After 7 years, the 300M is no more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Where the center section of my dash has a very classy looking carbon fibre applique, for 08 this is just black plastic.

I should say that the black plastic is on the base models. The 08 Touring has silver plastic, but it's still cheaper looking than the carbon fibre on the 07 Touring.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
I like the dash especially at night. It's one that looks really good all lit up.

You know, that's actually my biggest complaint about the 300 version of the LX platform. I prefer the Magnum, Charger, and Challenger dash where only the numbers light up so that at night its a blue/green numbers on a black background with orange pointers. The 300, where the whole white gauge face glows blue-green and you see black numbers and black pointers, is like staring into a flashlight for me. Whenever I have a 300 rental car and I have to drive it at night, I wind up dimming the dash lights all the way off because I just can't stand the glare.

I do the same thing on the new Camry that has a HUGE illuminated LCD in the center panel- just too bright.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
It would appear the Germans can get something right once and a while.
grin2.gif

I like the W5Ax80, don't get me wrong. But all credit to the Germans? I would say it was at least as much the American Chrysler transmission engineers who took the German design and turned it into a much more reliable, affordable, and better all-around package. Its obvious that a lot of the features are derived from some hard lessons learned with the A-604 series transmissions (the 41TE and 42LE, dating back to 1989 and 1993, respectively). People spent the 90s bashing, often justifiably, on Chrysler's transmission reliability issues- but that's what happens when you're at the forefront of new technology development as Chrysler was at the time (too bad they're so far from the forefront these days...)

As for the other characteristics listed in G-man's post, let's see just how many of those actually were present in the Chrysler 41TE, the first mass-produced electronic automatic (yes, we all know that it had 5 years of teething problems, but I'm just talking about the features):

The shift schedule adapts to individual driving style, driving situation and road conditions, altering shift points based on an accelerator pedal usage, brake usage, lateral acceleration, altitude and load on the car as a result of grades.

OK, all of those characteristics were part of the very early Chrysler electronic transmissions. Definitely in place by 1994 were 1) adaptive shift points and shift firmness based on accumulated measurements of the driver's control inputs, 2) grade management in cruise control (dropping to 3rd gear on long downhills so that the speed wouldn't drift far above the set-point), 3) Torque management during WOT upshifts- fuel was cut to alternate cylinders during upshifts to limit the torque dissipated in the clutches (note: this pre-dated electronic throttle control and was the only method available when the driver's foot is hard-cabled to the throttle plates... see below)

Electronically controlled engine torque management provides quick wide-open-throttle up shifts and quick two-step (4-2 or 3-1) kick-down shifts that are exceptionally smooth.

This level of torque management is a truly revolutionary feature, but its not unique to the W5A. I don't actually know who did it first- GM may have beat both Chrysler and Benz to the punch. When the computer actually controls the THROTTLE BLADES, upshifts can be glass-smooth without dumping tons of heat into slipping clutch packs. Virtually all automatics on the road today have this feature. It actually went a LONG way to eliminating many mechanical failures that 90s transmissions saw because components were made lighter and lighter to improve efficiency, but still had to absorb the abuse of full-throttle upshifts from time to time. Or as a co-worker likes to say, "you CAN fix hardware weaknesses with software sometimes..."

Torque converter clutch slippage is electronically modulated and provides for partial engagement in Third, Fourth or Fifth gears. This results in improved shift feel, fuel economy, driveability and cooling. It can be used at lower speeds to provide benefits over a broad speed range. The system disengages as required to provide optimal performance.

Again, this goes all the way back to 1989, or at least to 1993, straight from the FSM for my wife's 1993 LH car. The torque convertor clutch began partial locking in 2nd gear, with progressively more lockup in 3rd to full lockup in 4th. This is ALSO what gave rise to ATF+3, because Dexron would cause TCC shudder during partial lockup operation.

nice car. my parents had a '99 M for awhile, until he got well over 100K and was getting worried. they actually DID have transmission problems; had it rebuilt around 80K IIRC. they live in a hilly, short drive kind of area, lots of shifting. I installed slotted rotors and hawk pads on it for them, plenty of braking power.
I read somewhere that the 300M trans was a real power sucker, using like 85hp. regardless, I thought it was a nice car, couldn't get why they wanted to trade it in(my Dad was hot on the Pacifica; then, gas prices shot up, now they have a civic hybrid!)

Speaking of lights in a dash, my all-time favorite, 1962 crysler saratoga and windsor that my father had .

Originally Posted By: hemitom
Speaking of lights in a dash, my all-time favorite, 1962 crysler saratoga and windsor that my father had .

Used from 1960 to 62 on Chrysler sedans, this was the first use of electroluminescent instruments in a car. Not seen again until Lexus brought out the first LS400 in 1989, now used by virtually everyone in one model or another. The fully illuminated gauges on my 300M and on my new 300 are actually of the same electroluminescent type as used by Chrysler from 60 to 62, but on those instruments it was the individual numbers and characters that were of the luminescent material rather than the gauge backgrounds.

On the transmission: There is no question that the 42LE and its antecedents were cutting edge technology. I was not trying to say that the W5A580 is more advanced from a technological standpoint. But after having lived with a 42LE for the last 7 years I can say unequivocally that the W5A580 is a smoother, more refined transmission than my 42LE was. Plus its nice to pull up to a stop and not hear any solenoid packs buzzing and clicking as the transmission downshifts.
56.gif

Just checked my gas mileage. Had to do it the old fashioned way, since this 300 doesn't have the onboard mpg computer like my 300M did. On this tank I had about 70% Interstate and 30% around town and got 24.8 mpg, which is about what I would have gotten on my 300M, so I'm pleased.

Just ran across these photos of mid 50s Chrysler concept cars done by Ghia in Italy. Take a look at the grills and it's easy to see where the stylists responsible for the LX body 300s got their inspiration.

1953%20Chrysler%20D%27Elegance.jpg

1955ChryslerFalcon.jpg

300T.jpg

One of the women who works for me has a 300.
The interior is rather spartan, like our Subaru, but the car is really roomy and does have a great look to it.
I have driven it and while it is not really my kind of car, it is a really nice car.
I could see owning one myself, something I dont say about very many cars.
Congrats on your new ride!

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
One of the women who works for me has a 300.
The interior is rather spartan, like our Subaru, but the car is really roomy and does have a great look to it.
I have driven it and while it is not really my kind of car, it is a really nice car.
I could see owning one myself, something I dont say about very many cars.
Congrats on your new ride!

Thanks. What you are calling "spartan" I call "elegant simplicity." I think we've gotten so used to seeing miles of fake wood covering every interior surface of American cars that getting in a 300 can come as a bit of a shock. Once you spend some time in a 300 the quality of the materials used for the surfaces becomes evident. And I applaud Chrysler for resisting the urge to use fake wood.

interior.jpg

I don't really like Chrysler products, but when the 300 came out I liked how it looked.

Will you be blinging it out with a knock off Rolls grill and some extra large chrome wheels?

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
I don't really like Chrysler products, but when the 300 came out I liked how it looked.

Will you be blinging it out with a knock off Rolls grill and some extra large chrome wheels?

Of course. It's in the shop now having the Lambo doors put on. In a month it should look like this:

stinger18la.jpg

Haw. Gawd what some people do to their cars.

I have owned a 300C SRT8 since August of 05, at about 50k miles now.

Truly a wonderful car, very luxurious with a performance envelope that equals my last C5!

Other than short rear tire life absolutely no complaints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back