Advice needed: A good first handgun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill,, having any trouble sleeping after that bit of thievery??
grin2.gif

Bob

Originally Posted By: alreadygone
Bill,, having any trouble sleeping after that bit of thievery??
grin2.gif

Bob
ummm... No.
LOL.gif

The finish does not show up on the photos well but there is some nicks / wear in the bluing. I'd say its a honest 85% (or 98% if you use gunbroker.com for the reference)

I figure the gun is prob worth $500. It would be worth more if it had the target trigger / hammer. Came with the stock grips in excellent condition. I like the Hogue grips so I spent the $14 for those.

It is 18 degrees outside but I'm going to go out and shoot a few cylinders worth just to see it plays.

Take care, bill

Has the wife tried different weapons, or is her preference based upon impressions ? Even a short barrel 12ga can be cumbersome for some but Remington makes a 20 ga pump in a youth model, with a shorter stock and barrel. I've seen new ones for $225 on sale. Federal makes something like #3 buck loads in 20 ga, which would be a good candidate.

Whether you get a shotgun or handgun, revolver that fits her hand recommended for a handgun (S&W has better finishing / fewer sharp edges than something like a Ruger), I'd also recommend a laser sight of at least a flashlight set up so that shots impact center beam. Some time at the range can sort some this out, where you'll find that the shotgun with flahslight / laser is most effective, then handgun with flashlight / laser, then shotgun open sight, then handgun open sights. I've seen people empty two high capacity magazines from a 9mm pistol at a 25 yd station, miss all shots and have to move on during practical shoots, while even my kids can hit things with the shotgun.

Funny thing is I tried to convince my Wife to have a revolver as her first firearm. Since they're small, lightweight, and available in multiple calibers. But instead she went with the Baby Desert Eagle II.

Gun Shows are a complete waste from what I saw when I went two sundays ago. Granted someone did have nice prices on the FNH 5.7 handgun, everything jacked way up. .45+ a round for factory .223 ammo. I won't touch reloaded stuff from people I don't know. One guy told me he doesn't gouge, but he wanted $25 for each 30rd lancer AR mag. Bahh with him. Just bought 7 Black Windowed Pmags for $17.50 each. Ammo wise You will not beat Wal-mart's prices on plinking ammo :)

Gander Mountain wants $1100 for their AR variant. I purchased my stag for that much with 5 magazines, a cleaning kit, case, etc. But I do have to wait like 8 weeks for it (wanted left hand model anyways)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Buffman
Funny thing is I tried to convince my Wife to have a revolver as her first firearm. Since they're small, lightweight, and available in multiple calibers. But instead she went with the Baby Desert Eagle II.

Gun Shows are a complete waste from what I saw when I went two sundays ago. Granted someone did have nice prices on the FNH 5.7 handgun, everything jacked way up. .45+ a round for factory .223 ammo. I won't touch reloaded stuff from people I don't know. One guy told me he doesn't gouge, but he wanted $25 for each 30rd lancer AR mag. Bahh with him. Just bought 7 Black Windowed Pmags for $17.50 each. Ammo wise You will not beat Wal-mart's prices on plinking ammo :)

Gander Mountain wants $1100 for their AR variant. I purchased my stag for that much with 5 magazines, a cleaning kit, case, etc. But I do have to wait like 8 weeks for it (wanted left hand model anyways)

Do the vendors adorn their booths with Nazi flags and stuff at gun shows in Michigan like they do in Indiana (at least the ones I have been to)?

Lots of good advice so far. Handle as many pistols/revolvers as you can to get a "feel". It may not be as practical as actually shooting one, and shooting one first may be best, before you invest any money. A .22 will be the cheapest way to go if the gun is shot very much.

I don't think I saw a Single Nazi flag there. I've seen someone local flying a confederate flag outside of there home :O

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: Tempest
Quote:
He had some cheaper brand made in the USA for under $200.

That is scary. Unless it is a quality used piece, don' buy it. Not a quality gun for that price if new.

Stick with Ruger or S&W. New S&W's have the dreaded trigger lock so I'g go with a 4" GP100 Ruger .357.

Getting a .22 for practice and plinking is also a great idea.

The trigger lock, while I don't like them either, is very nice on the Smith&Wessons and Taurus revolvers. Just turn a key and its locked - no need for a cumbersome seperate trigger lock that takes 5 minutes to install/take off. If you don't like the built in system - don't use it that's all.

I agree, but I don't like parts on a gun that don't have to be there. There have been a few reports of them locking up due to the new lock as well.

Bill, NICE find on that 8" 27. A friend of the family has one that is very sweet. My father has a 6" 28 that is very fun to shoot.

You know, that is a good point. I had not heard of any locking up, but I'm sure it's possible. Guess that mechanism sort of ouotweighs the revolver's natural ability to always be ready to shoot!

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
http://ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=5757&return=Y

If you wanted to dish out the $$$, this would be the last gun you'd ever have to buy. Laser sights, very compact, and the SP101 can handle ammunition that would break other guns. You could fire 20,000 rounds of ammunition loaded to 800 ft. lbs. and it'll take it like it's nothing. I love these little gems.

Nice gun. I had one and got rid of it. Too heavy for pocket carry and too small for target practice.
21.gif

Also most of these grips with the laser sights are only for right handed folks. (guess who is left handed)
smirk2.gif

I ended up with a S&W J frame and shoot .38sp+P out of it. We had a shooting where a guy took a reg .38sp out of a j frame in the chest from 10 feet and gone he was. A 12oz gun in the pocket is a nice carry weapon for those hot days.

You are correct about the SP101 being strong. Ruger builds all of their revolver line strong.
01.gif

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Dam you Americans and your 2" snubs!
frown.gif

(Shortest barrel we can own up here is something like 4 1/4".)

I just googled those up, both seem like nice guns!

Here you go!
cheers3.gif
(My daily CCW)

Notice the weight... 1lb 1.2 oz loaded!
grin2.gif

1 7/8inch barrel. 38+p

A little over 17 oz ready to go and 12oz empty.

I like the 638 as it does have a hammer for single action but does not catch anything as it comes out of the pocket.

The pocket holster is to the right of the scale.

This or my 11 round .40 S&W is with me all the time.

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Been thinking of getting a gun lately. The last time I went shooting was on my wedding day. There's a gun show locally this weekend, I went 1st thing this morning but the line was far too long to wait in as my back would be paying the price if I stood there for a long time...I'll go back later today or tomorrow.

What's a good gun for home defense and for fun shooting at the range? I went to a couple sporting goods stores where they only carry shotguns (is that a law in TN?), the wife doesn't want a shotgun, only a handgun.

Newbie should start with a revolver simple and fool proof get at 357 mag and then can shoot cheap easy recoil 38 special.
and practice 38's are fine for that

then when bug bites get a real pistol a 1911 45 ACP

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn

One of his assistants mentioned about ammo costs, that the 9mm ammo is cheaper than 22 or 45 (he didn't mention 38's). Does this sound true to you all?

Absolutely. Especially for large lots of practice ammo.

A 9mm semi automatic in all honesty is another great option.

22 rimfire will be the cheapest to shoot.(550 bulk bullets $14-$17, $5.50/50 for stingers/quickshoks/velocitors). Bulk 45 will be slightly more than 9mm $300/1000 rounds vs $300/1200 rounds, probably due to more lead/copper.

.357 $400/1200 rounds bulk.. 38 special $350/1200 rounds

Premium self defense ammo is expensive. $1-$2 per round., Glasers/Magsafes $3/round

The cheaper ammo doesn't use brass cases which can be reloaded. Mostly aluminum cases.

The military uses 9 mm, the local police most likely .40 S&W.

I actually prefer the 40 cal Glock model 22 for carry. For home use virtually any handgun you can shoot accurately and confidently will suffice. A well placed 22 beats a 45 miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back