Alignment or ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently installed new struts in my Mazdaspeed3 (no other changes), and since then I've noticed a few differences in handling. The steering seems "heavier" - requires a little more effort - and it seems to tramline more, sometimes pulling left, sometimes right. I'm guessing the front upper strut mounts were not done correctly (throwing chamber and/or caster out) and an alignment will fix this, but could it also be something related to the steering instead?

I'd say get an alignment and see what happens. It may turn out to be the top mounts binding, though that wouldn't explain the tramlining and pulling; however, misalignment does.

I doubt it's steering-related.

More caster can increase steering effort since it causes the wheels to be "pulled" straight. As for tramlining, are you sure it's not bump-induced torque steer? Caster should lessen tramlining but it can make torque steer worse. Does it happen when you hit the bump while in neutral or with the clutch in?

If I were you, I'd have the alignment checked but I wouldn't worry about anything more serious at this point.

I recently changed struts on the minivan and definitely needed an alignment. No surprise that you would need one.

The new struts have more damping and thats good you feel it in the steering. I think it has forced other problems to surface. LBJ's tie rod ends & wheel bearings need attention. these will cause tram railing. Sometimes the problem is the rear. You don't offer much info on the Mazda, miles? front struts?

I bet your camber is off. My aftermarket struts had an oblongated lower hole where it met the knuckle where the factory strut had none. Since you aren't complaining of pulling the 'offness' is equal on both sides.

I had lots of negative camber that made it exciting like a sports car... but "darty".

You could also have a change in toe. In short, yes you need an alignment.

Yep, father is a mechanic and has always said, if you change your struts, balance, etc. anything "below" the vehicle, you'll likely need an allignment; particularly if you change struts/springs or even tires.

It all will have to be "re-aligned" to the new hardware.

Originally Posted By: ahoier
Yep, father is a mechanic and has always said, if you change your struts, balance, etc. anything "below" the vehicle, you'll likely need an allignment; particularly if you change struts/springs or even tires.

It all will have to be "re-aligned" to the new hardware.

+1 to that.

Q.

Both the upper and lower mounting of the new struts may be slightly different.
If there are camber adjustment slots on the strut lower mounts, who knows where they are at?

Changing camber changes toe in, BTW.

Drive the car for several hundred miles to let things seat in, and get a good 4 wheel alignment. Make sure no other suspension parts are loose, first.

Thanks to all for the input, esp. Mechtech2. Upon closer examination of all suspension components I found one strut slightly higher in the steering knuckle, corrected that,and the problem is 90% gone. I may still get an alignment, but will wait a while and see if there is further settling in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back