advice on a 95 dodge ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I'm looking at buying my grandpas old dodge truck. He's been gone for 5 yrs my uncle got the truck for nothing not what my grandfather wanted but it happend none the less. When he got the truck it was in almost perfect condition now it needs a power steering pump it is noisy alt fuse battery and stereo fixed. It was well taken care of until my uncle got it he didn't treat it bad but didn't really maintenance it either. It's been sitting a year and a half. With very few starts. Last time it was started by me 5 months ago. It still sounded good. It is a 360 v8 auto push button o/d 2wd can anyone give me any insight on things that are common problems ? How goods the Tranny and the engine In general? Any and all help is appreciated . Thanks all

The Magnum 5.9 is good. As good or better than any other cast iron OHV V8 from that year model IMO. Gas mileage is pitiful but it is bigger than the GM 350 or Ford 351.

The transmission...
21.gif
meh, not so much. The AOD-E had problems, the 4L60E puked out pressure switch manifolds among other problems and unfortunately, the A518 was probably the shortest lived among the 3. Frustrating because it's not too far removed from the reliable A727 with an overdrive.

Ram suspensions from that period tend to be quite noisy too. Creaks and squeaks.

Is that the only transmission they had in them ? I know it hasn't ever had a Tranny problem knock on wood . It has around 170k on it.

The 518 was the trans, it depends on how the tranny was used and if it was serviced as to how long it lasts. If it has good looking fluid, I would change it with a fresh fill of +4 A friend just picked up a Jeep Grand Cherokee with 160K on it. The fluid looks like it was never changed and the tranny died. On the plus side, the motor will run 300k no problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back