AISIN ATW+ synthetic WS compatible ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone analyzed the WS compatible synthetic transmission fluid from AISIN. Its called ATW+ compatible with WS ATF and many more. The Russian oil forums have some good info and discussions regarding this oil. It seems the kinematic viscosity seems to be a tad higher. I am replacing the fluid on my FJ Cruiser as I was not happy with the last drain and fill at 20000. http://www.exedy.com.au/assets/file/AISIN_Fully_Synthetic_AFW_Multi_Product_Datasheet.pdf

VOA of Aisin and WS ATF

aisin afw+ anaylysis.jpg

WS ATF analysis.jpg

Why weren't you happy with the fluid?

Don't go by color with the WS fluid - if that's why you weren't happy - because the red dye in the WS fluid quickly deteriorates with heat and even sunlight, causing it to turn brown. Color means nothi with this fluid. I changed mine at 70,000 and it was BLACK...thought I was going to need a new transmission, but it was fine.

As for alternatives, I believe Amsoil and Valvoline provide alternatives.

WS fluid is considered a "lifetime" fluid in the United States, but that is total BS. It's simply a marketing scheme over here, the fluid isn't even Synthetic.

I noticed deteriorating shift quality the moment the transmission touched over 95C and installing the oil cooler made a big difference and I have been checking UOAs of WS ATF all over in the A750F transmission. This was a good reason to replace it with a synthetic that too made by AISIN and also cheaper than WS ATF.

Originally Posted by AurionX2
The comparison is done with the Toyota type IV, not WS. This Aisin AFW+ isn't a low viscosity fluid and the pdf from the first post doesn't even mention compatibility with Toyota WS.

It does say on the 2nd sheet that it is WS, since toyota trannies are made by Aisin, it wouldn't make sense for them to make a product that wouldn't be compatible with their own transmissions.

Last edited:
Right, missed that. Interesting how they can claim compatibility with such a wide array of specs. However it's not a low viscosity ATF and I personally wouldn't put it in our U660E transmissions.

The only concern would be kinematic viscosity where the Toyota WS is around 5.36 at 100c while the Aisin is close to the IV Dexron spec of 7.3 but as per the Russian forum its more to meet the CAFE fuel economy standards than anything else. The early A750 that came with Land Cruisers and Tundras would also specify Type IV type ATF and only later revised to WS ATF. If you live in a tropical place and you do lots of stop and go as well as off road excursions, I would take that higher number just for lesser shearing under stress. Unlike WS the Aisin product is synthetic and interestingly Aisin recommends a 20,000km change interval for their oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back