Alignment after steering rack replacement?

We put a new steering rack and new power steering lines in my sons 2010 Tacoma today. Real pita job, but we got it done in 6 hours.

We set the tie rods as close to the original positions as possible. The truck goes straight down the road.
Would it be important to get an alignment asap or would it be ok to wait a while?

TIA

We put a new steering rack and new power steering lines in my sons 2010 Tacoma today. Real pita job, but we got it done in 6 hours.

We set the tie rods as close to the original positions as possible. The truck goes straight down the road.
Would it be important to get an alignment asap or would it be ok to wait a while?

TIA
I would get the alignment. Dealing with fractions of an inch, it's not likely you nailed it.

Several racks and/tie rod sets in my recent past. I go to a local shop, small, old, and the very best work.

I always ask how close I got “Not bad” they say, “you were off by 1/4 inch” or thereabouts.

Which would wear out the front tires in short order.

No matter how carefully you did it, it needs an alignment.

If you take it in to get aligned, there is a 50/50 chance it will drive even worse. Having replaced a few racks too, I just do a tape measure alignment and it's as spot on as any shop will get it.

We set the tie rods as close to the original positions as possible.
How?

For us to critique your method, you've gotta share your method.

Counting threads? Measuring tape on tire tread fore-and-aft? Jackstands and string? Laser level?

Everybody intends to get things as good as they can be.

Toe is the most important thing to get right out of all the angles you can monkey with.

You need a better shop.

In the time it takes to drive to a shop, wait for it to get in and then have it done, I can do it myself and have lunch before they would even have pulled it in the bay. Not paying $80 for the 10 minutes to adjust tie rods. If you can't DIY, ok, take it in, but if OP jut replaced the rack he certainly has the skills to properly set the toe.

If you can install a rack, you can most certainly perform a DIY alignment. This thread has some links to helpful, inexpensive tools and some very common sense advice. https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/diy-camber-after-replacing-struts.366297/ I have NEVER done a front end alignment, but I just installed new struts, now my tires squeal going around the slightest corners. Last night I ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/Hanperal-Uni...f4-a409-c495ea773134&pd_rd_i=B01EPL6BB6&psc=1 And I'm considering this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PKI0WX...colid=JP6PZJ4QV30C&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it Couple of alignments and it has paid for itself. If you're concerned with Toe: https://www.amazon.com/Tenhulzen-Pl...6d-99ce-0c29a1e4c6d7&pd_rd_i=B00PKI0XTA&psc=1

If it's my own vehicle and it's a local runner I might do a DIY.

Otherwise a $99 toe 'n go is cheap insurance given the cost of tires.

I've done some front wheel drives where it drove beautifully and the steering wheel was centered, but I still told them GO GET AN ALIGNMENT (they were also warned prior to work beginning I can't do alignment but to get them to the alignment-gittin' place)

I did a rack on an '02 Taco....tried the "count the turns" thing....took it out for a test drive....DARTING all over the place. I was able to adjust by eye so it drove well to get to an alignment rack.

Being heavily toed-in will create stability going down the road, and also the constant inward strain can take slack out of other worn parts. But the tires will wear rapidly.
Toed-out causes instability, tires squealing in minor turns, and "push" -- in a curve, the front wheels skid and the front end stays too straight ahead instead of turning. Also of course there will be abnormal tire wear.

Reactions: D60

TIA
Simple answer is YES

Thanks for everyone’s advice.

We just counted the turns of the outer tie rods when removing, and replaced with new outer tie rods the same count.

I think we got it pretty close, but I’ll make sure my son gets an alignment done..

Thanks again !

Several racks and/tie rod sets in my recent past. I go to a local shop, small, old, and the very best work.

I always ask how close I got “Not bad” they say, “you were off by 1/4 inch” or thereabouts.

Which would wear out the front tires in short order.

No matter how carefully you did it, it needs an alignment.
This. Toe is one adjustment that will wear tires very quickly.

Another vote for alignment.

Back