Alfa Romeo 75 - Racing Car - Coolant advice request

Hi all,

Currently I’m looking for engine coolant for a racing car. I could do with some advice. Let me start off by providing you with some information:

Car
The car is an Alfa Romeo 75 2.0 Twin Spark (1991). It has been used as a track-day car for at least the last 8 years. Before that it was a road car. The total mileage on the car is 188.000 km (117.000 mi). It has been slightly modified externally (open air intake, stainless racing exhaust, modified ECU). I do not know if there have been any modifications made internally. The engine, to my knowledge, is made from aluminium.

Owner manual
The owner manual states the following:
Ready to use antifreeze, std. no.: 3681-69958

Environment / usage
I’m from the Netherlands so the car will be used in varying conditions (wet/dry) from about 10 C (50F) to 35 C (95F).

As it is a track-car it will be driven hard. Also, the car will stand still for multiple months at some point, before it is driven again.

Advice request
I know nothing about coolant. I have read up on some things and have read that some coolant is designed for modern engines and don't necessarily mix well with older engines. Also, my understanding is that some coolant additives can corrode aluminum components. Now some websites make recommendations for my car specifically that include certification: GLX PP, XL, GLX, GLS 13, G11. Non of these certifications mean anything to me, but they are all completely different and I'm not sure the are actually all compatible with my car and how they differ.

So, firstly, I need a coolant that is compatible with my older engine (if this is actually a thing) and that is compatible with an aluminum block.

Secondly, the anti-freeze characteristics are less important for this car, but the cooling capabilities should be well above average, to deal with the high-stress this engine will endure. Will this influence the coolant selection?

Thank you in advance for reading my post. Looking forward to expanding my knowledge.

I suggest Zerex / Valvoline G-05...

Long life Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT),
but without the plastic munching 2-EHA found in Dexcool...

Those do not look easy to source in Europe.

Could you rate Eurol Coolant XL -36? Link to their website

It's one of the recommended coolants from a lubrication website over here and the first choice for my car according the the Eurol website.

Any particular additives I need to look out for on my car?

It's a G12+ or G30 fluid, roland. That's what I use in my own car aswell. G12+ is a volkswagen productr name, G30 is used by BASF.

The eurol product isn't coloured so it can be used together with other fluids, but usually the G12+ is pink coloured

What are the rules as far as a vehicle with coolant on a racetrack there? Here in the US is is really frowned upon to use anything other than water and a Water Wetter type additive on a racetrack. Coolant can take a long time to clean up if an engine were to throw up.

nordshleife assumes road cars during touristenfahrten. You need to pay for the cleanup. Some time attack rules I have seen require you to have sufficient overflow capability.

What are the rules as far as a vehicle with coolant on a racetrack there? Here in the US is is really frowned upon to use anything other than water and a Water Wetter type additive on a racetrack. Coolant can take a long time to clean up if an engine were to throw up.
On trackdays there is no issue, they allow roadcars so they all run normal coolant.

In the racing series my friend is participating in (and I will in future) there have never been any remarks about it, and my buddy is runing coolant (car gets scrutinized before every race). So I'm guessing it's fine. Never heard anybody talk about it either. But I will check the regulations, just to be sure.

Good point.

Back