Alien probe, discovered by Canadian Astronomer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They came early - they are thinnies and expected my Volvo to have expired on 15W-60 by now. I'm giving it another 1,000 years before the next pickup trip.

Scientist: "I think this might be aliens."

All other scientists in the field: "Slow your roll there, buddy. We're not even half done studying -- "

Public: ALIENS

"It's very weird. It's nothing that we have seen before," Loeb said.

LOL. I'm guessing there's quite a bit more odd stuff out there since we've basically seen 0% of the smaller objects floating around the Universe.

Last edited:
There is no such thing extra terrestrial aliens. No evidence, only probability at this point. Absolutely zero bonafide evidence of any life whatsoever, much less intelligent life forms, beyond planet Earth. This object is nothing more than something naturally formed beyond our solar system whereas we have a very flimsy grasp on what additional possibilities are (beyond known natural laws) that form and shape matter beyond our solar system. Basic laws same everywhere as here? Explain dark matter for instance.

Nope. Not of an extra terrestrial intelligent origin. Just an unusual and fascinating object from outside our star system.

I submit that there is more evidence of the paranormal-- ghosts, if you will-- than of extra terrestrial intelligent life forms.

It is more fun to think that aliens looking for planet in the habitable zone. One with active magnetic field to protect life against radiation, And the technology to travel here are checking us out. Oh, wait....Must stop panic.

Rod

I was listening to one of the talk shows on XM satellite radio. I assume one of the less popular stations on XM. The guys where all hyped up over our actions to shoot signals into space and what if they actually did attract alien life forms and these aliens weren't friendly. One of them should we should be laying low and doing more to hide ourselves, not advertise ourselves. The other guy on the radio thought that was a bit extreme but argued that we haven't thought this all the way through and we need a global debate on the subject; not some scientists doing whatever they wanted to attract aliens without having fully evaluated the repercussions.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

I imagine there probably could be on other planets but we have a tendency to jump to conclusions whenever something is unknown. Too much leaping straight to "it was aliens" or "God did it" whenever we can't explain something. I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation for what it is and it's probably nothing spectacular.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
It is more fun to think that aliens looking for planet in the habitable zone. One with active magnetic field to protect life against radiation, And the technology to travel here are checking us out. Oh, wait....Must stop panic.

Rod

Well you just use a telescope like Keppler to scan the surrounding stars. That's actually an awful probe if it were aliens, the speed is way too slow to be useful, at least on the human time scale. Highest speed was 87 km/s relative to the sun, where speed of light is about 300,000 km/sec. So not even close to 1 tenth of a percent of light. The Voyager probe 1 we've sent out has a speed of about 17.26 km/s. It will eventually slow to about 26.33 km/second and take about 20,000 years to leave the solar system. Basically that speed is fast enough to leave the orbit of the sun, if it were a little bit slower, then it could have been captured by the sun and just be another asteroid or comet.

Also it's not just the magnetic field, it's also the type of sun, our type G main sequence sun isn't that common in the galaxy. About 85% of the stars in the galaxy are red dwarfs, and the problem with them is that they tend to have such extreme flares all the time that no life could survive.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
There is no such thing extra terrestrial aliens. No evidence, only probability at this point. Absolutely zero bonafide evidence of any life whatsoever, much less intelligent life forms, beyond planet Earth. This object is nothing more than something naturally formed beyond our solar system whereas we have a very flimsy grasp on what additional possibilities are (beyond known natural laws) that form and shape matter beyond our solar system. Basic laws same everywhere as here? Explain dark matter for instance.

Nope. Not of an extra terrestrial intelligent origin. Just an unusual and fascinating object from outside our star system.

I submit that there is more evidence of the paranormal-- ghosts, if you will-- than of extra terrestrial intelligent life forms.

Dark matter is the same as aliens, there is absolutely no tangible proof it exists. It was simply dreamed up to make the current mathematical model work. It's original proposal goes to 1800s, if I recall. It was abandoned and then re-instated.
Dark matter goes even further though and that's the beauty of it, it can never be measured, touched, observed, so it will always be a mythical object. So we substituted mythical creatures/beings with a mythical object/energy and called it science.

Originally Posted by KrisZ

Dark matter is the same as aliens, there is absolutely no tangible proof it exists. It was simply dreamed up to make the current mathematical model work. It's original proposal goes to 1800s, if I recall. It was abandoned and then re-instated.
Dark matter goes even further though and that's the beauty of it, it can never be measured, touched, observed, so it will always be a mythical object. So we substituted mythical creatures/beings with a mythical object/energy and called it science.

They're still searching for it. There's lots of observations that support the existence of dark matter and dark energy. You can eliminate those items if you come up with a better theory of relativity that accounts for current observations.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/starts...e-knew-about-dark-matter-and-dark-energy

https://www.forbes.com/sites/starts...we-havent-directly-detected-dark-matter/

Looks like the result of eating MREs for months on end.

You mean these guys?

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your...nt-encounter-between-navy-pilot-and-ufo/

In any case some scientists have suggested that in terms of the age of the universe the avg lifespan of a civilization is akin to the amount of time it takes a firefly to flash its light. You could have thousands of fireflies all flashing but it's almost impossible due to the distances involved to have both flash at the same time where each side would encounter the other. There's just as high a probability that an advanced extra-terrestrial already passed by earth as it is that one is on its way to visit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
In any case some scientists have suggested that in terms of the age of the universe the avg lifespan of a civilization is akin to the amount of time it takes a firefly to flash its light. You could have thousands of fireflies all flashing but it's almost impossible due to the distances involved to have both flash at the same time where each side would encounter the other. There's just as high a probability that an advanced extra-terrestrial already passed by earth as it is that one is on its way to visit.

Yeah Breakthrough starshot just proposes sending probes at 15 to 20% of the speed of light to other star systems, but it has no way of slowing down and most other propulsion methods don't get you anywhere near a decent percentage of the speed of light. I think you would also need star systems formed from the remnants of neutron star collisions in order to have heavier metals because regular stars only create materials up to iron before they explode.

It's sorta like the lottery where the odds are extreme. Very unlikely that a single ticket will win, but if enough tickets are sold, very likely that there will be one or more winners. We just don't have enough info to plug into the Drake equation to say how likely it really is.

As for the "probe", it's more likely either due to uneven heating by the sun or the solar radiation pressure. But the alien probe point is always fun.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2018/11/08/aliens-is-not-a-scientific-explanation-for-interstellar-asteroid-%CA%BBoumuamua/

More alien nonsense. That's not a probe of any kind, and nothing crashed near Roswell,NM in the summer of 1947 but a weather balloon array carrying radar targets for tracking at high altitudes.

Just becuase you or I have not seen "proof" doesn't mean there isn't proof. Thousands of highly credible people have observed things that appear to be not of this world. While 95% are usually explainable, the remaining 5% is highly intriguing. Millions of people believe in a g o d, yet have never seen it. I'd argue there is more evidence for some sort of ET intervention/monitoring of our planet then there is ghosts or any divine being.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interdimensional_hypothesis

"The interdimensional hypothesis (IDH or IH), is an idea advanced by Ufologists such as Jacques Vallée that says unidentified flying objects (UFOs) and related events involve visitations from other "realities" or "dimensions" that coexist separately alongside our own. It is an alternative to the extraterrestrial hypothesis (ETH).[1][2][3][4] IDH also holds that UFOs are a modern manifestation of a phenomenon that has occurred throughout recorded human history, which in prior ages were ascribed to mythological or supernatural creatures.[2]

Although ETH has remained the predominant explanation for UFOs by UFOlogists,[5] some ufologists have abandoned it in favor of IDH. Paranormal researcher Brad Steiger wrote that "we are dealing with a multidimensional paraphysical phenomenon that is largely indigenous to planet Earth".[6] Other UFOlogists, such as John Ankerberg and John Weldon, advocate IDH because it fits the explanation of UFOs as a spiritistic phenomenon. Commenting on the disparity between the ETH and the accounts that people have made of UFO encounters, Ankerberg and Weldon wrote "the UFO phenomenon simply does not behave like extraterrestrial visitors."

GREAT SHORT VIDEO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back