AGM Battery for $190 or Conventional for $135 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your car came with a group 25 battery. Check your measurements to see if a group 34 will fit. If this were my car, I would go with a group 25 lead acid flooded battery. And, I would avoid Walmart Everstart Maxx batteries. I have had 2 go bad in just under 4 years. Get an East Penn made battery; NAPA, Sam's Club Duracell or Oreilly Auto Parts. Ford dealers have been running their top line Motorcraft batteries for $129.99

No strong opinion on it but might be time to start moving over to AGM. Sounds to me it's part of the evolution. I only own one so far and it's only two years old. Heard they are more vibration resistant.

I've posted about it before, AGM is the way to go. Buy at a real store, not Amazon. What you gonna do if your battery fails under warranty ship it back and wait two days for another one? I've been happy with my Super Start Platinum AGMs.

Last edited:
Fleet farm has an annual sale on AGM car batteries, sometimes dipping as low as $80

At that price it might be worth shoehorning in a slightly different size battery

YMMV

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I buy Interstate batteries from Costco; less then $100.
Being Costco, the warranty is good.

FYI, the warranty is only 3 years at Costco. Nonetheless, I buy my batteries there now.

Probably Pepboys is the best. Champion is JC too.

You could also check Advance Auto which normally runs a 25% off coupon code and Autozone which have a 20% off code. But while they're also both JC, they only have a 3 year warranty but could be a few dollars cheaper. Codes are always at retailmenot.com.

My Varta AGM which is also JC is 11 years old at this point.

And yes, local store only for batteries. Shipping never works when you have a warranty issue. What are you going to do if you ship it back and they claim it's fine?

Sams Club has Duracell/East Penn at decent prices. Costco has Interstate. Pep Boys has Bosch AGM's. I've had no issues with AGM from Amazon, ACDelco for our van. Also got Odyssey's for the truck from Amazon, no issues. Most auto stores have a tester that will give the CCA of the battery and performance of the starter and alternator.

Originally Posted by anpconnors
Sams Club has Duracell/East Penn at decent prices. Costco has Interstate. Pep Boys has Bosch AGM's. I've had no issues with AGM from Amazon, ACDelco for our van. Also got Odyssey's for the truck from Amazon, no issues. Most auto stores have a tester that will give the CCA of the battery and performance of the starter and alternator.

The Bosch AGM is an Excide and only a 3 year warranty. The Champion is a Johnson Controls and has a 4 year warranty. The Champion AGM ones also weighs 40 pounds instead of the 33 pounds of the Bosch one. And the champion is cheaper than Bosch. I'd get the Champion one.

No where near has much Eddie..

AGM batteries only lose 1-3% per month of charge. Flooded batteries can lose 12-15% per month of charge. This why a AGM battery can be six seven or eight months old and be in far better shape than the flooded battery.

Still wise to charge the battery if it sat that long.. and don't expect car alternator can to do it.. it won't. Don't trust the smart charger green light either..

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by anpconnors

The Bosch AGM is an Excide and only a 3 year warranty. The Champion is a Johnson Controls and has a 4 year warranty. The Champion AGM ones also weighs 40 pounds instead of the 33 pounds of the Bosch one. And the champion is cheaper than Bosch. I'd get the Champion one.

I agree Wolf. The Champion AGM is the better way to go.

I just got the Champion AGM battery from Pepboys, they are 25% off right now. With the 4 year warranty it was not only the cheapest, but the best choice. Mine was made by Johnson controls, made in Germany (For a VW).

Good deal man. . That price wise is a solid deal. And the best has far has warranty goes... Only other 4 yr free replacement warranty I can think of is through Batteries Plus...

Originally Posted by Eddie
Is the caution to get "fresh" batteries the same for AGM as it is for flooded?

I don't know why you wouldn't want a fresh one. Sometimes they just go by the date on the battery for warranty purposes if you don't have the receipt so of course the freshest one would give you the full warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back