AGM Battery for $190 or Conventional for $135 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are 4000 Walmart stores, at which you can warranty exchange a bad battery, 24 hours a day. THAT is an impressive reason to buy a battery at Walmart.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
There are 4000 Walmart stores, at which you can warranty exchange a bad battery, 24 hours a day. THAT is an impressive reason to buy a battery at Walmart.

Only if they carry your battery in stock. They only carry a regular H8 battery and don't stock the AGM one although they list one. Also with coupon codes, Autozone, Advance and Pepboys could be cheaper as Walmart doesn't do discount codes.

Originally Posted by MParr
I would avoid Walmart Everstart Maxx batteries. I have had 2 go bad in just under 4 years.

I've always had great luck with Walmart's batteries. The Everstart Maxx I currently have has a build date of January 2011, making it nearly 8 years old. Been through -30° in the winter and +100° in the summer. I can't imagine it has a whole lot of life left at this point, but I had it tested and it checked out just fine.

If you have a relatively fast selling battery for your vehicle then at Wally World it is highly likely your battery will be brand new. Which does help quite a bit. In my area with Walmart selling East Penn batteries they are a good deal. I have seen many 24f batteries that are brand new because they are selling so fast. That is nice vs someone buying a battery that has dust bunnies on it and manufacturer date that is 7-10 months ago... That old battery will likely fail early even if it is taken home and charged really really well. The damage has already been done through sulfation by sitting so long with no charge being added to it regularly. Moral of the story... If one has a weird sized battery for their vehicle that is a notoriously slow seller... Get the place you will buy the battery from to order you a freshly manufactured one. That alone will help put you well ahead of the game from the start.

Neither. Get one from Costco for under $100. 42 mo free replacement warranty and plan on replacing it (again) before the warranty expires.

On customer cars I have been installing the WorldSourceOne line of batteries from WP. 24 mo free replacement warranty and are made by East-Penn. Pricing is under $80 for many popular sizes on Asian imports.

The Wallmart EverStart battery at local Walmart do not say anything about who manufactures it. When I looked a year or two ago it said JCI or Johnson Controls. So who makes them now?

Some time back after I got new tires for the wife's ol Lexus RX 330 on the way home I bought a AGM battery for it. I think it was about $200 then.
She doesn't work and we generally use my SUV so the Lexus sits a week, two, three weeks, sometime about a month. When we go out to start it, it turns over like normal and fires right up every time. It's get so little use but the battery turns it over like a daily driver. Then when she does drive it, its short in town trips.
When I do the annual oil change, it always comes out like new from the jug because so little use - might go to 2-year oil changes and at that it still would have very little use.
Come to think about it, the Lexus has sat for about a month or so - guess I'll go out this afternoon, check the fluids, tires pressures, wiper's etc. and maybe fire it up. Maybe run it with the OBD II plugged in and watch it.

Originally Posted by Errtt
Some time back after I got new tires for the wife's ol Lexus RX 330 on the way home I bought a AGM battery for it. I think it was about $200 then.
She doesn't work and we generally use my SUV so the Lexus sits a week, two, three weeks, sometime about a month. When we go out to start it, it turns over like normal and fires right up every time. It's get so little use but the battery turns it over like a daily driver. Then when she does drive it, its short in town trips.
When I do the annual oil change, it always comes out like new from the jug because so little use - might go to 2-year oil changes and at that it still would have very little use.
Come to think about it, the Lexus has sat for about a month or so - guess I'll go out this afternoon, check the fluids, tires pressures, wiper's etc. and maybe fire it up. Maybe run it with the OBD II plugged in and watch it.

You really need to get the engine and exhaust warmed up and hot if you are going to start it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back