Advance, Autozone, O'Reilly, NAPA - Your Favorite

I like Autozone and O'Reilly equally. They are side by side in several towns near me. If one doesn't have what I need the other generally does. I like AAP for its employees but the price is usually higher in my area. We really don't have many NAPAs but I liked them when we had them.

Had to go to Advance Auto tonight to get a starter for my truck. I didn’t want too but I have until Friday to get it off the street or they will have it towed. It was the only place with it in stock. The guy said they just got it in today. Their computer system was down company wide so they had to do everything off their website and all sales on paper. They weren’t too happy.
Isn't that what neutral is for? :ROFLMAO:

Sounds like a lot of people have pretty different NAPA stores than I have around here. The ones around here are all privately-owned (franchised ??) and definitely tailor to repair shops vs walk-in. One on my way to work has parking for maybe 8 vehicles and they have 3-4 delivery vehicles themselves but granted, they're usually out making runs. The inside is sparse, nothing like a typical Autozone, AAP, etc where you can browse the aisles. This has nothing to do with the quality of their parts, mind you...

Also, regarding some criticisms of the employees, I suspect they often hire non-mechanical types on purpose. They don't want their counter folks giving vehicle repair advice, suggesting what parts to replace, etc nor should they. When I was in college, I worked at an electrical supply house (like Graybar, which people may be familiar with) and to work the counter, we were specifically told "order/sell the parts they ask for, don't tell them what they need". You need a 20a, commercial-grade receptacle, I can get it. You want ivory, brown, white, etc ? You need to know what gauge wire to run 150' to your pole barn and want 100a service ? Sorry, I can give you a list of electricians who can take care of that for you.

4 of the 8 don’t run 😂. I don’t think a Camry or my other truck could pull it and the Escape will be gone since my dad will be working.
Well dang, if my old Ranger could tow a big Cadillac, I'm sure a Camry can pull it a few feet off the street.

Ford Ranger towing CTS.JPG

I do most parts and fluids purchases online but when I need a brick and mortar I go to one of several local AAP's. A couple of them have treated me well in the past. The others chains, not so much.

My favorite store used to be the last local independent parts place left and they were good because they were independent. For a b&m, reasonably priced. Not real old school, with an attached machine shop that used to be common, but good. The owners sold a few years ago and it became another NAPA just a few miles from an existing NAPA.

With NAPA, AZ, O'R online catalog, differing hours and parts selection and service it's hard to have a favorite but I still have a preference.

The NAPA in my city. After relocating their store to their distribution center parts are readily available and faster if you order online. Wide range of parts even down to the OE brand for German cars.

OReilly for late night battery replacements and a wide selection of detailing products.

CarQuest for general machine work and to chat with the cool dudes over the counter.

AZ just because there's a Jack in the Box across the street.

For me it's Rockauto first for everything unless I need it ASAP then I will go to Autozone. I rarely use O'Rielly or the others and NAPA closed up.

Mostly AZ … our Napa is tailored to mechanics and truckers.
Our O’R staff always ignore you as they are piddling around …
AZ staff are switched on - allows me to get in/out quickly …
(you actually see the manager all the time).

Both towns that are closest to me have an AA and AZ within a half mile of each other. (In one city they are just separated by the post office). Even with two parts stores side by side, they both have plenty of customers when I drive by. When I bring used oil back for collection, I'll alternate between the two. I'm guessing there is a market for all that used oil? Do they wind up selling it?

Both towns that are closest to me have an AA and AZ within a half mile of each other. (In one city they are just separated by the post office). Even with two parts stores side by side, they both have plenty of customers when I drive by. When I bring used oil back for collection, I'll alternate between the two. I'm guessing there is a market for all that used oil? Do they wind up selling it?
Most of it is used to fuel cargo ships.

Back