Air filter for a lawn mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased my first commercial mower, a Honda, for my yard. The big difference, besides the price and weight, was the air filter. It has the usual paper element, but also has an oiled foam prefilter. I cut a half acre and there is a lot of dust. I now clean that prefilter every time I cut the grass and it's completely filled. I think that just having a paper filter is what killed my last mower in less than two years. It became hard to start, even after a replace everyting tune-up. It was burning oil and loosing power each month. There are bare spots in parts of the yard that you pass over cutting the grass and I think the cheap air filter just was not up to the job.

The foam prefilter on the kohler command 20 in my cub cadet GT gets filthy with each use as well. I vac it clean with the shop vac every cpl of uses. The automotive style airfilter still looks like new underneath. As long as you've got a good seal on the filter housing, keep the prefilter clean and inspect the main filter, you are good to go.

Joel

With summer here, it looks like I'll be cleaning the foam pre-filter every time I use the mower. It only takes a few minutes and considering what it's been picking up, I'd rather not have that stuff in the engine.

I thought I would revive this thread since I have a question on this topic.

I just bought a cheapy Weed Eater brand pushmower from Wallyword with a B&S 4.5HP motor. The owner's manual states to soak the airfilter inoil after cleaning with detergent and water.

What kind of oil should I use? I plan on running Valvoline Full Synth 5w40 that I have lying around should I use this as the oil in the filter or something like K&N filter recharge oil?

Uncle, motorcycle shops sell a oil made for foam type air filters and it works well. However I use a good brand of chainsaw bar and chain oil because I have it around and it is very tacky and stays put better than plain oil. After cleaning the filter and allowed to dry, drop the filter into a gallon size ziplock bag and squirt in an ounce of oil and zip it closed then work it with your hand till it is well distributed.

quote:

Originally posted by UncleRunkle:
I thought I would revive this thread since I have a question on this topic.

I just bought a cheapy Weed Eater brand pushmower from Wallyword with a B&S 4.5HP motor. The owner's manual states to soak the airfilter inoil after cleaning with detergent and water.

What kind of oil should I use? I plan on running Valvoline Full Synth 5w40 that I have lying around should I use this as the oil in the filter or something like K&N filter recharge oil?

Pretty much any oil from hd-30, to 10w-40 havoline and mobil 1... I've used all kinds of engine oil I had laying around, does the same thing in all cases, collects dirt better...., it'll only be a light coating with all oils due to squeezing it out.

http://tinyurl.com/s9lp4

Sorry, couldn't resist
wink.gif

I lived near Vista for years. You guys with the grass seed/water comments need to see for yourself to understand. I lived further inland which is even worse. Very arid and the soil is mostly comprised of decomposed granite. It's not really grass but sage and mustard grass. You can water 24/7 and all you'll do is go broke and water in SoCal is a commodity. I did not have a foam pre-cleaner, I just beat the dust out before each use. All you can do is clean the foam filter frequently and squeeze out as much oil as possible- almost completely dry and change your oil/filter monthly or more.
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back