Advice for 2009 Ford Mustang GT (UOA Inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ThatGuyOverThere

Since my drives are mostly short, my oil probably doesn't reach full operating temperature very often so therefore, the 0w20 (instead of the 5w20) will be thinner when cold so I would get better protection. Is that correct?

Correct--the 0W20 will both be closer to the ideal viscosity, and it will reach the proper viscosity more quickly. I don't want to overstate the difference in wear, it'll be small, but since you're asking about what's 'best', this would be it.

Redline 0W20 has a HTHS of 2.7 -- Which falls right into the same range as the Motorcraft stuff. However, Redline recommends their 5w20 for the Ford WSS-M2C945-A certification, which has an HTHS of 3.3

Whether the Amsoil @ 2.8 or RL @ 2.7, that's what I'd use for the winter. 3.3 is too far over the spec to be ideal for your driving conditions.

Should my oil use change when the weather changes? We get rather hot and humid summers around here.

If you're changing the oil anyway, you could certainly consider it, though it would be nice to pull oil temps and pressure to see if it's really necessary or beneficial. But if you're using RL, I'd probably stay with the 0W20 and mix in 1 qt of 5W20 and start there versus going with the straight 5W20 (which is basically a mid-high 30W).

Also, I notice that a lot of VOA's for redline show a ton of Moly but the TBN's come out low compared to stuff like Amsoil or even Pennzoil Platinum. Is this what I want if I have a lead foot and am a rev-happy driver? Not looking to do extended OCI but is a TBN of about 9 good enough to last 5000 miles?

It has plenty of additive for 5K with your driving habits. While it's not a "long drain" oil (or at least it's not marketed that way), several folks on here have used it for extended drains. 5K in your situation would be easy. And keep in mind that higher TBN isn't necessarily "better" in use--it just potentially makes the oil more suitable for longer drains. Also, TBN of 9 is still pretty high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back