Advice needed on car smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Ok, I will try this process as well. Is there a special type of funnel that I can buy to pour the MMO into the spark plug hole?

use a tranny funnel.
i think the MMO trick will work.

Quote:

Ok, I will try this process as well. Is there a special type of funnel that I can buy to pour the MMO into the spark plug hole?

A gear oil bottle with that little tip on the end might do the trick. I've cut the bottle in half and used it as a funnel many times. Also, since the tip is tapered, you can shove a piece of rubber tubing on the end to really reach tight places.

If it does turn out to be valve seals.

Rock auto sells a reman cylinder head for about $530 with your core.

If lots of oil is getting into the CC it can come from two places: past the rings or past the valve guides (PCV and head gasket excepted). A basic compression test would give an indication of the condition of the rings (and head gasket and valve seats). So before you search out an engine rebuild in a bottle, you could perform some basic diagnosis, like a compression check and UOA (to see fuel blow-by). But also remember that it's not easy to fix a car online.

Quote:

R Don't even waste money playing around with MMO and other weak slow cleaners.

You haven't used GM Top Engine Cleaner, have ya boy?
laugh.gif

Quote:

If lots of oil is getting into the CC it can come from two places: past the rings or past the valve guides (PCV and head gasket excepted). A basic compression test would give an indication of the condition of the rings (and head gasket and valve seats). So before you search out an engine rebuild in a bottle, you could perform some basic diagnosis, like a compression check and UOA (to see fuel blow-by). But also remember that it's not easy to fix a car online.

Agreed. The FIRST thing I would have done is a compression and leak-down test.

Regarding the cylinder soakdown, how much should I dose each cylinder with? Also, should I get an oil change before or after I do the soakdown?

If the engine cannot be salvaged, I'll simply swap in a new engine. For the Honda saavy, most likely an H22a.

Judging by the quantity of oil you're losing out the tailpipe, you are going to need some kind of rebuild, whether it's just the head or rings and everything that goes with it. A fresher used or rebuilt engine seems like a decent solution (although I wonder about the economy of a hopped-up engine in an older car). But as an exercise in auto repair, you should still properly diagnose your problem. Then you'll be armed with this knowledge for next time.

I would do a piston soak with seafoam or B-12 or LC, then see what happens from there. Let it soak good, and see what happens. Look for instructions on a piston soak or molasoke/molasoak on the board.

I have a feeling all the piston soaks, Auto RX, etc. aren't going to do you any good. Sounds to me like you have a broken ring(s). The biggest indicator is that only one spark plug is fouling.

Update:

I've just replaced the oil with 50/50 dino/MMO. I've also done the piston soak with MMO. Stay tuned for results..

This morning I cranked the car to get the excess oil out. When I reconnected the plugs and wires and attempted to start the car, it cranks but does not start now. Have I put too much MMO in the car? How do I get the car running again?

I left a step out that may be causing you trouble: When you cranked it with the plugs out, did you disable the fuel pump in some manner? You can usually pull a fuse or relay. If not, it was shooting raw gas into the cylinders. If you're SURE you have the plug wires on the right plugs (triple check, and then look one more time!), the get some starting fluid (auto parts store, in an aerosol can) and open the throttle body and squirt just a little in there. You may have had some excess MMO still in the cylinder, which kinda sucks because that means it didn't soak its way past the rings. Let us know what happens.

Ok, I put the wrong wire on one of the plugs. Got it up and running now, and so far no noticeable difference in smoke output. The car still smoked pretty heavily when I started it up. Will check my oil level in a couple of days to see if the burning is still as bad.

With all of that MMO in there, it SHOULD smoke on startup, no matter the condition of the engine. If you're intent on saving it, be prepared to do the soak and 50/50 oil/MMO thing several times, and changing the oil several times in a row. It'll be a process, not an overnight thing.

Unless your the one doing all the labor ( and sounds doubtful if you didn't do your own compression check) it's cheaper to do the top end and rings in place on a 4 cylinder honda motor than to pull the old motor for a jdm honda motor.

I'd be pulling the valve cover and or sump cover to evaluate how sludged this engine is as it sounds like the oil was never changed or the past owner just added oil rather than ever doing an OCI. That really is the bad maintenance practice of the previous owner that your are now trying to mitigate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back