advice on synthetic use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

this isnt a should I shouldnt I thing, I wouldnt do that to you!!

Just wondering, The local parts place I try to support, carries Mobil 1, castrol syntec, and Quaker state Q synthetic oils.

I'm thinking about running synthetic in my wifes Mazda 3 since she runs short trips and will be doing so in the middle of ontario winter! Mobil 1 is REALLY expensive because they only have 5w20 in 1 litre bottles. the other two options are syntec and Q.

I dont know much about the quaker state synthetics, is Syntec really that bad? She wont put on many k's, so id be runnign the oil for 6 months and changing it out. any thoughts?

Thanks.

Ryan

As someone who lives up here and knows all about Peterborough winters... I would buy the M1 and run it for the full year or up to 10K KM's It will be more than fine and you will have exceptional protection. (No need to change out at 6mos unless you are over 10K KM of short trips, because it's a waste!)

$42 at Walmart is not expensive for a jug of M1, use a quality filter like a Wix, or an OEM

Do the oil change sometime in late October or early November before the snow and really cold temps and so that you have the fresh oil/filter in there for the harsh winter season.
thumbsup2.gif

P.s. Those engines are very very easy on oil so you can sleep easy with 10K KM / once a year OCI's in an engine that is run very short periods of time!

Originally Posted By: StevieC
As someone who lives up here and knows all about Peterborough winters... I would buy the M1 and run it for the full year or up to 10K KM's It will be more than fine and you will have exceptional protection. (No need to change out at 6mos unless you are over 10K KM of short trips, because it's a waste!)

$42 at Walmart is not expensive for a jug of M1, use a quality filter like a Wix, or an OEM

Do the oil change sometime in late October or early November before the snow and really cold temps and so that you have the fresh oil/filter in there for the harsh winter season.
thumbsup2.gif

P.s. Those engines are very very easy on oil so you can sleep easy with 10K KM / once a year OCI's in an engine that is run very short periods of time!

X2 to what he said.

OK I have a mazda 3. I ran the Mobil 1 in a 5-20. My engine was louder driving with that stuff. NOW I'm in no way saying it didn't offer great protection. I'm sure it did. The engine was just a little louder. I tend to experiment with different oils in my "3". So if you do go with mobil 1 (an excellent oil) don't get concerned if the engine seems a little louder.

Originally Posted By: StevieC

thumbsup2.gif

Wow.. its only $22.00 for a jug at my wal-mart

Almost seems like a bunch of crooks at work charging $42 for a 5L jug of M1. Don't forget GST, PST, environmental fee, waste disposal fee, etc. Almost look at $50 OTD.

I am jealous of my American friends for being able to buy oil so cheap. At $22 a jug, even after the exchange rate difference, seems like a real steal!

On a side note, do any of the Wal-Marts or Pep Boys in the US sell PP 5W-20 in the large jugs? Gonna drive down for a week and am looking forward to stocking up on brand name oil for a good price.

In that climate, definately M1 0w-20, especially with the short trips. It will get to the nooks and crannies quicker...
LOL.gif

Seriously though, M1 0w-20. I ran it in my TL when working in Tahoe in the winter and it turned over in the morning as if it were 70 degrees outside.

Thanks guys. Hey some locals on here. Thats awesome!

I might just do that. I'd forgotten walmart has m1 5w20 in the jugs.......dammit walmart wins again.

Ryan

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Dude, drive up to Walmart on Chemong and grab the M1 5w20 in a 5L jug.
Chemong? Is that in PB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back