All season tires for Subaru WRX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rand

the nice part is they dont turn into plastic when its cold out

Right -- that's why I wanted to replace the OEMs with AS instead of summer tires. It doesn't snow here but in the winter when I'm driving to work it can be in the upper 20s deg F. Cold enough that I could tell the difference with the original tires.

I'm actual very happy with my Dunlop Winter Maxx tires in the wet and cold, but it hasn't snowed here since the day BEFORE I bought my car! I know those would have been too much winter for you. One thing for sure the summer slicks would have been terrible.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I'm actual very happy with my Dunlop Winter Maxx tires in the wet and cold, but it hasn't snowed here since the day BEFORE I bought my car! I know those would have been too much winter for you. One thing for sure the summer slicks would have been terrible.

Yeah .. every forum post or review I've read of the stock SP Sport 01's where someone has tried to use them in light snow have indicated they're terrible in that situation!

Originally Posted By: rationull
Originally Posted By: Pablo

Yeah .. every forum post or review I've read of the stock SP Sport 01's where someone has tried to use them in light snow have indicated they're terrible in that situation!

Snow? They are terrible in micro drizzle!
grin2.gif
crazy2.gif

I absolutely hate No Season tires and make no attempts to hide my disdain for them. To me, the only proper wayis to have UHP summer tires for summer, and UHP winter tires for winter.

THAT SAID... I decided on a whim to put some Pilot AS3 on my 325i to see if technology had improved, and I love them. They are not even close to the PSS/etc I usually run, but they actually outperform almost all cheaper UHP summer tires, and compete with mid-range ones for grip while trouncing them for wet traction. I used them in the snow for the first time recently, and the reports and test results are right, they are phenomenal.

This is with a very aggressive suspension setup, too, which highlights any flaws in tires.

They are the only All Season I can recommend, but I do absolutely recommend them without any reservations!

Originally Posted By: Rand
you will love them. just wait out the first 1000miles to let them break in and wear off any mold release compound etc.//
Tire Rack says:

Quote:
As tires are cured, a release lubricant is applied to prevent them from sticking in their mold. Some of the lubricant stays on the surface of your tires, reducing traction until it is worn away. Five hundred miles of easy acceleration, cornering and braking will allow the mold release lubricant to wear off, allowing the other tire components to begin working together.
Some tire manufacturers have gone to great lengths to minimize or eliminate mold release. Can't find anythnig that says that Michelin car tires are one of those.

Originally Posted By: nleksan
I absolutely hate No Season tires and make no attempts to hide my disdain for them. To me, the only proper wayis to have UHP summer tires for summer, and UHP winter tires for winter.

THAT SAID... I decided on a whim to put some Pilot AS3 on my 325i to see if technology had improved, and I love them. They are not even close to the PSS/etc I usually run, but they actually outperform almost all cheaper UHP summer tires, and compete with mid-range ones for grip while trouncing them for wet traction. I used them in the snow for the first time recently, and the reports and test results are right, they are phenomenal.

This is with a very aggressive suspension setup, too, which highlights any flaws in tires.

They are the only All Season I can recommend, but I do absolutely recommend them without any reservations!

To be fair, compared to many I do live in the land of No Seasons!

It gets cold enough here to be below optimal temps for summer tires but not cold enough IMO for dedicated winters. To boot the temperature swings pretty far. Between this week and last, it's been high 20s on the way to work in the morning some days, and some days during the day it's been in the high 70s to mid 80s.

I'm willing to sacrifice performance for versatility but it's pretty nice that you don't have to quite as much anymore.

Then I would stake my reputation on the Pilot AS3! Of course, I realize that's pretty much worthless as I don't think I have much of one here, but it's the thought thatcounts, r ight?
wink.gif

With snow and sleet coming down this evening, a couple of near-full throttle runs has me very impressed with the AS3. Outstanding grip on wet/cold pavement.

For the record, the car will light up the tires in a straight line on dry pavement, so a near full power pull is a pretty good test of grip in a straight line.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
With snow and sleet coming down this evening, a couple of near-full throttle runs has me very impressed with the AS3. Outstanding grip on wet/cold pavement.

For the record, the car will light up the tires in a straight line on dry pavement, so a near full power pull is a pretty good test of grip in a straight line.

Wow. I am impressed. I have yet to venture much past 1/4 throttle......too scary
lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif
Seriously this car pulls, but I back away immediately at 4000 rpm. 450 miles to go!

Nokian WRG 3 all weather tire is an appealing choice for all year round Subaru tires.

Originally Posted By: buster
Nokian WRG 3 all weather tire is an appealing choice for all year round Subaru tires.

Unless I had ice walls to climb, ^^^THESE are what I would get for the winter if I owned an STI/WRX.
wink.gif

I have nokian wrg2,s on an 06 passat. Almost to the wear bars and still good in Wisconsin snow, and 50k on them. I also have them on a 01 Tahoe. These are the best tires I've ever had. I can't wait to get a new set for the passat. Little pricy though

1400 miles so far and nothing eventful to report but I said I'd update!

No snow but we had some really heavy rain for a few days last week and the tires didn't miss a beat. Not a hint of instability, although this is what I would've expected given I don't drive too crazily.

Misc thoughts:

- I haven't noticed any improvement in ride quality or smoother feel through the wheel. Not unexpected since these aren't GT tires, but I had assumed these would feel a bit softer given they're all-seasons.

- I think they are a bit quieter than the outgoing tires, but could be placebo (or could just be thicker new tire tread).

- Hard to tell at my experience level and without a direct A/B comparison, but feel like the car understeers a touch more under hard cornering than with the OEM tires. Nothing a little manhandling and a little throttle doesn't cure though.

So far, so good.

The Pilot Sport A/S 3s are about as good as it gets in an all season, with the only other tire close is the slightly less expensive BFG g Force Super Sport all seasons, from the same parent company (and which hopefully shares some of the tech of said parent company).
wink.gif

The BFGs are probably the lesser tire in snow/on ice, but equal or slightly better on dry roads (considering the tread patterns).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back