Advice on a 0W-40 Synthetic with ZDDP year round

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am reading faithfuly in the searchs but am looking for straight simple advice. I just bought an 06 Jeep Wrangler with the 4.0l I6. I want to upgrade to a single oil for all my vehicles for Canada. Older Toyota Pickup 22RE I4 and volvo 240 B23 I4. I am planning large volume high filtration filters (Purolator Pureone) and 5000 mile intervals.

What 0W40 syn would you recommend with the proper amounts of ZDDP. Bulk oils like mixed fleet stuff is fine. I feel 40 weight hot is ok for my engines and 0W is needed for 4-5 months per year, real cold starts are often required by me (block heater assist not available all the time).

In Calgary 5W-40 would probably do just as well as 0W-40, I would actually lean more towards XD-3 Extra 0W-30.

It has a HT/HS of 3.7 which is the minimum for heavy duty diesels (comparable to 15W-40), it's relatively inexpensive (you can pick it up as Polar Plus at UFA for $26 in five litre jugs), it basically is a 40 weight (barely in the 30 grade) but a PAO based synthetic with a very very stout (13 TBN, 1500 ppm ZDDP) additive package.

Basically everything you are looking for in spades, and the price is right at a little over $5 a litre.

XD-3 0W40 is the probably the best price/performance product for your ambient temp's. The XD-3 0W30 might also be a good choice. I realise Jeeps like a solid 40Wt. but like MGregoir stated the XD-3 0w30 is a fairly thick 30Wt. so it might wrk well as well! After those I am a huge fan of M1 0W40 but I can only imagine what it cost in Canada. It is not as thick as XD-3 0W40 but has a great additive package and is proven to have great TBN retension and can really go a long time betwee oil changes!I know it would work great in everything you mention although something thicker would be better for the Jeep!I only worry about consumption in the Jeep!

Mobil 1 0W-40 is about $9 a litre, same as German Castrol.

I would start at going to your local Esso bulk station, buying a 20 litre pail of XD-3 0W-30, and trying it in everything, then working from there.

I like the idea of Esso XD3 in pails. I grew up buying bulk fluids and now do the box store thing until I recently read about the downgraded additive package for over the counter oil sales. Do I need to worry about too much detergent or any funky additives in the XD3? Anyone know where I can order Purolator Pureone's in Canada?

I was sceptical of synthetic oil performance until recently. My Toyota 22RE is a 94 with a full history of synthetic oil, Mobil 10-30, and 5000km intervals. I've got about 3000 km on the 200,000 km engine and pulled the valve cover to check the clearances, it was in new condition! Cam lobes, valve stems and guides, rocker play all like new! Decided synthetics for me from now on.

The only concern is severe consumption may foul catalytic converters, but otherwise you are free and clear.

Over the counter oils blow everything previous to SL out of the water except in one particular situation, which is high pressure valve springs and high ramp angle flat tappet cams, especially at break-in. That's really the only part of the SM oils that have been a downfall, their oxidative and shear stability as well as the strength of the additive packages using new additives such as moly, borate esters and others, have made almost any off the shelf conventional a 5,000 mile oil with good wear characteristics and fuel effeciency.

I run 0w30 in my Jeep (05 Rubicon) and it loves it! You don't need a 40 grade oil for that motor as long as the 0W30 has a decent ad pack with sufficient boundary lubrication your good to go...heck I was toying around with the idea of trying a 0W20.

Mobil 1 0w40 would work fine. I've had good use down to -20F and find the battery to be the weaker link in cold starts. I have no clue what you're trying to find for ZDDP. I had to look it up to figure out what the heck you're talking about, lol. Anywho found a link in another thread:
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf
I'm not sure how much you actually need, but I assume most anything will work. Being in Canada, you may have no real need for a 40 "hot" weight unless the engine's worn and you find the higher viscosity limits loss. You may want to try a 0w30 and a 0w40 and see if they vary any long term.

You might also want to look at Amsoil. Their oils have a lower cold cranking viscosity (-35C) around 5000-6000 versus Mobil 1 at over 20,000. I haven't really had any issue cold starting with the Mobil 1 0 weights, but Amsoil's numbers are lower on the cold end. How much it's worth? I don't know. I still think the battery will die on you first. Amsoil's gear oil also works really well in the cold, and for a big awd Jeep drivetrain, it may be rather useful.

Last edited:
Any Bumper-to-Bumper/Auto Parts Plus/UniSelect can order you a PureONE but be prepared to pay $12-$15 for the filter.

Just run a Wix.

Went to my oil supply in the shop and found 2 5L jugs of XD-3 0W-40. Will use it for my first change this weekend and see how it performs. My Jeep is an oilfield sales truck and sees lots of legal speed highway time and backroads. The engine is tight but it is still a 40 year old OHV design. Hardly a 6000 rpm 24 valve screamer with cooresponding tight tolerances.

I think the XD-3 product line is only synthetic in the 0W-30 or 40 weights. I remember getting this oil for a test in a company truck because a friend uses it year round and is real happy. It appears from the specs that the 0W part moves the hot vis closer to 30 weight, am I right?

The 0W-40 is a heavy 40, up with most HDEOs unlike say, Mobil 1 0W-40 which immediately shears into the 30s.

The 0W-30 is a heavy 30, which is almost a 40 and is of comparable HT/HS viscosity to the HDEO standards that are normally met with a 15W-40 grade of oil.

After 1000 km, the stuff is heavier than most 10W-40s.

It does what it does with some extremely high viscosity index base fluids and high quality VIIs. The stuff is some sort of alien goo that happens to make good motor oil.

Last edited:
woud agree that XD-3 in either 0W30 or 0W40 is the ayto start. I wold not use an expensive filter like the Pure-One either!!! A regular Purolator willwork fine. A Denso filte bought is bulk is a gooddeal normaly. Donaldson,Baldwin and Hastings make gret oil filters at a better price point then Pure-One. I run Puralator filters that are store branded for AdanedAuto Parts and I also use Chapion Labs filters from AutZOne Brand to Walmart Band and everything in between since champion makes lots of brands. I have not had aproblemwith any of the ceap filters and UOA was no better with $10 filters. You just want a ecent filter design wth decent media and good quality control thePure-Onesare too restrictivebecause of alhe media being packed in so tghtly in the can. Tey go into bypss more often espcialywhen cold so if you havecold temps. or make lots of sort trips allthat extra media is going to be working against you. Always bias you ful flow oil filters towards flow n if you think you needmor filtration then get a bypass filtration setup to hanle thefine filtration with out afecting the full flow filtration!

Alien Goo, I'm sold and I think I am a bit hooked on this oil research! Will study up on the codes and acronyms and get educated, one more tech question. What is PAO base stock?

I will use the XD-3 in my Jeep and family cars. I will however switch to 0W-30 weight in the Jeep. I will use up the 0W-40 in my older vehicles with a little more wear tolerances.

I was planning a larger compatible filter to overcome the reduced flow. I like the idea of superior particulate removal. My thinking is that when the filter bypasses the cleaner oil will be better.

I would recommend that you consider Petro-Canada Duron 5W-40 synthetic for your application.

It should be about $5.50/liter at your local distributor.

Unlike the Esso XD, it actually holds various API ratings(if that is important to you).

Go to the U.O.A's section and type in Esso XD-3 and Jeep and you'll see my run on this 0w-40 syn.I get great numbers on both my 4.0's with the XD-3 0W-40.Thats all I use!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back