All-Fleet 15-40 vs Rotella.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 2005 Suzuki Katana 750 (air/oil cooled). For most of its life it ran great on Kawasaki Synthetic 10-40. I then switched to Rotella T6 synthetic 5-40 (SN and no mention of JASO) which the clutch didn't like. I'm now running Rotella T4 dino 15-40 (SM JASO) and all is well again. I recently picked up two 5gal buckets of all fleet 15-40 for $35 each from tractor supply company. I think they were on blowout because they meet SM specs, not the new SN. On the label there is no mention of meeting a JASO spec or allison multi sump transmission spec. Does anyone have experience running this oil in a wet clutch application? Thanks.

https://hd.valvoline.com/our-products/valvoline-all-fleet-plus-e900-engine-oil https://hd.valvoline.com/our-products/valvoline-all-fleet-plus-e900-engine-oil

Just because an oil works good in one bike, it doesn't mean it will work good in yours. I'd stick to a motorcycle oil. Shell did rate a Rotella as Jaso MA at one time. I'd stick to the proper oil and not expermemnt if my clutch will slip at the worst possible time and get me killed.

I was on a motorcycle website where someone had replaced a clutch on a client's bike that was having transmission shifting issues. It had run on auto oil for the last oci, turned out the material on the clutch plates had swollen significantly to the point the clutch could not fully disengage. Sounds like slippage is not the only possible problem with running pcmo in a wet clutch bike.

Ive been using auto oil in bikes for years. The basic rule is if it has the "Energy Conserving" circle on the label don't use it. 5w-anything i think is in this category.

M1 15w50 and T5/T6 15xXX will never be a problem in a bike and the zinc and bit of moly are good for the top end and timing chains. I put these in my supercharged Kawi making well over 200hp and no clutch issues same as every other bike I have owned. If you look at the motorcycle specific M14T oil it is almost identical to the M1 15w50 other than the pretty motorcycle picture on the bottle (marketing)

OP, the air/oil cooling of that bike will work great with the 15w-xx in any synthetic flavor you like.

Last edited:
I've owned a few Suzuki four cylinders (GS's). They all ran well on HDEO (Delo. Delvac, etc.) 15W-40. Never had any clutch issues. I suspect that your bike will be fine.

But the Katana is pretty hot machine, so maybe they have changed/upgraded the clutch material ... The only way to know is to try, or ask on one of the Suzuki boards ...

I'd have no trouble running that oil in almost anything, but not a shared sump/wet clutch/wet brakes scenario. Just because it is not on the Allison lists and is not rated JASO anything. In a 250 commuter, no problem, but a hot bike - think I'd pass ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back