Aftermarket Water pump ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any difference in quality among the water pumps sold at Advance Auto Parts, Autozone, and O'Reilly Auto Parts ?

All of them seem to be in the same price range, have a lifetime warranty and are made in China . The O'Reilly store near me has the one (labeled as Murray brand )I need in stock but it is special order at the others.

Last edited:
If you don't already have a web site bookmarked for OEM parts do a search using your vehicle make. There are numerous dealerships that sell OEM parts online for prices that are surprisingly competitive with aftermarket (hondaautomotiveparts.com, for example).

As Trav says, most aftermarket water pumps do not measure up.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Junk, every last one of them. Buy OE or OEM only.

And who makes those pumps.
wink.gif

The vehicle is a Ford 7.3 IDI PU that gets minimal use and the water pump is not too difficult to replace. If it were a Honda or some other vehicle where a lot of labor was involved or a it was a critical part ( eg part of timing system) I use only OEM ( done several Honda TB/WP jobs with Honda OEM or AISIN parts). However, in this case I just want purchase an inexpensive pump for this vehicle and wondered if any of these pumps was better then the other.

They are all about the same, some claim the GMB is better. Have you tried ebay?
I don't know if this is the one but it cant be much more than aftermarket.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcraft-PW454-Engine-Water-Pump-1996-2003-E350-E450-E550-7-3L-V8-DIESEL-/200779751092?fits=Make%3AFord

I've found good water pumps like ACDelco and Aisin on Amazon for good prices. Also, check NAPA as they can carry some decent stuff.

The Autozone Duralast water pump I put on my Dakota about 40,000 miles ago was made here in the USA. That was about 4 years ago and AZ may have changed suppliers since then. Pump is still doing fine today but has a lifetime warranty. It also only cost about $55.00. The local Dodge Boys wanted $175.00 for their Mopar pump IIRC.

In my experience aftermarket water pumps are a [censored].. I've had the GMB pumps from advance last a good long while and others fail in 3k miles.. I've heard decent things about the 'gates' brand pumps on rockauto. I agree with others in that I'd only use an aftermarket pump on a car where it was easily changed. If its a Honda or something that takes a ton of work I'd spring for OEM.

Originally Posted By: rkpatt
The vehicle is a Ford 7.3 IDI PU that gets minimal use and the water pump is not too difficult to replace. If it were a Honda or some other vehicle where a lot of labor was involved or a it was a critical part ( eg part of timing system) I use only OEM ( done several Honda TB/WP jobs with Honda OEM or AISIN parts). However, in this case I just want purchase an inexpensive pump for this vehicle and wondered if any of these pumps was better then the other.

Check rockauto.com for their selections. Get a new, not refurb one, and you should be fine.

I honestly have not seen that much of a difference in most water pumps now. Even gates and other "name" brands are made in china.

Find a good, clean independent auto repair shop and ask them what brand of pump they would use if they did the job on your vehicle. They've probably learned which brand is worth using. No one likes come-backs.

Originally Posted By: rkpatt
Is there any difference in quality among the water pumps sold at Advance Auto Parts, Autozone, and O'Reilly Auto Parts ?

All of them seem to be in the same price range, have a lifetime warranty and are made in China . The O'Reilly store near me has the one (labeled as Murray brand )I need in stock but it is special order at the others.

OEM or OEM supplier only. I've read decent things about Gates but I'd use them only on cars that don't use timing belt driven pumps.

I just bought a Gates brand from Rock Auto and I was surprised that it was made in china. It "looks" quality though.

It was for a 200 Chrysler mini van.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
The Autozone Duralast water pump I put on my Dakota about 40,000 miles ago was made here in the USA. That was about 4 years ago and AZ may have changed suppliers since then. Pump is still doing fine today but has a lifetime warranty. It also only cost about $55.00. The local Dodge Boys wanted $175.00 for their Mopar pump IIRC.

I also have one of those made in USA water pumps in my Alero. So far, so good.

I actually paid MORE for a very nice looking aftermarket pump at NAPA - purchased there for convenience along with Gates belts. It was rattling at 15 months and leaking at 18 months. It was a true PITA to change with removing everything (having the pry back the timing belt cover). Never had an OEM pump on that car give me any trouble. I changed them every 90-100K miles along with the T-belt.

There may be plenty of instances in which aftermarket pumps are available and high quality. I'm just not going to play those odds.

Been looking at a NPW brand water pump for my Mazda when I do a timing belt change. Made in Japan. Local Napa has one in stock so I am going to go and take a look at it soon. The dealership seems to only sell remanufactured ones.

So new made in Japan or reman oem??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back