All season tires for Subaru WRX

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a similar vein to Pablo's recent thread about winter tires, I'm going to be getting new tires for my WRX pretty soon. The OEM tires were Dunlog SP Sport 01 summer tires, and they've actually worn really well all things considered. I've been happy with them. But I want to replace them with performance all-seasons because it does get "cold" where I live (down to just below freezing) and there's always the off chance they'll see a slight dusting of snow on plowed freeways when we take holiday trips to visit family. I don't want to sacrifice too much driving feel for tread wear.

I've been considering three options so far, but my search has been pretty unsophisticated:

1) Dunlop SP Sport Signature. Reasonable price. The reason it's on my list is because I've been so satisfied with the current tires.

2) General G-Max AS 03: Also reasonably priced. This is on my list because I had a set of General Altimax HPs on a previous car and liked them, but I don't know much about these.

3) Pirelli PZero Nero AS: A bit more expensive. More research is needed on these but I know the PZero line is really popular as OEM tires on "mortal level" performance vehicles so I thought it might be a good option to look into.

I think there are good options from Michelin, Goodyear, Yoko, etc. as well but this is my list so far.

Anyone have any experiences with the above that might sway someone's decision? Or other recommendations for performance all seasons?

The top All-season tire for a wrx

The brand new (in 2013) Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3

more dry/wet traction than many max summer tires.

good for light snow, not obnoxious.
mi_pilot_spt_as3_ci2_l.jpg

you can go much much cheaper with alternatives, but not better.

I've been reasonably happy with kumho 4x which are probably close to 50% cheaper with any kind of deal/sale.
I wouldnt buy those for a wrx.. W-Rated or not.

Last edited:
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. /thread

This is the new benchmark in the category -- all of the tests are showing it to be pretty much on-par with current summer tires but without the cold pavement drawbacks.

I really loved the RE960 and shortly the replacement RE970AS on my 2004 WRX. Wonderful balance for the vehicle and from new to end wet traction and noise level was consistent. Unlike many tires that degrade at some point in there life.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. /thread

This is the new benchmark in the category -- all of the tests are showing it to be pretty much on-par with current summer tires but without the cold pavement drawbacks.

Just put 4 new AS3 on the S class. Great dry grip, quiet ride. Can't go wrong with these....

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Just put 4 new AS3 on the S class. Great dry grip, quiet ride. Can't go wrong with these....

You see, some people can't afford an S-class and expensive Michelin tires.

The Michelins end up being about $170 more (including tax) than the SP Sports or GMax at my local shop I think. The warranty is a bit better on the Dunlops but I'm not sure how much that's worth.

That's a chunk of change but if the Pilot Sports really are as good as they sound like they are it's probably worth it.

A friend recently put a set of these on his Mazdaspeed 3 and likes them. I don't know why they slipped my mind before. I think they're at the top of my list now.

Originally Posted By: rationull
The Michelins end up being about $170 more (including tax) than the SP Sports or GMax at my local shop I think.

Oops. Actually they're about $230 more.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Originally Posted By: Astro14

You see, some people can't afford an S-class and expensive Michelin tires.

Spare me the class envy. You don't know what I paid for the car, but I'll give you a hint, it's less than the sticker price of the WRX in question, if that car was bought new.

So, in fact, many people can afford my car...now, can they afford to maintain it? That's the more interesting question.

And while tires on the Big Benz aren't cheap...the Michelin AS3s are competitive with the Continental DWS and others...in fact, in the WRXs size, (225/45R17, right?) using Tirerack.com, they're $156...about $20 more than the DWS, and $15 more than the Dunlops...again, not expensive relative to what the OP already has.

You see tommygunn, the facts simply don't support your comment.

Last edited:
The Michelins end up being about $170 more (including tax) than the SP Sports or GMax at my local shop I think.

It's a WRX. The only part of the car that touches the road.....

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Michelin
Primacy HP

Those are summer tires.

Originally Posted By: Garandman

It's a WRX. The only part of the car that touches the road.....

Don't get me wrong, I agree. These are still at the top of my list, I just wanted to correct my statement. The first number I found was actually for the V rated tires instead of the Y rated ones that technically I'd need to get.

Got Pilot Sport AS/3s mounted today. Too early to tell how I'll like them but man, I love that new tire smell!

Good choice!

you will love them. just wait out the first 1000miles to let them break in and wear off any mold release compound etc.

Those tires are perfect for the wrx.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Very much looking forward to your review of them after a few K miles and some time spent in the white stuff.

I will certainly post back with opinions but they are unlikely to see any white stuff where I live!

I would expect them to be mediocre at best in anything over a few inches of snow. just due to the tread design.

the nice part is they dont turn into plastic when its cold out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back