Airbus pilot joystick

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at pics of Boeing cockpits vs. Airbus and have a question...I have to imagine most people are right-hand dominant...I'm trying to make sense of why the pilot's joystick is set up for his left hand...I suppose he needs his right hand for throttles/radios, etc, but I wonder if that has a negative impact on the way some pilots fly. At least with a traditional yoke in front of you, either hand can grab the thing.

And before this turns into an Airbus v. Boeing discussion, I'm simply questioning the ergonomics of the set up.

It might be different for jets, but to be an instructor in cessnas you need to be able to fly from both seats, with both hands. I would assuming to become an airline captain these are basic skills, so either way will work for them, but Im sure they have a personal preference.

Last edited by a moderator:
While you can manipulate a yoke with either hand, you can’t fly with both hands on the yoke for more than a second.

You have to have a hand on the throttles at the same time. You can’t hand fly the airplane, much less land it, without making constant, small, power adjustments. So, in the left seat, regardless of stick or yoke, you’ve got your left hand on the flight controls, right hand on the throttles (thrust levers in an Airbus, but whatever...).

The yoke is a giant anachronism. Left over from when the flight controls were cables and it took two hands to control the airplane, while the flight engineer set the power on the engines.

I’m fine with a stick.

Or a yoke.

Originally Posted By: Kira
How is a "stick" able to be set up for either? Are there buttons on it?

The stick on an Airbus is set up for the side of the cockpit. It’s shaped to the hand (right or left), and has the mic switch and autopilot disconnect switch under your index finger and thumb, respectively, for that hand. The two sticks are mirror images.

The stick’s physical location in the cockpit makes it nearly impossible to fly with the opposite hand...sort of like shifting your console automatic with your left hand, you can, but it’s not easy...

Last edited:
Astro 14, thank you for the imput as usual it is appreciated and enjoyed.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
The stick on an Airbus is set up for the side of the cockpit. It’s shaped to the hand (right or left), and has the mic switch and autopilot disconnect switch under your index finger and thumb, respectively, for that hand. The two sticks are mirror images.

Any foot pedals to deal with like they have on helicopters? Any controls made with the feet? My guess would be there isn't but not 100% sure.

My mate has flown an Airbus. Though mainly a Saab 2000 and previously a Dash 8.

He is right handed and said once you get used to it there is no issue.

A Pilot in the right seat is used to using their left hand on the yolk when flying.

Though I have only flown a Cessna (can remember model name it was 20years ago and I didn’ like it) and a PA28 Warrier which was older than me.

I should really start my lessons again!

Last edited:
Much simpler, but kinda related - Fountain speedboats have left-handed throttles and shifters. Odd at first, but you get used to them rather quickly.

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
...I have to imagine most people are right-hand dominant... At least with a traditional yoke in front of you, either hand can grab the thing.

In a light airplane, from the left ( pilot ) seat, you have to "fly" with the left arm/wrist, not the hand. The yoke goes in/out (pitch), and rotates about its shaft (bank). Hand/finger movements are not involved much, if at all. Maybe a Push To Talk, or an electric trim in a fancy plane.

The right hand does everything else, including writing on the scratch pad that is probably on your right leg, so flying with the left arm/wrist is the better set up for right handed people.

Even with a joystick, I would think these are wrist movements, not hand, so right hand/left hand, probably not a big deal after a minute or two.

Airbus aircraft aren't the only ones that use side sticks. Some light aircraft do as well so pilot adaptation is probably not a big deal.
As others have pointed out, even with a yoke or true joystick, most of the time the guy in the left seat is using his left hand anyway.
Remember too that in an Airbus, or any other modern transport, the crew isn't controlling any surface directly, rather its a matter of the stick being an interface through which the aircraft is controlled.
Airbus pilots reportedly like the lack of clutter that losing the yoke brings.
Someone asked about foot pedals.
Yes, an Airbus transport does have rudder pedals like almost any other fixed wing aircraft.
I can only think of one exception and it's a light two place aircraft. I see one flying from time to time from one of the local GA airports.
Bonus points to anyone who can name this aircraft.

I fly the Cessna with my left on the yoke, and my right on the throttle, trim, radios, etc.

I fly the Citabria with my right hand on the stick, and my left on throttle, et al...

You get used to either pretty quick.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

I can only think of one exception and it's a light two place aircraft. I see one flying from time to time from one of the local GA airports.

Forney/ERCO/Alon Ercoupe (Aircoupe) (related: Mooney Mite)

I think some of the later / last ones did have rudder pedals, or at least limited rudder control.

Sam Walton's is in the Air Museum not far from here. He had a mid '50's Ercoupe.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I fly the Cessna with my left on the yoke, and my right on the throttle, trim, radios, etc.

I fly the Citabria with my right hand on the stick, and my left on throttle, et al...

You get used to either pretty quick.

You own two Planes?

Nice.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Forney/ERCO/Alon Ercoupe (Aircoupe) (related: Mooney Mite)

Mooney did build the Ercoupe for a brief period, but the Mite was a totally unrelated single place aircraft IIRC.

Was the Mite the very first Mooney?

The M-10 was the Mooney Aircoupe with the signature straight tail.

I think the difference between the Ercoupe and the Aircoupe may be that the latter had some degree of pilot rudder control.

I think that the M-18 Mite was the first actual production Mooney.
There was an M-5 design prewar that was built and test flown, but this incarnation of the Mooney company was out of business by 1930 and I'm not sure that any of these aircraft were actually built for delivery to buyers.
After many changes in ownership and reorganizations, Mooney is still in Kerrville TX building developments of the four place M20, which dates back to 1955 and originally had wood wings. In terms of speed for fuel burn, the M20 has always been a very efficient single.
Mooney has built some interesting designs over the years, including the pressurized M22 as well as the Mitsubishi MU-2, which was fabed up in Japan and then shipped in pieces to be assembled by Mooney here.
Both of these projects proved to be money losing enterprises.

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
I was looking at pics of Boeing cockpits vs. Airbus and have a question...I have to imagine most people are right-hand dominant...I'm trying to make sense of why the pilot's joystick is set up for his left hand...I suppose he needs his right hand for throttles/radios, etc, but I wonder if that has a negative impact on the way some pilots fly. At least with a traditional yoke in front of you, either hand can grab the thing.

And before this turns into an Airbus v. Boeing discussion, I'm simply questioning the ergonomics of the set up.

As a matter of fact, you ask an excellent question. My answer applies to both Airbus and Boeing jets.

I flew both the A-330 and A-320 from the left seat. I am right hand dominant. I could competently fly the airplane with the sidestick "left handed". I would have MUCH preferred to fly it right-handed since my fine motor skills were appreciably better. This comfortability also extends to the Boeing yoke based system. I flew the 747-400 from both seats and preferred the right seat because of the right hand dominance. I liked the salary from the left seat better so I suffered through it.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back