Aftercleaning with synthetic following AutoRx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awhile back I want through the high mile AutoRx treatment on my 1985 Volvo turbo with 241,000 miles. I was a happy camper for the better compression and power alone. I could even see some top end (via the oil filler) cleaning had taken place, but I didn't really have sludge or thick crap - I could see it was removing a bit of the darker brown stuff, but not much else. That was 3700 miles or so back. I since have dumped in Amsoil diesel and marine 15W-40. I have used maybe 1/2 of a quart (I was just slightly overfilled at the start of this OCI)

Saturday I opened the filler cap (for the first time since dumping in the 15W-40) to bring the dipstick level up to full (where I like it).

Let me tell you - the engine is VERY clean inside. I was thinking the oil darkened a bit in 3700 miles, but I consider this pretty normal on a high mileage turbo, even after AutoRx. But I'm really surprised that the oil isn't even darker.

So the after rinse is a REAL thing, and maybe Frank will say to dino oil for this, but the 15W-40 is doing "real good".
patriot.gif
canada.gif

[ November 10, 2003, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

I am pleased your happy with results . Please remember application instructions are formatted for people who don't have your knowledge or skill.
So for most please follow application instructions found on www.auto-rx.com for engines.

Got an e-mail today where Auto-Rx customer who used 12 ounces of Auto-Rx to clean transmission. Now he is concerned what might happen (nothing, Auto-Rx can do no harm either in a to much or to little mode )since he did not follow application instructions worst case is cleaning won't be as good as if he followed application instructions on
www.auto-rx.net claims someone on board told him 12 ounces better than recommended 6 ounces.Pablo your qualified to try modifications most are not
Thanks Again

quote:

Originally posted by Frank:

Got an e-mail today where Auto-Rx customer who used 12 ounces of Auto-Rx to clean transmission. Now he is concerned what might happen (nothing, Auto-Rx can do no harm either in a to much or to little mode )since he did not follow application instructions worst case is cleaning won't be as good as if he followed application instructions on
www.auto-rx.net claims someone on board told him 12 ounces better than recommended 6 ounces.

@Frank
Is this product sold in stores?
Also,in the case of the VW O1 "sealed" tranny it is hard to get more than 2 quarts of oil out of the pan without having a vacuum flush machine.
I've heard that the torque converter can be emptied by running the engine at 10 sec. intervals, but this seems dicey. Replacing the fluid is difficult since there is no dipstick.
Any suggestions for these sealed trannys that are also appearing on BMW and MB?

Your only choices are to siphon the tranny sump with a 12 V diaphram pump and flexible tubes (parts from AP or Farm and Ranch stores, hardware stores, etc) or to disconnect the high pressure line from the tranny to the radiator and let it drain.

If you don't have the technical expertise or experience to do the above, then take it to the dealer.

Mola's got it;

"or to disconnect the high pressure line from the tranny to the radiator and let it drain."

This is a messy technique but very safe and effective. We have listed and described this method here and on Auto-RX.com.

Basically you add the exact amount of ATF to the trans you drain out the cooler line ( you'll have to disconnect both cause you won't know which is the high pressure line. Can you find a port to add fluid ?

Start car and run at idle until about a gallon is expended, shutdown, add fresh ATF, repeat until you are getting clean ATF at the output. Top up, replace lines and rock on. Even the TQ converter is replenished with NO trapped air.

I must say this from experience and that is Auto-RX will remain for a LONG time in the ATF with no problems if you just want to use it as a liquid filter, We have a GM Cadillac trans with at least 50,000 miles on 6 ounces, no filter or fluid change yet and it corrected a shift problem.

Goodluck and have a lot of rags handy.

Thanks for the replies!
Yes there is a fill hole which doubles as a pressure vent that can be filled with a funnnel- hose snaked from above the engine bay.
So what your saying is that this doesn't have to drained or rinsed again so soon, just wait until the next service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back