Advance, Autozone, O'Reilly, NAPA - Your Favorite

NAPA around here is full of weirdos that stare and old dudes with bad attitudes.

My goto is my local Federated Auto Parts. They're where almost all of the shops around me get parts. I really like their Federated brand oil filters and they're dirt dirt cheap. Used to get filters for my hyundai for less than $2. After that my local AAP and O'Reilly's are pretty good.

Oriely is the local company, headquarters on 60 ish miles away. Have some old coworkers retire there. Shop local.

Napa has best parts, bad location for me.

Rod

I try and make sure I’m never in such a hurry that I need a part the same day from an overpriced chain store selling mostly Chineseium parts at double the cost of online places even with some discount code. With that said, I did buy some Meguier’s paint coating and carwash last week from Advance because it was the cheapest overall, but that’s a rare event indeed.

Within 5 to 10 miles away I have Advance, AZ and NAPA plus WorldPac, Parts Authority, Delcoline and a dozen dealers, but except for fluids that I often get from Walmart, I usually buy parts from Rock Auto, Ebay, Amazon, FCP Euro, RM Automotive, AutoHaus AZ, etc.

... With that said, I did buy some Meguier’s paint coating and carwash last week from Advance because it was the cheapest overall, but that’s a rare event indeed....
I went to AA to buy some of that new Meguire's Ceramic Wash & Wax. Surprisingly, they either were out or did not carry. AZ had it with a $2.00 instant savings and a $5.00 rebate. It's a two part, system. Shampoo and a separate boost you mix.

I went to AA to buy some of that new Meguire's Ceramic Wash & Wax. Surprisingly, they either were out or did not carry. AZ had it with a $2.00 instant savings and a $5.00 rebate. It's a two part, system. Shampoo and a separate boost you mix.
Same price at Advance ordered online. Another reason I don't buy in store directly is it's a hassle to use my tax exempt with some of the clerks there.

Anywhere but Wal-Mart has crazy prices on oil in my area.

For parts I usually use AAP because with a 20% off coupon, they're usually close to online prices.

If I wanted the best part I could find, aside from OEM, I'd go to NAPA or O'Reilly. They 'seem' to have the best quality parts in most cases, although they both have some really shoddy lower-tier house brands.

This is all opinion based on years of anecdotal experience. :p

If NAPA was priced closer to the other big three, it’d be my go to for sure. Unfortunately, it’s also on the other side of town and south of the river. Our downtown was designed by a drunk guy on a blind donkey and is a pain to navigate for a Neanderthal such as myself.

AZ and O’Reilly seem pretty close price wise nowadays. Our O’Reilly will get you out faster if there’s a line whereas AZ has 1 checkout and makes you wait.

My go to place used to be AAP.
Pricing used to be good. On line discounts made purchasing there advantageous and attractive. Availability of parts was excellent, as they have a distribution facility in the city in which I reside.
Then the CQ purchase took place. Things started getting stupid locally.
Pricing went through the roof. Discounts more selective and less attractive.
For instance, Purchase of "Diehard" name resulted in substantial price increase to the point that the last battery I bought (Top of the line NAPA Legend) was almost $30 cheaper than AAP with a discount code.
Last time I walked in an AAP, the guy behind the counter was more interested in putting the moves on the female cashier then he was in doing his job (while I stood there and waited.)
Now I just go to NAPA. They have help that know their stuff. are more professional, and prices are comparable.

1. Advance Auto Parts. ( Coupon codes).
2. Auto Zone. ( closest to my house and frequent oil sales).
3. O'reilly. ( second closest to my house, wider variety of items on the floor like redline fuel treatment etc).
4. Napa. ( furthest from the house, usually go there if i can't find a certain part i need after checking the other 3).

NAPA. Edit: After posting I remembered I ordered 2 Fram filters and a gallon of Rotella T5 from Amazon today.

Last edited:
Like some have said, it depends on the specific part I need...HOWEVER, I use Advance Auto the most purely due to their readily available coupon/promo codes and SpeedPerks rewards program. I'd venture to say those coupon codes have saved me a couple thousand dollars over the years. Buy it online with a nice applied discount, then go pick it up. I am a Elite SpeedPerks member.

Advance used to have some pretty jam up discounts such as 40% off $150 purchase (great for batteries) but I guess they figured out people like me were abusing it...which I was...repeatedly, so they stopped a bunch of the ones I used.

I very rarely go into a parts store. Mostly the Auto Zone to drain used oil jugs. If I do go into a parts store, it's to buy something like some hose clamps or RTV when I'm in a pinch.

Otherwise, everything else is from Rock Auto and sometimes Amazon.

Autozone around here just has great staff. and the ones who aren’t knowledgeable will tell me straight up without trying make claims or a sale. Some of them I’m pretty sure also turned a wrench but for whatever reason decided that wasn’t the way to go for them. They’ve pulled tools out before to help me break seals loose, etc.. with stuff like that, I’ll give, and they understand, the occasional good tip. Maybe a local management philosophy? Both of their nearby stores here are good, helpful.

Had to go to Advance Auto tonight to get a starter for my truck. I didn’t want too but I have until Friday to get it off the street or they will have it towed. It was the only place with it in stock. The guy said they just got it in today. Their computer system was down company wide so they had to do everything off their website and all sales on paper. They weren’t too happy.

Reactions: 4WD
Back