Airfilter shootout

Status
Not open for further replies.
My tube is a black painted steel tube that is an excellent conductor of heat, so wrapping it makes a noticeable difference. If you have a plastic tube, you'll not notice as much difference.

As for the airbox, it is more than just wrapping it, it is creating an air dam that only lets the airbox draw from cooler outside air. In my case, it is open at the top, because it the hood closes the top of the box. It is also open to the fender and front, as that is where the cool air comes in.

The difference is mainly noticeable in heavy stop and go, summer driving. My engine develops a bit of lag below 2500 rpm after the engine compartment gets heat-soaked. Before the installation of the reflective material, the airbox and tube would get too hot too touch, now, they stay near ambient temp.

You can actually feel a difference from just wrapping the tube & air box in an insulated, reflective cover? If so, when I install my aftermarker intake & filter, I have some sheets of stuff in the carport closet, looks reflective on one side, looks like lawn tractor air filter foam sleeve material on the other. Something was packed in it. I *Knew* it had to be good for something!
grin.gif

Now you got me going, I see a Saturday head scratching project. Interesting numbers from the website on temps. Again on my Expy (5.4L) space is a precious commodity so I'll keep everyone updated with the result. You'd think all OEM's would do that to bolster numbers for sales.

The numbers OEMs generate, would not be influenced by these cold air setups as they are not done on the car, and are done under specific standardised conditions. That is why hot air and high humidity or altidude slow you down, and cold air and low humidity speed you up.

Here is an interesting little calculator.

http://rshelq.home.sprynet.com/calc_hp_dp.htm

-

2000 Ford Crown Vic 4.6L SOHC V8

inside the airbox is an Accel Kool Blue (blue K&N)

my IAT (Intake air temperature) is +/- 1F from ambient on the highway (I actually logged IAT versus vehicle speed and found that as long as you keep moving the IAT will be +/- 1F from ambient, that's how good this setup runs)

First Off Cool Site !!
Point of interest: Insulating Induction Set-Up`s
How would this benefit my 01 LS-1 Camaro ?
If its a worthy mod,then would I wrap everything from the lid to the intake (throttle body/MAF)
confused.gif

I understand the concept,just looking for some in put towards my application.

TIA

SS/LS

I'm curious too as to which thermal insulating tape will work well but be flexible enough to mold to odd shaped surfaces....not to mention where to find it?

quote:

Originally posted by RTexasF:
I'm curious too as to which thermal insulating tape will work well but be flexible enough to mold to odd shaped surfaces....not to mention where to find it?

Go to www.summitracing.com or www.jegs.com and look for "thermotec" Thats the stuff that has adhesive on one side and aluminized radiant heat deflector on the other. Fairly cheap as compared to DEI Cool-tape. Deflects radiant heat up to 2000F

Dipstick,

pat.gif
Thank you. It didn't even occur to me that thermal tape for exhaust headers would be ideal to insulate the intake.

Metroplex,
Do you have the airbox isolated from the engine compartment as dipstick does or simply the wrap on the intake hose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back