.2 TQ Avant, driven 159,000 km (~99300 miles). Last 2 years I've been using Mobil 1 0W-40. Before, Castrol GTX Magnatec 5W-40, Statoil LazerWay 5W-40, Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40.
I've had no trouble with valvetrain clatter with these oils. Oil and filter are changed at 10,000 km intervals (~6200 miles). Air filter changed every year. Usage temperature: never more than 30C, never less than -15C.

2000 A4 Avant 1.8T QMXS. Since 50K, I've been using M1 0W-40. I use 5K OCIs. I'm currently in the middle of an ARX cycle.

Once that's done (at 55k), I'm probably going to try a 5W-40, just for a comparison. However, I'm shying away from M1 TSUV because it's not VW 502 approved, and I want records of 502 oil usage in case I need to take advantage of the extended sludge warranty claim.

Consequently, I've been eyeing Elf Excellium LDX 5W-40 as a possible candidate.

DD

2004 Jetta TDI GL 34k. Because of the PD engine, I'm running Motul 5W-40 Technosynthese meeting VW spec 505.01. After the warranty has expired, I'll be switching to 5W-40 Delvac 1. Car sees about 120 miles per day in mostly highway driving.

2001 Passat 1.8T (AUG) -- Mobil 1 0W-40 and "official" VW 068-115-561B oversize filter, on a 3K mile / 5K km OCI, because of urban driving.

I don't believe for a moment the "sealed transmission -- do not touch" advice I receive from the VW dealership and plan to change the filter and fluid (probably official ZF and VW approved juice) every 30-40K miles / 50-65K km.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back