Stick with OEM or try aftermarket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using an OE filter means you are using a filter that meets the specs the manufacturer requires. Changed on a regular basis, you will have no filter related issues in the engines lifetime.

Using an aftermarket filter, you are using a filter that should meet the manufacturer specs. Changed on a regular basis, you should have no filter related issues in the engines life.
As mentioned above, occasionally a new engine design changes old filter specs, and takes a bit to get updated by aftermarket, but your 11 year old vehicle has correct aftermarket filters out there.

Many here get very worried about filter specs (how many microns does it filter down to, what percentage, what is the exact bypass pressure, what is the size, etc).
Then you get those that are "it is close enough".

I am in that second group (when it comes to canister filters). I use non-standard filters on vehicles, so not only do I not use OEM, I use filters not spec'ed for my vehicle. I run Honda spec filters on my Hyundai's. I use non standard size filters (either larger or smaller) on several vehicles. They filter the oil, have similar bypass settings, and physically fit my vehicles. Price is my biggest factor, then filter fit/construction, then actual specs and filtration.

For cartridge type filters, I do tend to stick with OEM. Mainly because of price. Most OE cartridge filters can be found for the same price or cheaper than even the "cheap" aftermarket. I have also seen several cartridges being slightly over sized and crumpling or deforming (but not an outright failure). The only exception is when you can find an aftermarket that is actually the manufacturer of the OE filter (like on my Santa Fe, Mahle makes the OE filter)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back