AGM batteries in a pickup

Interesting reading on what is being posted here. This is a chart from CTEK (https://smartercharger.com/), which many major car manufacture uses and rebrand as their own chargers. That list include notable companies such as Ferrari, Lamborghini, Audi, Mercedes, BMW and Porsche. I am not trying to argue because I know little to nothing on this topic. I have been using CTEK charger for almost 20 years now and remember seeing this chart in the CTEK's user's manual. I would love to learn more about this if someone can please explain the possible reasons behind this chart vs. what is being posted here. Thanks.
I like that CTEK says more precisely what it does. And that's why I use their charger. There's some lacking details, but it seems better than the alternatives at the same price range.

See what your charging source is actually doing, and then you can also, with experience, estimate its remaining health/ ability/lifespan.
I always appreciate your insight.

So, how would one safely take a new battery to 50% charge? Leave lights on until it reads 12.1V (or whatever the battery manufacturer claims is 50% charge at given temp)?

It seems like CTEK absorption charge is doing what is ideal. Charging until it drops below some minimum current...Though it doesn't say what that minimum is.
Perhaps that is the critical detail that is missing?

The only other downside is max amperage is limited, but that will just impact the time it takes.
And you can choose 14.4 or 14.7V which should cover most bases. And it is temperature compensated.

Finally got around to installing the Walmart AGM batteries in my pick up. No real issues other that battery blanket looked a little chewed by nice.

The only issue was returning the old ones for the $12 core. I had sales slips from 2020 where I had bought other batteries but never returned the core. The transactions were no longer in their system.. Finally after 45 minutes to trying to figure out how to give me the core charge money back they did a return of the core no receipt and that worked.

Last edited:
I had a AGM in my 02 Tacoma that was still kickin 7 years, Diehard platinum. Currently energizer AGM in my 15 Tacoma for 4 years now.

Finally got around to installing the Walmart AGM batteries in my pick up. No real issues other that battery blanket looked a little chewed by nice.

This may seem like a silly question, but how do you know which Wal-Mart Everstart batteries are AGM? I ask this because I just checked their application book when I was in there yesterday. I wanted to see if they had a replacement battery for my 2018 Toyota Camry, as I wanted to check the price.

As it turned out they had one in the rack. ($129.45. I forget the group size). But it didn't say AGM on it anywhere. The only information I could find printed on the battery case itself, was the group size, and the cold cranking amps.

This may seem like a silly question, but how do you know which Wal-Mart Everstart batteries are AGM? I ask this because I just checked their application book when I was in there yesterday. I wanted to see if they had a replacement battery for my 2018 Toyota Camry, as I wanted to check the price.

As it turned out they had one in the rack. ($129.45. I forget the group size). But it didn't say AGM on it anywhere. The only information I could find printed on the battery case itself, was the group size, and the cold cranking amps.

If it doesn’t say AGM, it probably isn’t one.

If it doesn’t say AGM, it probably isn’t one.

I looked at most all of the batteries on the rack there yesterday. And I didn't see AGM marked on a single one of them. Perhaps none of the Everstart batteries are AGM. That might be the reason they're around $60.00 to $80.00 cheaper than similar group size batteries from the chain auto stores that are AGM.

You can go online to see what stores have as far as AGM batteries. I could not find any in the Walmart stores around Albany NY into Pittsfield MA. But found two in a Delaware Walmart.

I don't know why they are hard to find. The Pittsfield MA Walmart had a sign listing the various Everstart batteries including AGM, but never saw any AGM batteries there in several years.

My point was, it's seems very possible Wal-Mart is showing lead / acid replacement batteries where AGM is called for. Simply because I didn't see ANY of their batteries marked AGM, anywhere on their rack. (And they had A LOT of batteries). AGM applications have becoming more and more commonplace today.

I'm not so sure it's advisable to install a lead acid battery in a vehicle that specifically calls for AGM. My 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee is a perfect example. It requires a AGM battery, because it's located under the passenger seat. A lead acid battery would not vent properly. Not to mention it could easily corrode everything in the small, sealed compartment it sits in, damaging the vehicle, and ruining the carpeting under the seat.

Again the question becomes, does Wal-Mart make AGM batteries under their Everstart brand?

the AGM batteries that I have seen at my nearby (but not my local) Walmart have been gray colored batteries with black tops and had the letters AGM marked right below the group site on the label...they also were labeled Everstart Platinum and not Everstart Maxx...

I use AGM when the OEM calls for it but not if it doesn't...I wouldn't use an AGM on a car unless the OEM came with one...

Hope this helps...

Bill

the AGM batteries that I have seen at my nearby (but not my local) Walmart have been gray colored batteries with black tops and had the letters AGM marked right below the group site on the label...they also were labeled Everstart Platinum and not Everstart Maxx...

I use AGM when the OEM calls for it but not if it doesn't...I wouldn't use an AGM on a car unless the OEM came with one...

Hope this helps...

Bill
If that's the case, (and I have no doubt it is), there isn't a single one at our local Wal-Mart Super Center. And for what it's worth, it is the biggest Wal-Mart I've ever been in. And I'm constantly roaming around the automotive section there, looking for oil, filters and such.

My point was, it's seems very possible Wal-Mart is showing lead / acid replacement batteries where AGM is called for. Simply because I didn't see ANY of their batteries marked AGM, anywhere on their rack. (And they had A LOT of batteries). AGM applications have becoming more and more commonplace today.

I'm not so sure it's advisable to install a lead acid battery in a vehicle that specifically calls for AGM. My 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee is a perfect example. It requires a AGM battery, because it's located under the passenger seat. A lead acid battery would not vent properly. Not to mention it could easily corrode everything in the small, sealed compartment it sits in, damaging the vehicle, and ruining the carpeting under the seat.

Again the question becomes, does Wal-Mart make AGM batteries under their Everstart brand?
Yes. Just hard to find.

If that's the case, (and I have no doubt it is), there isn't a single one at our local Wal-Mart Super Center. And for what it's worth, it is the biggest Wal-Mart I've ever been in. And I'm constantly roaming around the automotive section there, looking for oil, filters and such.
Not sure its the size of the Walmart store rather it's the location (what state) it's in. Who knows the reason. Maybe one buyer for a region goes for AGM and other buyers do not. And when they have them they only have a couple of group sizes. I got two group 65 at one store.

I just went there again this morning, and while I was there I checked. They had a full whack of new batteries in all of the racks. Not one empty space. Not a single one was a AGM.

How does one go about checking to see if the charging system of a vehicle is compatible with AGM batteries? For the record, on my CTEK charger, it states that Optima/AGM batteries should be charged with higher voltage than the flooded batteries.
I wonder if the reason for that is the glass mat technology has a higher resistance because a glass mat is a non conductor, and a flooded battery has the electrolyte in near 100% contact with the plates?

I just went there again this morning, and while I was there I checked. They had a full whack of new batteries in all of the racks. Not one empty space. Not a single one was a AGM.
Inventory depends on the store.

I use a combination of my modified alternator and Blue Sea solar charger to keep my dual battery setup working optimally. In my application the key and heart of the system is the RVC (regulated voltage controller). It measures the negative amps to send proper charging volts/amps through the regulator. I increased the ground wires from #4 and 10 gauge to double 1 gauge and stuffed them in the hole. I simply turn my lights on to increase the voltage going to the batteries. My 75/15 charge controller parameters are set to keep them topped off when I'm parked via solar panel.

7ABDF77D-F466-4068-9F58-C0B9D620DE10_1_201_a.jpeg

E840B414-06F1-4F0F-88E0-43550C9844E1.jpeg
9E65D113-89F9-4B1F-B71F-8B9B96EB2FDF.jpeg

EF50EF2A-82B5-4303-9EB7-334754F39A30.jpeg

I have quite a few Walmarts near me and I also roam the auto section whenever I'm there...only one Walmart has ever had the AGM batteries...usually on the floor of the rack (end of the rack?)...

Bill

If Walmart is not routinely stocking AGM batteries in all locations, it would seem that a warranty replacement would be challenging if the need occurs unexpectedly.
Not only that. It really doesn't matter about the location of any Wal-Mart, as far as battery replacement. The same new vehicles exist all over the country. And many of them require AGM batteries. AGM batteries that Wal-Mart doesn't stock. I can't help but wonder how many cars are running around with Wal-Mart lead / acid batteries, that should have AGM batteries instead?

Back