Air filter fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's just wrong!

They need to start stapling the owners manual maintenance section to peoples foreheads!
grin2.gif

Quote:

Wow. They're willing to spend $100+ on an AC recharge, but not $10 on a new air filter? Let me guess, they thought it was just another way to pull more money out of them...as if the shop will really benefit from $10.

Of course, the assumption is that they know the air filter is for the engine and not the occupants. A quick explanation of the purpose/ramifications might have been beneficial.

Quote:

People are homeless for a reason.

And often it has nothing to do with their choices...

Last edited:
Compassion, is free.

God bless the shelter.

Pray for those running the shelter get an understanding basic vehicle maintenance is an investment to reduce costs.

Last edited:
AC is important, engine performanc isn't! I can understand the shelter being on a tight budget, but you better live in a hot climate for them to justify fixing the AC and not replacing that clearly dirty air filter.

Living in a large urban environment gives me a different view of homeless than some. While certainly not always the case, many of those "begging" here prefer it over "real" work, as they make better money.
I once got approached by a couple begging from there car. They were driving around the parking lot asking for money...all the while playing music and running their AC. The kicker is they had a nicer car than I do, by a good margin. I got a laugh out of that one.

Not too long ago I saw a guy begging outside of a Vons (grocery store). He entered the store a few minutes after me, and we both checked out at the same time. I bought typical groceries, he bought a 5th of Vodka...Smirnoff to be exact. He was right behind me in the checkout line, and had the nerve to ask me for some money. This guy was total homeless, torn dirty clothing, overgrown beard, etc.
I was wondering if he was drinking because he is homeless, or if he is homeless because of his drinking. Either way, I didn't give him anything.

Sometimes society does fail people, other times people fail themselves. Either way, we all struggle through life in some form, so I don't blame people for choosing to not help the homeless.
I am fortunate in that I personally experienced both sides of the equation, with part of my childhood being spent in less then ideal conditions. Now, as I approach the end of my college career, I get to choose how I will approach this social problem in adult hood.
That said, this economy better pickup before I too become homeless :p

Quote:
Sometimes society does fail people, other times people fail themselves. Either way, we all struggle through life in some form, so I don't blame people for choosing to not help the homeless.
I am fortunate in that I personally experienced both sides of the equation, with part of my childhood being spent in less then ideal conditions. Now, as I approach the end of my college career, I get to choose how I will approach this social problem in adult hood.
That said, this economy better pickup before I too become homeless :p

Ah ..the wisdom of one who did dwell in the depths. It allows you to ask not for whom the bell tolls ..for you know it tolls for thee (all of us).

Chris: I would have buffered the A/C service the $10 and given them the filter. More likely I'd just have thrown it in and eaten the costs ...but that would have been my personal choice and not an obligation.

I don't know. I'm all for being generous (My family wouldn't be where we are without a little generocity). However, if the shelter can lay out the cash for an AC recharge, but not an air filter, I'm not sure I'd offer to give them one. The discounted rate at your cost was a good bet.

Of course they may have thought they could buy one cheaper somewhere else and do it themselves.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Of course they may have thought they could buy one cheaper somewhere else and do it themselves.

People who work in homeless shelters, or other social agencies, are not the type of people who know how to do the basics on cars. I've run into enough of them to know that most are left-wing, enviro-social-na#i's who think 'cars, corporations and cops' are the downfall of society.

Trust me, that filter will NEVER get changed. As I said, van will quit, and they will beg for charity from a govt. to get a new one. End of story!!!

LOL.gif
I help run a seasonal homeless shelter
LOL.gif

It all depends on if it's a "program" or a private interest. If it's a program with funding ..then the van is a casualty of a bureaucracy. If it's a subcontracted outfit providing services to the homeless ,,sane sorta deal. They hire people who could care less. If it's a ministry or private non-profit ...then some of the member/trustees/operators may indeed have a few of the notions that you describe there.

I do it every winter with a pastor in the area. It's all hosted at local churches one month at a time. No money other than what's donated. The pastor uses his own van for transport ..or volunteers use their vehicles ..assuming transport is required.

All some people see in a car or truck is what the exterior looks like.They will buy oversized rims and tires and wash their car 4 times a week but when it comes to getting their hands dirty they would either rather pay someone to do it or neglect preventive maintanance.Some people really think oil,filters,hoses,belts and others are items that should last the same amount of time as an engine or transmission.

I drive a 96 regularly and my AC hasn't worked in a few years.

How far are they driving that they so desperately need AC but not basic maintainance? I wonder how many miles are on the oil or if the diff has ever been changed out.

Good God. I think I would have bought them a new filter out of my own pocket had I been there and seen that mess. That filter probably has its own ecosystem.

They could be more worried about a homeless person getting heat stroke and suing them. I agree with the OP that they might have thought the filter was for the AC, or they thought they could buy one cheaper.

Some people are homeless by choice or other problems, but I think most do not want to be homeless. Not wanting to work has nothing to do with being homeless. I don't mind working and have gotten letters stating that I do work above and beyond what I was suppose to do (all letters were from government employment like military etc), but I do not want to work (for someone else). I like to make things and would rather sell what I can make then work for someone else.

Originally Posted By: Loobed
I agree with the OP that they might have thought the filter was for the AC

There's an idea. Tell them the a/c will work better if they replace this dirty filter here. If the engine quits because a chunk of burst filter propped open a valve or something, the a/c will stop working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back