Air ratchet for home use

Well my Menards clearance Campbell hausfeld air ratchet stripped on its first job. Tried overhauling the pawl mechanism and despite no visible damage still has a dead spot where it slips.

I don’t use air ratchet every often but sometimes they are just the right tool. Can anybody recommend a good model for a home user that won’t break the bank but won’t fail unexpectedly on the first job either? Otherwise I’ll probably grab a $25 power mate or HF special…

I’ve had the Earthquake from HF for 7 years. Still going strong. No complaints.

It has its place and is nothing compared to my Aircat 1150, but it’s been great for my DIY needs.

I bought a used IR 1/2" air impact at Ebay for about $35.
That was a while back, though.
For some reason, nobody bid on it.

I have a FAR 72 that I used at work for 20 years. I still use it as needed

I’ve seriously considered the Milwaukee but for the price and infrequency of use. How many years do people get out of their battery packs before they don’t hold a good charge?

I’ve seriously considered the Milwaukee but for the price and infrequency of use. How many years do people get out of their battery packs before they don’t hold a good charge?
I have some that are over 4 years old. No issues.

You will love cordless tools. By the time you fire up the compressor, mess with the hose, you could be well on your way.
And underhood work without an air hose makes things far easier.

Well worth the investment, IMO.

Last edited:
Back