Advantage of a drywall screw gun over a drill

Status
Not open for further replies.
For p/t drywall jobs now and then, I've been using a drill with an adjustable torque setting and a screw adapter from Harbor Freight, or others. It works fine. I can get a new corded DeWalt drywall screw gun for $35, is it worth it? What is the advantage of a drywall screw gun?

Speed is the major advantage. On occasion they are too aggressive and tear the drywall paper by sending the screw too deep messing things up. I've used them from time to time, when we installed new sheetrock ceilings. For typical popped nail repairs while painting, a cordless drill with the proper tip and a little care works well.

I used drywall sockets with my regular drill. Worked great.

DEWALT
Drywall Screw Setter (4-Pack)
Model # DW2014C4

Works on drywall, particle board and plywood
Constructed of shock-resistant steel for durability
Heat-treated to resist breakage and wear

I drywalled over all the ceilings in my home. Love plaster but on ceilings drywall does better. I got two Makita guns and they were great. Fully spooked up, press it in and off it goes. And you can set the depth so it runs them just right.

That was 10 years ago. Impact drivers existed but weren't as common.

These days, impact drivers are so controllable and powerful that unless I was doing a LOT of work or a pro, I'd likely just use that. Plain drywall straight into framing lumber is probably easier, but I was 2-2 1/2" screws through plaster and lathe into old lumber, and if not pushed hard enough, the screws would strip or the clutch wouldn't grab. Not always, it was easy to get the hang of it... but I think my modern brushless impact guns would do just as well.

Tried both...got a DeWalt drywall driver.

Get a drywall driver. We were amazed. Nobody had even tried one. All the guys who tried it realized the benefits of it.

As mentioned, they're faster.

They also break less screws. The impacting allows the screw to be driven with less torque.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back