Advice for 1st gun for newbie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok guys,
i am thinking of owning a gun (pistol) for the 1st time.
Never owned, and never learned to shoot.
Purpose will be just my own safety.

What would be a good, dependable starter gun for me, which is not too $$$ and easy to shoot, yet effective, and can be used also by wifey if needed?

I am not a big guy really, but have strong fingers and hands for my size I think.

any info/feedback and tips are very welcome.
PS: oh, I like German things. so a German make would be an added bonus, if it fits other criteria i mentioned above.

I'd for sure go with a 9mm. Cheap to shoot, +p defense ammunition is effective, and less recoil then other rounds.

A really good starter gun, and I in fact own one, would be a Ruger P95. Down right cheap compared to other pistols, but built very solid with a solid reputation of reliability and performance. Plus, it has either a manual safety or a decocker.

Others may disagree, but for a first gun, and especially for your wife, I'd want a gun with a manual safety and not a double action only style gun like a glock.

My $.02

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I'd want a gun with a manual safety and not a double action only style gun like a glock.

My $.02

While I fully understand your logic, and whatever works for a person is best for them.

But I personally think a Glock is the best gun period, starter or not.

I do not want to start a boring glock is great thread, but It physically can not fire the round unless you pull the trigger.

No gun is safe, no matter how many manual safetys are on it.
The sooner a new gun owner knows this, and is comfortable with this the better.
Keep you nose picking hook off the BOOM button and you have no worries.
grin2.gif

However, to each his own. Its just I always want to stress the quality and reliabilty a Glock offers to new gun owners. Theres a reason Glock is 77,000 firearms behind in production world wide. . . .

i am lucky to say that I do not feel the need a gun for protection, although i sometimes think i should,

I am considering a CZ .22 rifle for my first (not for protection purposes). I am the same as you in that i never learned to shoot so i don't know where to start.

when i move on i want a CZ .223 centrefire, possible later on followed by a remington .243 or .27.

just found out today that i will be having a 2nd son, so, i'll give the first .22 to my first boy then get the 2nd one another one when he is ready. (my eldest, a girl, may get that first .22 depending on her mother's attitude when it comes to it)

Last edited:
Crinkles,
there is no firearm ownership in Oz for self defence...unless you are the likes of the former K Packer Inc. aka goanna.

It's a great past-time, without the Self Defence issues.

If you want your wife to be able to use the gun in a life or death situation, I recommend getting a double-action only revolver like the Ruger SP101. You can shoot both .38 Special and .357 Magnum rounds in the SP101.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Crinkles,
there is no firearm ownership in Oz for self defence...unless you are the likes of the former K Packer Inc. aka goanna.

+1, and I'm glad there's no need for it either.

First time gun ownership and you don't own a .22 it should be your first purchase.

If you like Auto's the Ruger Mark II is a great gun. With a .22 you can get the fundamentals down, and put lots of lead downrange without a high expense. Especially these days.

For Self defense, I'm a revolver person, less to mess with in high stress situation. The Ruger SP101 is a great choice

Originally Posted By: crinkles
Crinkles,

Ewes jest tewe friendly d'nair

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Crinkles,

Ewes jest tewe friendly d'nair

11.gif

Strewth! blo.ody oath mate!

Taurus makes some good guns for the money.

I'm partial to the .45. Currently getting a Colt Gold Cup Trophy. I grew up shooting my dad's Colt Gold Cup National Match so this should feel familiar.

And for home defense, not much can top a shotgun with the shortest barrel allowed by law.

Found myself in the same situation after Katrina. Ruger SP101 in 3" barrel chambered in .38/.357 solved the hardware part of the equation. Have spent a good bit of time learning the software side since the purchase. Usual best advice is to try out a number of guns, get trained, and practice with the gun that you both feel is best. http://www.TheHighRoad.org is a good starting point for more information in this area. Good luck! One other thing, good luck trying to find ammunition for it.

Take a saftey course they are fun and a good idea . I agree with the Ruger SP101 or a S@W model 60 both with the 3 inch barrel. One of my friends used to be part owner of a gun shop "I would play employee there" and most women couldn't rack the slide on many of the autos.

Crinkles,

Call me when your bubble bursts.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: marshall25
Smith and Wesson Sigma 9mm, priced right, no frills, American made pistol.

An American made pistol that is a complete ripoff of an Austrian design.

Small revolver is a great first gun. I concur with the .38/.357. Revolvers are a great first gun because:
1. You can keep them loaded forever.
2. Misfire? Just pull the trigger again and a new round comes up. In a semi-auto, you have a jam.
3. They came in a variety of frame sizes to fit almost any hand.
4. You can easily carry a small revolver on your person, a purse or in your car.
5. They are fun to shoot!
6. You can get the "hammerless" version which is nice for concealed carry as it does not have an ezposed hammer to catch on clothing. Must be fired double action only.

Taurus, S&W and Ruger all make acceptable small revolvers as does Charter (lower qulaity and price).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: marshall25
Smith and Wesson Sigma 9mm, priced right, no frills, American made pistol.

I owned one. By far, the worst firearm I've ever owned. I was advised to leave it on my dashboard with a $5 bill under it. That way, if somebody stole it, we'd both come out ahead (they would get something of value, and I'd be ahead being rid if it).

I really hated the trigger - felt like a combination of rusty metal on metal, with the breaking wineglass feel. It really impeded accuracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back