Air Tool Lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Each time I use my air tools, I squirt some CP Air Tool Oil in the air chuck fitting(the proper location). Is there too much oil that I "COULD" be squirting in?

Should I also store the air tools with "EXTRA" oil?

What are your methods for use and storage?

I don't use my air too often!

The compressed air quality at work is not so great - lots of water collects in infrequently used pipes. So I oil the tools before I use them (after blowing out any pooled free water with a blow gun) and dribble in some extra right before I put them away.

All of them are still going strong.

No such thing as 'too much' oil in an air tool, it will just blow out the exhaust ports. It's more important to use a quality oil made for the job - I use Mobil Almo 525 for all our air tools, oilers & pneumatic equipment.

I dribble 3 drops of oil in, I usually use the MMO air tool oil.
I had a bottle of craftsman air tool oil, but it was 20yrs old. I figure I'd upgrade..

Originally Posted By: JethroBodine
You can also use ATF or 5w20 oil in a pinch. Most air tool oils are not far off spec from ATF.

I have used ATF in the past but, I was never certain if this was the correct lube to use. I do know lots of Tech's the use ATF and MMO also.

Thanks for the replys!
CB

I, personally, wouldn't use ATF in my air tools.

I use SumOil's air tool lubricant with antifreeze. This is mostly due to my tools being left in very cold environments for a couple hours or more at a time. They also make a foodgrade and a standard air tool lube that is AWESOME stuff.

http://www.sumoilcorp.com/en/home

I've got 35 air spikers,22 staplers and a dozen brad and finish nailers. In my experience you cannot put too much oil in the nipple other than in the trim guns where staining is an issue.
Just oil them before using. No need for extra.

I never had a problem adding extra oil to my tools. I just make sure to have a rag nearby to collect the oil that blows out of the tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back