Air-Cooled VW: SAE 30 vs 10w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
The owner's manual of my 1970 VW recommends SAE 30 for temps above 32 degrees F. After attending the (most excellent) Motor Oil University on this site, it would make sense that 10w-30 would provide better flow at cold temps as well as 30 weight protection at operating temps (230 F. here in Mississippi).

This engine has 63k original miles and is driven around town for general rat-killing. After nearly 50 years, I would think that oil technology has improved to where the 10w-30 is as good or better for this application than SAE 30. Thoughts?

It's warm enough down there in Dixie that either one would be fine. The VIIs in (old school) 10W30 are the reason for VW recommending straight weight-but a modern HDEO 10W30 like Rotella T4, T5, Delo 400, Mobil Delvac, etc. would be a great choice for a (no catalytic converter) Bug.

Pick one with an HTHS well above 3, and you are good to go IMO.

A straight 30 has an HTHS in the range of 3.3 to 3.5.

M1 HM, Amsoil ACD, etc. are around that.

I used to run Quaker State SAE 30 in my Corvairs - similar heat issues but the Corvair had an oil filter. My uncle and local Chevy dealer service foreman warned me to NEVER run 10w30 in that engine. Friends with VW Beetles all ran SAE 30. That being said, a 15w40 HDEO might be the ticket for you.

You can use any modern 10w30 or even 5w30. My choice would be one of the syn blend 10w30 HDEO's like Rotella T5 or the Chevron Delo equivalent. But even Dollar Tree 10w30 would be fine.

Actually, some modern SAE 30 monograde oils can actually pass the criteria for 10w30 even though they are labeled as a straight 30
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SoxnSandals
The owner's manual of my 1970 VW recommends SAE 30 for temps above 32 degrees F. After attending the (most excellent) Motor Oil University on this site, it would make sense that 10w-30 would provide better flow at cold temps as well as 30 weight protection at operating temps (230 F. here in Mississippi).

This engine has 63k original miles and is driven around town for general rat-killing. After nearly 50 years, I would think that oil technology has improved to where the 10w-30 is as good or better for this application than SAE 30. Thoughts?
What do you mean by better flow when cold below 32*f? Lets see after 50 years of running straight 30 you need better flow because you read something on a web site? A syn 10w-30 or a hdeo 10w30 might be fine especially below 32*f

In all three air cooled VW's I have owned, I never ran anything less than 40. 10W-40 or mostly 15W-40. The hot spots will thin a 40 down to 30 territory quick enough ...

only REAL synthetics group IV + V 30W's will meet the 10-30 spec WITHOUT viscosity improvers!! i believe Amsoil advertised this when they "WERE"!!! all PAO group IV base oils

A monogrde SAE30 will have a HTHS of around 3.4 +/- 0.1 cP

An ILSAC GF-5 10W30 will have a HTHS of around 3.0 +/- 0.1 cP, so this is a step backwards in my view and I wouldn't do it with.an air-cooled engine.

However a HDEO (diesel engine suitable) 10W30 will have a HTHS of about 3.5 cP and will be fine. A mixed fleet HDEO is suitable for both gas (petrol) and diesel engines.

A Euro A3/B4 also has a HTHS of 3.5 cP (or above) and would be suitable.

Me ? I would stick with a SAE 30 as they are a strong shear stable oil, and if I went multigrade I would step it up to a HDEO 15W40.

15W-40 HDEO would be what i'd use, Rotella T4/T5 still have 1200ppm of Zinc or so which will be good too
smile.gif

I have a couple friends with Aircooled VW's, they both run 15W-40 HDEO, Shell Rimula R4X which i recommended to them.

My own 1965 VW Bug runs best with straight 30 wt. Old air cooled motors like old tech oil best. What ever works for a lawn mower, also works for a VW Bug.

Hmmm. Lots to chew on here. So it looks like the SAE 30 is fine and a preferred multi-grade would be 15W-40.

Silly newbie question: is HDEO high detergent engine oil or heavy duty engine oil? I Googled it and it said 'heavy duty' which I thought was wrong.

Hmmm. Lots to chew on here. So it looks like the SAE 30 is fine and a preferred multi-grade would be 15W-40.

Silly newbie question: is HDEO high detergent engine oil or heavy duty engine oil? I Googled it and it said 'heavy duty' which I thought was wrong.

HDEO = Heavy Duty/Diesel Engine Oil

like what you'd use on a truck "big rig"

Shell Rotella, Chevron Delo, Mobil Delvac, etc.

However, some SAE 30 oils are labeled "HD 30" to mean "high detergent" (these are usually NOT the HDEO described above!), but this is to distinguish those oils, which meet modern SN standards, from older "ND" or non-detergent SAE 30 oils, which are still prevalent and widely sold at stores, which only meet the old obsolete SA standard, and contain no additives.

HDEO means Heavy Duty Engine Oil.
High Detergent engine oil wouldn't be a lie though, as they are packed full of detergents and dispersants for the deposit and soot control than diesel engines need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back