Question about VW/AUDI 0W-30 oil

Hi guys,

I have a few quarts of the latest version of the VW/AUDI 0W-30 oil (with the VW 504/507 approvals), left over from an Audi that I sold recently. I am thinking about using up this oil in my 2007 MINI Cooper S (R56 chassis code with the N14 engine). This car has about 90K miles on it and has been running on M1 0W-40 for most of its life. It consumes about 1 quart of the M1 0W-40 in 3000 miles.

My research shows the oil in question is similar in formulation to M1 EPS 0W-30, if not identical. The 0W-30 viscosity is approved for the MINI but I understand the M1 EPS or the VW/AUDI stuff to be a low-SAPS oil. I would be running this oil for a relatively short OCI. The oil in this car gets changed every 2 years or 2000 miles. I ride my motorcycles most of the time and this car does not see much use. But I make sure to avoid short trips and fully warm up the oil every time I take the car out.

Would there be any potential issues with running this oil in the MINI?

It is generally not recommended to mix different types or brands of motor oil, as the performance and characteristics of different oils can vary. Using a motor oil that is not specifically recommended for your vehicle can potentially cause problems, such as reduced performance or engine damage.

That being said, it is possible that using the VW/AUDI 0W-30 oil in your MINI Cooper S for a relatively short period of time may not cause any issues. The oil in question appears to be similar in formulation to M1 EPS 0W-30, which is approved for use in MINI vehicles. However, it is important to keep in mind that using a low-SAPS oil in a vehicle that is not designed for it can potentially lead to reduced protection against engine wear, as low-SAPS oils contain lower levels of certain additives that help to protect against wear and deposit formation.

I see, let me clarify that I was considering doing a full oil change with the oil in question since I have 8 quarts of it, so I would not be mixing different brands and viscosities. But the use of a low-SAPS oil in an engine not designed for it is a concern.

I see, let me clarify that I was considering doing a full oil change with the oil in question since I have 8 quarts of it, so I would not be mixing different brands and viscosities. But the use of a low-SAPS oil in an engine not designed for it is a concern.
It will be fine with today’s low sulfur fuels.

Hi guys,

I have a few quarts of the latest version of the VW/AUDI 0W-30 oil (with the VW 504/507 approvals), left over from an Audi that I sold recently. I am thinking about using up this oil in my 2007 MINI Cooper S (R56 chassis code with the N14 engine). This car has about 90K miles on it and has been running on M1 0W-40 for most of its life. It consumes about 1 quart of the M1 0W-40 in 3000 miles.

My research shows the oil in question is similar in formulation to M1 EPS 0W-30, if not identical. The 0W-30 viscosity is approved for the MINI but I understand the M1 EPS or the VW/AUDI stuff to be a low-SAPS oil. I would be running this oil for a relatively short OCI. The oil in this car gets changed every 2 years or 2000 miles. I ride my motorcycles most of the time and this car does not see much use. But I make sure to avoid short trips and fully warm up the oil every time I take the car out.

Would there be any potential issues with running this oil in the MINI?
No issues, the ESP 0w30 is a low saps oil but today that makes no difference, the problem was with higher sulfur levels in the fuel which was previously used. Today sulfur levels are lower making using a low saps oil a non issue.

you might benefit from a higher hot viscosity oil like my loose garage queen 2001 TT 225Q that gets 15-50 in Pa summers but the change is with 2 qts of 15-50 both Redline as it only has a 4.25 Qt sump! even Redline oils with OW oils have a lesser Noack + prolly need more viscosity improvers to go from a Ow to a 30w at running temps

even Redline oils with OW oils have a lesser Noack + prolly need more viscosity improvers to go from a Ow to a 30w at running temps
That's not how that works at all. The Winter rating (the number in front of the W) is a totally different grading system than the number after the W. This has been explained many times.

this oil will be fine to use in your vehicle, especially since you are doing the oil changes so frequently. i have used this exact vw oil in my 17 4Runner with excellent results from Blackstone UOA. i do my oil changes every 5k miles

Back