Aging 4Runner, stick with OEM Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings BITOGers, what you are about to read has probably been asked many times, but I could't find a similar situation by searching.

I recently aquired a '97 Toyota 4Runner 3.4L with 268k miles.

The previous owner had the truck for the majority of it's life, putting nearly 200k miles on it himself, I've driven about 1k in it.

He said he always used Castrol GTX High Mileage (y'all probably have an acronym for that) 5w-30 with an OEM filter every 3k miles (it ought to be clean in there lol). The engine runs very nicely and burns no oil. Only leaks are slight valve cover leaks, which is normal for a 5VZ-FE of this age.

I plan on switching oils and increasing the OCI at some point, likely after I replace the valve cover gaskets so I can see how well Castrol has done it's job.

The general consensus around here seems to say that Toyota filters aren't that great, but I can't find any evidence that other filters in it's price range are much better.

Opinions on oil filters on this site seem very polarized, with no filter being clearly the best, which isn't exactly surprising. One thread may say that FRAM and Purolator suck and WIX is great and another says the exact opposite, etc. I have had other vehicles before this and have used mostly NAPA Gold/WIX, with no failures.

My question is of course, should I stick with the OEM filter or are other filters definitively better, and which one(s)?

(P.S. Please answer with factual information, not "well I done used them purolaters fer 10 years and never blew nothin." Thanks.)

ok...let's put it this way: if OEM oil filter is inferior to that of aftermarket ones (national brand names, not some offshot ones from nowhere), then why, pray-tell, does Toyota uses their OEM oil filters in the engine assembly line, or even forced dealerships servicing dept to use them OEM oil filters (for the sake of warranty-related protection, if you care to think that way) and not some other so-called national aftermarket brand oil filters?

Don't they (toys) have to worry about engine going ka-boom and lots of OEM oil-filter related engine failure incidents that would lead to massive lawsuits?

I think if I think hard enough about this subject, it would simply answer itself and go away.

Q.

Toyota filter is fine if it can get the engine to this mileage. Use whatever you are comfortable with (including Fram) and worry about something else instead (i.e. suspension / CV joints etc) for a vehicle at this age / mileage.

If OEM is a good price and you can get ahold of one regularly, I don't see why you should change, as they seem to have done the job well so far.

Especially since your OCIs are only 3k to start.

If you can find a better deal on a trusted filter brand that fits then use that. If the truck was new, I'd say stick with OEM so there's no question, but at 268k miles, a good filter is a good filter. I use Motorcraft on my '03 Merc Sable with 176k miles, partly because it's less than $4 a pop and because it works perfectly well for a 5k OCI. I have never priced a Toyota filter, so I don't know how it compares to Fram, Wix, Napa, etc.. but if the prices are close, I see no reason to change.

If you ever decide to go with a longer OCI, then perhaps the jump to a Fram TG or Ultra would be useful, for obvious reasons.

I have always used WIX and Denso (Denso is Toyota OEM) filters in my Toyota's. I have put many miles on them and never had a problem. I occasionally cut them open to inspect after use, and never had any issues with them. If you stick with these brands, you will be just fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Toyota filter is fine if it can get the engine to this mileage. Use whatever you are comfortable with (including Fram) and worry about something else instead (i.e. suspension / CV joints etc) for a vehicle at this age / mileage.

I have rebuilt all steering parts and ball joints myself recently with oem parts, almost as soon as I got it actually. 4Runners are known to have LBJ issues.

I find it a bit odd that FRAM filters are recommended here sometimes, suppose not all of them are cheaply made orange cans o' death then. Was under the impression that WIX was superior.

The Toyota filters just seem to be constructed a bit oddly, guess it works well enough.

I will probably switch to the YZZD3 on the next change, it's just a larger filter.

Price differences of $1-$3 dont make that much difference to me if I know I'm getting quality.

Originally Posted By: NeilR
The Toyota filters just seem to be constructed a bit oddly, guess it works well enough.

The Denso's that I have bought all have metal end caps, silicone ADV, and the thickest can metal of any filter I have seen.

Look at guard filters. I have used them on lawn mowers, cars, etc. and are perfect for 5k OCI. I know some stealerships use them too. Plus for less than 5 bucks a pop, you cant go wrong.

Opinions on oil filters on this site seem very polarized, with no filter being clearly the best, which isn't exactly surprising. One thread may say that FRAM and Purolator suck and WIX is great and another says the exact opposite, etc.

It all depends on what model of filters in those brands you are talking about. I'd go with WIX or NAPA Gold, Fram Ultra, or Purolator synthetic. I'd probably not buy Purolator Classics or PureOnes until the quality issue is clearly resolved.

I will probably switch to the YZZD3 on the next change, it's just a larger filter.

Price differences of $1-$3 dont make that much difference to me if I know I'm getting quality.

The Toyota filters aren't very efficient. Only 51% @ 20 microns.

My sis' 4runner is at 348k currently. Gets whatever the cheap shop throws on it. I've changed it a few times, but not regularly. Thing keeps on running, burns/leaks a bit, but nothing too bad.

Any filter will be fine. I'd try to find a deal on a good mid-price range and stock up. Denso or similar from rockauto or something from oil change deals, etc.

Greetings BITOGers, what you are about to read has probably been asked many times, but I could't find a similar situation by searching.

I recently aquired a '97 Toyota 4Runner 3.4L with 268k miles.

The previous owner had the truck for the majority of it's life, putting nearly 200k miles on it himself, I've driven about 1k in it.

He said he always used Castrol GTX High Mileage (y'all probably have an acronym for that) 5w-30 with an OEM filter every 3k miles (it ought to be clean in there lol). The engine runs very nicely and burns no oil. Only leaks are slight valve cover leaks, which is normal for a 5VZ-FE of this age.

I plan on switching oils and increasing the OCI at some point, likely after I replace the valve cover gaskets so I can see how well Castrol has done it's job.

The general consensus around here seems to say that Toyota filters aren't that great, but I can't find any evidence that other filters in it's price range are much better.

Opinions on oil filters on this site seem very polarized, with no filter being clearly the best, which isn't exactly surprising. One thread may say that FRAM and Purolator suck and WIX is great and another says the exact opposite, etc. I have had other vehicles before this and have used mostly NAPA Gold/WIX, with no failures.

My question is of course, should I stick with the OEM filter or are other filters definitively better, and which one(s)?

(P.S. Please answer with factual information, not "well I done used them purolaters fer 10 years and never blew nothin." Thanks.)

With such great success from the previous owner why would you change anything if the engine looks clean when you fix the valve cover?

Which part of TN are you from?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

The Toyota filters aren't very efficient. Only 51% @ 20 microns.

I am starting to wonder how much if any emphasis to place on ratings. If I look at this chart from left to right it nearly goes from the least reliable car to most reliable car
confused.gif

Last edited:
Vehicle reliability has way more to do with other things besides what oil filter is used on it.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Vehicle reliability has way more to do with other things besides what oil filter is used on it.

I agree with that completely. It just seems if this Toyota has 268k miles and has used the OEM filter with 51 percent efficiency then its not a critical detail.

Last edited:
I have tried many filters on my 04 Toyota Tacoma (5vz-FE) and both Wix and Fram filters gave me some noise at start-up, similar to a slight knocking that would only last a second or two. I tried a OEM filter 90915-YZZG1 and I no longer have startup noise. Say what you want but I'm sold on Toyota Filters. The question I have is who other than Denso makes Toyota Filters? My YZZG1 says made in the USA on it while the YZZD1 jade made in Thailand with Denso markings.

If u are changing oil every 3k miles, u can use any oil filter u can find. I would go w the cheapest filter for sale, like purolator, champion, Wal-Mart, etc.

Im using an oversized Napa 51516 (Wix 1516) with no issues on my 5VZFE. I immediately threw out/changed out all my Bosch and Purolator filters after finding tears on some of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back