All Toyota's still come with a full spare tire....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
My Hemi Magnum had traction & stability control...the spare was a donut.

Many manuals will tell you not to run a donut on the drive wheels.

Don't have the manual (or the car) anymore, but I recall the only warnings with the spare were not to tow, not to exceed 60MPH, and not go through an automatic car wash with the donut installed, and to have the flat repaired or replaced ASAP.

Full-Size Spare Tire w/Alloy Wheel in my Lexus.
Comes with the Ultra Luxury Pkg.

$205 list option on base ES350.

I've never added the full size spare to a tire rotation.
Nice having a spare that can be left on longer and is safer at highway speeds.
Even better when the spare is on a matching alloy/matching rim.
smile.gif

2005 Corolla has a donut but you can put the full size in there which is a nice design if you have a full trunk.

i wouldn't want the extra weight of a full-size spare. a donut is enough to get you to a shop to have it replaced. that's all you need. the fix-a-flat cans would probably work too.

Originally Posted By: jmsjags
i wouldn't want the extra weight of a full-size spare. a donut is enough to get you to a shop to have it replaced. that's all you need. the fix-a-flat cans would probably work too.

I think it's probably negligible in the grand scheme of things. I would rather a normal size tire that can handle highway speeds.

Originally Posted By: user52165
Originally Posted By: rslifkin
^ At least they were nice enough to give you runflats, rather than just a can of fix-a-flat.

"Give" you runflats?

Also, Have you ever priced a new set of those? Besides that, there are very limited selection of available choices. Many new car buyers weren't aware that had them until it was time for replacement. Obviously not BITOGers but you get the idea.

Yep, I frequent a Sienna owners site, and the runflat tires that come with the AWD Siennas are universally hated. Most long time AWD owners switch out to regular tires and either carry a spare donut loose in the back cargo area , or a can of tire slime.

My car shipped with no spare at all. Not that uncommon these days with huge wheels and tires.

I am THRILLED it did not have RF tires. They are almost universally despised, and I cannot describe the incredible improvement in ride when I took them off a Vette I bought at auction.

No RF's for me.

As part of my research on the Sienna, I compared weights and costs of RFT vs non-RFT. The RFTs were 7 lbs heavier each (!). That's a 25% increase. And that's unsprung weight, folks. It is impossible to hide that much weight below the suspension. The OE RFTs are $280 each on TR before road hazard, tax and freight and the selection is very limited.

For about half the cost of the AWD "upgrade", one can buy a second set of alloys and Blizzaks and get through just about anything with FWD, have MUCH nimbler handling, 2+ mpg better fuel mileage every mile of every day and 230 less pounds to haul around. Once you really analyze all the design compromises Toyota had to engineer into this minivan just to say they have the only AWD on the market, it is mindboggling.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Once you really analyze all the design compromises Toyota had to engineer into this minivan just to say they have the only AWD on the market, it is mindboggling.

I'm pretty sure they're not doing it for bragging rights; they must be selling them, or they wouldn't have gone to the trouble. Chrysler dropped the AWD option on its vans after 2004. They say the take rate was too low. 2005 is also the first year for the Stow 'n Go seating, with the under-floor storage bins for the 2nd row seats...no room for a propeller shaft. Buyers who wanted an AWD option, for whatever reason, then had to shop elsewhere.

I used to moderate a Chrysler minivan forum, and you'd be surprised at the number of comments that resembled, "once you really analyze all the design compromises Chrysler had to engineer into this minivan just to say they have folding seats, it is mindboggling." Folks really did lament the loss of AWD. Those few owners were as passionate about their AWD minivans as any vehicle owners I've seen.

I guess the point is, it might be better to have the AWD option available, and have the choice to upgrade the tires, than to have no AWD option at all.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Once you really analyze all the design compromises Toyota had to engineer into this minivan just to say they have the only AWD on the market, it is mindboggling.

I'm pretty sure they're not doing it for bragging rights; they must be selling them, or they wouldn't have gone to the trouble. Chrysler dropped the AWD option on its vans after 2004. They say the take rate was too low. 2005 is also the first year for the Stow 'n Go seating, with the under-floor storage bins for the 2nd row seats...no room for a propeller shaft. Buyers who wanted an AWD option, for whatever reason, then had to shop elsewhere.

I used to moderate a Chrysler minivan forum, and you'd be surprised at the number of comments that resembled, "once you really analyze all the design compromises Chrysler had to engineer into this minivan just to say they have folding seats, it is mindboggling." Folks really did lament the loss of AWD. Those few owners were as passionate about their AWD minivans as any vehicle owners I've seen.

I guess the point is, it might be better to have the AWD option available, and have the choice to upgrade the tires, than to have no AWD option at all.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for offering consumers as many choices as possible (we specifically wish for 7 pass FWD XLE). But, as I'm sure you'll agree, the average minivan buyer (such as my wife) knows nothing about these compromises and their impact--all they are thinking about is getting around more safely in the snow. In addition to being an oil geek, I'm super anal about my tires. I work for a non-tire division of a major tire maker so I'm more focused than most on tire nuances.

In the case of the Toyota Sienna XLE, AWD brings you the following consequences:
1. No spare
2. 230 extra pounds to haul around forever
3. 2 mpg lower mileage on an already thirsty vehicle
4. $280 replacement tires (vs. $120)
5. $2300 higher purchase price
6. 7 additional pounds of unsprung weight on each corner
7. Slower acceleration
8. More sluggish handling

If one is concerned about driving in snow and ice, the obvious solution is to buy FWD and set aside the $1200 or so it will cost to buy a set of nice wheels, TPMS and Blizzaks to swap out during winter. Or if you don't want to fool with that just go to your friendly neighborhood Firestone Complete Car Care shop and let them swap the tires for you for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back