Aftermarket water pumps

I need to replace the water pump on my ‘01 Mustang GT. I’m looking at the Motorcraft unit but have read on this forum that some are made in Canada and some are made in China, and read and looked at pictures on Amazon’s reviews of people complaining that the Motorcraft WP (PW464) has rust issues on the impeller and welds right out of the box. Aside from Motorcraft, are there any good aftermarket brands? I’ve had issues with Gates water pumps in the past so I’m avoiding that brand.

nope my bad didn’t realize the 464 is an orphan. it has a very different design than the 423/494.

i’ve had good luck with airtex and gmb pumps
I have a GMB but started leaking at the plug. It’s only got about 8,000 miles on it

I just installed a new Murray brand water pump in my Jeep last month. It appears to be a high quality piece and has a lifetime warranty if purchased from O'Reilly's Auto Parts. Fit and finish was excellent.
Thank you I’ll have to check it out

I need to replace the water pump on my ‘01 Mustang GT. I’m looking at the Motorcraft unit but have read on this forum that some are made in Canada and some are made in China, and read and looked at pictures on Amazon’s reviews of people complaining that the Motorcraft WP (PW464) has rust issues on the impeller and welds right out of the box. Aside from Motorcraft, are there any good aftermarket brands? I’ve had issues with Gates water pumps in the past so I’m avoiding that brand.
You seem picky about some brands. Rock Auto has Motorcraft for your Mustang. That's what I would use and not worry about some questionable reviews. You are not likely going to find anything other than Chinese made aftermarket pumps. The rust you describe probably is from improper storage.

read and looked at pictures on Amazon’s reviews of people complaining that the Motorcraft WP (PW464) has rust issues on the impeller and welds right out of the box.
Doesn't Amazon have a pretty liberal return policy? If you don't like what you see, return it. And don't be too concerned with online reviews, many of which are fake anyway.

Not sure of a brand currently but my son has been making a lot of purchases from Rock Auto and returns are easy and free.
With RA you have to do your research elsewhere. Shipping can be high but prices are good and coupon codes are always floating around.

On my Isuzu p'up has a lifetime warranty on water pump at AutoZone. It had 4 replacements already over the years free of charge. Looking for more freebies on this warranty in the far future. :p

On my Isuzu p'up has a lifetime warranty on water pump at AutoZone. It had 4 replacements already over the years free of charge. Looking for more freebies on this warranty in the far future. :p
Probably some Chinese made pump for $42 that you could have gotten from Rock Auto for $10. They have to charge 4 times as much to cover all the returns on defective pumps. But hey, if you like to spend a few hours changing out the pump every few years instead of spending a little more for a quality pump that lasts 10 years, knock yourself out.

Are Airtex-ASC water pumps still made in the U.S.? I knew Airtex moved their water pump business to ASC in Ohio a while back. Their fuel pumps are China/Mexico origin now.(and not recommended)

Probably some Chinese made pump for $42 that you could have gotten from Rock Auto for $10. They have to charge 4 times as much to cover all the returns on defective pumps. But hey, if you like to spend a few hours changing out the pump every few years instead of spending a little more for a quality pump that lasts 10 years, knock yourself out.
I bought the first water pump back in late 1990s eary 2000s Autozone Duralast made by Aisin. I remember the store clerk telling me back then, take the store brand it;s new and it has lifetime warranty, so I did. Moving forward to water pump #4 which is installed right now, yes you are correct it's now Chinese made not Aisin. :confused: (n)

Sounds like a lot of work to take a chance on a water pump.
Can you get an OEM one from the dealer?
Lifetime warranties on cheap parts are a gimmick they are hoping it will last a while,who wants to replace and replace cheap parts.

Can't beat that lifetime warranty, but you spend your lifetime replacing them over and over again.
Sure feels good getting that free part though.....

Can't beat that lifetime warranty, but you spend your lifetime replacing them over and over again.
Sure feels good getting that free part though.....
Free part feels as good as two hours labor and some skinned knuckles.

I have a GMB but started leaking at the plug. It’s only got about 8,000 miles on it
I would suggest NPW water pump. High quality, Japanese made. Can be had at NAPA under the Altrom name but the casting is stamped NPW Japan. Only thing with NAPA is their high prices. Google NPW water pump. May even be available at Rock Auto.

Back