Aftermarket Mods - Increases Resale Value of Car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you modify an adult car, may as well remove and sell it on ebay. If you mod a civic, corolla, mustang, etc. sure, teenagers will be all over that. May make money. Target the right market segment, that's all.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
My opinion is any money spent on any modification or upgrades is by the current owner's choice and I shouldn't have to pay him back for the privledge of buying the car from him.

In general, I agree. Some people really think too highly of their so called accomplishments. Most used car buyers just want a stock car. Modified cars just means the previous owner operated it harder thus potentially shortening the life of all other components which remained stock.

Agreed. And if I were buying used, Id want to know that the car was handled in as gentle a manner as possible. Certain things might be reasonable, but it is a definite case-by-case basis.

Yep. Did only two mods to mine. Axel back pipes and a radio. (The Shaker 500 would play CDs any more.)

Maybe, maybe, a CAI and a tune. But it will never see a super/turbo charger or nitrous.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
If you modify an adult car, may as well remove and sell it on ebay. If you mod a civic, corolla, mustang, etc. Sure, teenagers will be all over that. May make money. Target the right market segment, that's all.

This is the other point I tried to make to the seller. If he really wants to get his outrageous price, he'd have to find a clueless teenager or young 20-something that he can sucker into paying for such nice modifications. I think that comment is what ilicited the name calling and character assination.

Anyone have any comments on the two sources I used to come up with a market value? It seems that KBB, NADA, and Edmunds are the only things available to the general public. Do dealers have other, more reliable/realistic info available to them that we can access somehow?

Sometimes mods can add value. 2002 Dodge cummins for example, if you upgrade to a FASS fuel filter and pump it generates more reliability on the injector pump. However, if you put in huge injectors and cut a hole in the hood for a soot stack you clearly have hurt the value.

Reliability improvement mods show that you are an intelligent, caring owner that is on top of maintenance. If your car has a common failure and you have done a good mod to prevent that failure you have done well.

I would pay more for a pristine stock vehicle as a general rule.

The biggest thing i hate to see in a used car is a modified intake with a questionable filter on it.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I would not buy a modified car. Ever. Aftermarket stereo might be the only exception.

Even then, how good was the install? Hack-job without a proper harness? Shoddy soldering/insulation? No thanks.

Only thing I would accept on a car would be different wheels and MAYBE an exhaust system if it wasn't horribly loud or hideous.

On my old Audi, the previous owner had the ECU tuned and had an exhaust, but these were both warrantied by the dealer so I felt comfortable with it.

+1

aftermarket mods lowers resale

only places it doesn't is at small used car lots/ we loan $$$ to anyone places.

As others have noted, mods almost always and everywhere reduce the value of a car in the used car market.
There are very few mods to any vehicle that are true upgrades.
An example might be putting a double row timing chain set on an old Benz 380, if there are any single row engines still left running, or replacing the timing chain tensioner on a BMW M42 with the M44 part.
These are also invisible mods that only the knowledgeable would understand or appreciate.
The avearge kid on a VAG site hasn't a clue as to what's useful and desirable and what isn't.
You can ask whatever you like for any car.
Getting someone to pay it is another matter.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
The A6 also needs a new clutch, is due for the timig belt job in div>

The statement above alone tells me that the priority for the owner were mods and not maintenance. Now, that the high cost stuff is starting to pile up, he wants to ditch the ride.
That is why I avoid cars with mods because in most cases the owner cares more about how flashy his/her ride looks/sounds than its mechanical state. I find this especially true with younger owners.

I look at the car with mods then deduct what it will cost me to put it back OEM inc labor.
Mods like Bilstein shock or struts to replace OEM are a good thing and i deduct nothing but i wont pay a premium over book either.

Anything with body kits, lighting, most interior stuff deduct like crazy.

A lot of the suspension mods can be returned back to stock if selling. However they can't be undo'd if the frame for components have been modified (cut IFS crossmembers or trimmed front differentials). I would totally avoid buying someones project (solid axle conversions, clean engines swaps are totally fine.)

Clean engine swaps are totally rare.
You hardly ever see one done really right, and then only if it's plug and play.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Clean engine swaps are totally rare.
You hardly ever see one done really right, and then only if it's plug and play.

Well in the LS world all of the one I have seen are awesome.
Depends on what the budget was and what motor is being swapped in.

Depends upon the application, too.
I'm thinking street legal cars that can pass emissions inspection as well as the test.
What flies in some places ain't gonna make it in others.
Even for a street legal, emissions compliant car, though, with enough invested, I'm sure you can make a swap look compliant and blow clean enough.

Well I don't agree with you often, mostly your GM comments...,but I would totally agree with this.

In general, such mods don't increase value. And, they certainly reduce the target market.

However, certain performance cars have well known issues, and there are well known common mods and so on. In that case, mods may significantly increase value.

All too often I've seen the people who mod their cars, at the same time neglect routine repairs.

Around here, they spend time modding their cars, but neglect the rust issues. It's hard to project a "cool looking car" image when you have rust holes everywhere. Misdirected priorities, IMO.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
In general, such mods don't increase value. And, they certainly reduce the target market.

However, certain performance cars have well known issues, and there are well known common mods and so on. In that case, mods may significantly increase value.

Yup... A friend of a guy I know had a '67 Corvette with a modern drive train, interior, suspension etc... Was asked what it'd take to buy it and he said $160,000, the guy said I want it... Within a week it had changed owners...

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

Well I don't agree with you often, mostly your GM comments...,but I would totally agree with this.

I haven't written anything negative about GM products in a long time.
I even started a festival of GM thread in which I gleefully wrote that German engineering was no match for pushrod Chevy power, a phrase that I figured (correctly) would inflame the Teutonophiles.
The thread recounted a Car & Driver track test.

I even started a festival of GM thread in which I gleefully wrote that German engineering was no match for pushrod Chevy power,

And I see both as irrelevant. While the modern CSB is a capable engine, with excellent power to weight, and a very compact form, it's (in many cases) still normally aspirated and therefore down on power and torque.

Now, if you want to talk turbo's, the CSB is not an ideal engine and falls short in a number of ways. A better solution is the Toyota 6 cylinder with single turbo and 1500HP. (let the wars begin... )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back