Aftermarket catalytic converter lifespan?

EPA warranty is 2 years/25k for catalytic performance, 5 years/50k for structural integrity

Only California requires a 5 year warranty on catalytic performance.
I am interested only in structural integrity , as far as I know that (Kwong Kee) Catalytic converters are made of cordierite ceramic, which is very durable substance , I think I will go for it …

I put aftermarket cats on both my 84 cutlass and the 83 Caprice I sold a year ago. I installed them because I don't enjoy smelling exhaust plus I prefer to be legal. The aftermarket ones got rid of the exhaust smell but smell like rotten eggs after using heavy throttle.
The truck has original cats from 2005 with 216k miles and 9600 hours. No signs of them failing (knock on wood). On cold start it smells the same as they did brand new when they would bring them in the drive through of the service department for PDI. Smells like moth balls to me. No smell when warmed up.

Back in 2006 soon after I bought my 92 Cavalier, the original cat started rattling really bad at around 77,000 miles. The insides were all broken up. I had an aftermarket cat installed and it's still on the car today with 244,000 miles on the car and no issues.

Back