Air compressor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm changing the oil in a vertical 80 gallon air compressor. It's a Northstar brand. It calls for sae 30 non detergent compressor oil. I have some oil for it made by Coastal(Warren). It is sae 30 ISO 100 non detergent motor oil. The API rating on the back is SA. It says contains no additives. When my dad changed his, he used Napa 30nd and it was SB rated. Is there much difference between SA and SB in a compressor? Will SA be OK? Or do I need a specific compressor oil?

It sounds like you have the right oil. I believe API SA is preferred due to not having additives. From what I remember SB will have some zddp anti wear additives in it, which you shouldn't need here.

Originally Posted By: c502cid
Wait, you are supposed to change compressor oil? lol. I suppose I'm 25 years overdue on mine then,

I have a smaller Emglo compressor that was being used a lot by my workers for interior wood work. The oil was not changed for a long time and it became "all glittery" and they also never checked the oil level and it seized. Probably why the glitter
mad.gif
. Changed the oil with Emglo compressor oil, which is straight 20 weight oil, and it's been fine ever since. I check it now and the oil stays "glitter" free now and at the proper level
wink.gif

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back