Aging 4Runner, stick with OEM Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
With such great success from the previous owner why would you change anything if the engine looks clean when you fix the valve cover?

Which part of TN are you from?

Didn't plan on changing the type of oil until I did the valve covers, just the type of filter.

I am from the Cumberland Plateau area.

Originally Posted By: Tmiller3063
I have tried many filters on my 04 Toyota Tacoma (5vz-FE) and both Wix and Fram filters gave me some noise at start-up, similar to a slight knocking that would only last a second or two. I tried a OEM filter 90915-YZZG1 and I no longer have startup noise. Say what you want but I'm sold on Toyota Filters. The question I have is who other than Denso makes Toyota Filters? My YZZG1 says made in the USA on it while the YZZD1 jade made in Thailand with Denso markings.

Interesting, I'll see if I can get a G1 for a decent price. Do they make a high capacity version like "YZZG3" or something similar? I find the YZZD1 a bit small for a V6 filter.

Originally Posted By: NeilR
4Runners are known to have LBJ issues.

LBJ issues? You mean like a lack of normal boundaries, resulting in a propensity to whip it out and pee in front of total strangers?

I have tried many filters on my 04 Toyota Tacoma (5vz-FE) and both Wix and Fram filters gave me some noise at start-up, similar to a slight knocking that would only last a second or two. I tried a OEM filter 90915-YZZG1 and I no longer have startup noise. Say what you want but I'm sold on Toyota Filters. The question I have is who other than Denso makes Toyota Filters? My YZZG1 says made in the USA on it while the YZZD1 jade made in Thailand with Denso markings.

Interesting, I'll see if I can get a G1 for a decent price. Do they make a high capacity version like "YZZG3" or something similar? I find the YZZD1 a bit small for a V6 filter.

http://www.toyota.com/toyota-owners-online-theme/pdf/OilFilters2011-LowRes.pdf

Go here to find what filter is spec for your vehicle. Make sure to read bottom note regarding part number equivalents.

Last edited:
Quote:
With such great success from the previous owner why would you change anything if the engine looks clean when you fix the valve cover?

Which part of TN are you from?

Didn't plan on changing the type of oil until I did the valve covers, just the type of filter.

I am from the Cumberland Plateau area.

Awesome area of the state. I am crammed in the upper east area
grin.gif

So the engine looks a bit dirty?

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
4Runners are known to have LBJ issues.

LBJ issues? You mean like a lack of normal boundaries, resulting in a propensity to whip it out and pee in front of total strangers?

"Lower Ball Joint" hahaha

Originally Posted By: davinci
Awesome area of the state. I am crammed in the upper east area
grin.gif

So the engine looks a bit dirty?

Yes it's quite nice here. Upper east is very pretty too, Elizabethton is nice.

No I have no idea of the engine is dirty, haven't had time to do the valve covers yet. I suppose I used a confusing tense, sorry. :p

http://www.toyota.com/toyota-owners-online-theme/pdf/OilFilters2011-LowRes.pdf

Go here to find what filter is spec for your vehicle. Make sure to read bottom note regarding part number equivalents.

"The following part numbers are equivalents:

90915-YZZG1, 08922-02011, 90915-YZZD1, 90915-YZZD1-DS**"

Yea my dealer does not carry the D1, so I have to settle for the G1
So yes either the D1 or G1 will fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back