Advance Auto selling Purolators with rubber grip can.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advance Auto is replacing their frams with their house brand "total grip" filters. They're basically a regular white-can purolator with a red textured coating. And they're like $.20 cheaper to boot. I'm definately going to be using them.

The one use (model 4967) is like a dollar cheaper then the regular purolator model.

quote:

Originally posted by Neonmike22:
Advance Auto is replacing their frams with their house brand "total grip" filters. They're basically a regular white-can purolator with a red textured coating. And they're like $.20 cheaper to boot. I'm definately going to be using them.

The Advance Total Grip filter I looked at (for 2003 Pathfinder) had manufactured by Allied Signal on the box. Doesn't that mean Fram?

Well, I didn't look at every single one, so that could be possible. My ph16 equivalent filter has the same end casing and stampings of the purolator on the shelf above it.

smile.gif
I have used the Total Grip PH-47 equivalent and it seemed to be a good filter.I cut it open after use and it had trapped a lot of gunk in it.It has metal end caps and the filter element and center tube seemed to be of a good construction with good element spacing.It was glued well and didn't have any deformities and there seemed to be a good amount of element.It seemed to be an all around good constructed filter.I also have a used Purolator(PF-47 equiv.)that is ready to cut open and be compared to the Total Grip.The Total Grip/Purolators do seem to have more holes in the center tube than the ST does.I am using the SuperTech at the moment and plan on cutting it open after the next oil change.Did the Total Grip in question say 'made' by Allied Signal or 'compare' to Allied Signal?
dunno.gif
The PF-47 equivalent says that it is made by Arvin(Purolator).
patriot.gif

I've used them and like them to but the AA2 that I use (Motorcraft FL-820S equivalent) has a canister that is paper thin. Not too big of a deal but I don't care for a canister that I can easily dent with my finger. The FL820-S canister is much sturdier.

I just picked up a fleet pack of Wix filters (12 pack bulk with the filters sealed in plastic film) so I'm all set for a while with my FOMOCO cars.

I also bought a AA2 and cut it open and it was a piece of junk. The end caps were about as sturdy as aluminum foil, the assembly quality was something to be ashamed of, and the canister seemed to be about .012" thick.

I'll pay the extra money and buy a motorcraft and leave the pretty red Advance filters on the shelf where they can do no harm to my engine.

rolleyes.gif
People,people,we keep hearing about thin filter canisters.The can part is plenty strong enough unless you are driving a funny car.Also,the Motorcraft filters are made by Purolator.I seriously doubt that any one of us has ever blown apart a filter canister in normal use.If a filter canister has blown it was more than likely a motor defect and not a filter defect.All filter components must meet manufacturers warranties.I agree that some of the inner components like the elements can be less than desirable(FRAM) but I have yet to see a metal end cap that is as thin as aluminum foil.Is this possible?maybe,I haven't seen one and would like proof that there is such.I think some on the board get a little carried away in describing what they call junk.As I said,there are some internals of a filter(FRAM) that are not desirable but are they junk? I have used FRAM in the past many times,now I use Purolator,TotalGrip and SuperTechs.Occasionally I use ACDelco.I used to drive a car,that while I owned it had 90% Fram oil filters and when I stopped driving it,it had 169,000 plus miles on it,no engine work at all was ever done to it.Would I use FRAM again?,if the filter inlet holes were larger I might.Am I going to worry myself over a thin canister? not really because I don't think it is that much of a deal.My car has a normal oil pressure of 60-63 psi at 1000 rpm and I have never had a filter canister problem.When I buy a filter,I do try to get what I think is a good quality filter but almost any filter will get descent results.A FRAM filter may be the lowest of the bunch but if you don't go over 3,000 miles before an oil change or do high speed driving it would most likely be ok.Most of the filter discussions are opinions and that is fine.What is bad is when someone calls a filter junk without any proof of such.
smile.gif

In the part of KY that I live,the TotalGrip filter to fit a 2003 Pathfinder says 'Compare to FRAM' on the box,it says nothing about being made by FRAM or Allied Signal.FRAM is actually a part of Honeywell Corporation now,it isnt Allied Signal anymore.The Pathfinder TotalGrip filter looks the same as the Purolator,same base plate design on both.While it may be possible
dunno.gif
,I doubt that Advance would contract 2 companies to make their house brand oil filters.All that I have seen are made by Purolator.
patriot.gif

quote:

The Advance Total Grip filter I looked at (for 2003 Pathfinder) had manufactured by Allied Signal on the box. Doesn't that mean Fram?

Reading directly from the box. Part # AA3387A

On the bottom front: "Compare to Fram*"

Turn box 90 degrees clockwise and find that asterisk: "*This product is not manufactured or distributed by Honeywell International Inc., owner of the registered trademark Fram."

Neither the words "Allied" nor "Signal" appear on the box.

My chain feels a tad yanked.
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by turbochem:
My chain feels a tad yanked.
lol.gif

LOL....no yankin' on my part I can assure you. Not ont he first date anyway LOL.

Seriously, I read something about Allied Signal on the box. Now you all got me thinking I'm nuts so in a few minutes I'm driving down to that Advance Store to check. I'll report back.

This is too much. Many off brand things compare themselves to the leading brand. Look at all the Equate stuff as you go by the pharmaceuticals on your way back to the Wal-Mart automotive. We all knew who the inferior leading brand was in those cut open filter displays. If you copy the leading brands feature and mention it on the package, you need to cover yourself by explicitly denying being a part of them. Only here, would comparing your filter to Fram worry people.

I may check them out. Even if it is a POS, my truck survived years of using Frams, so how bad can one of them be? Besides, I need to go to AA to check out the AC PF 456 for my car.

Note, did Big Lots copy the orange color scheme from Fram?

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
Look at all the Equate stuff as you go by the pharmaceuticals on your way back to the Wal-Mart automotive.

I love this comment. Glad I'm not the only one that's drawn to the automotive section of the store.
lol.gif
As far as I'm concerned everything is "on the way to automotive". Ever notice they always put it at the back of the store.
grin.gif

-T

OK. As stated, I stopped by the Advance Auto I where I thought I saw mention of Allied Sigal on the Advance filter box. Yes that's right...I must have been a wee bit foggy that day. All I sw today was exactly what others have reported. Geez, I really do need a vacation.
pat.gif

Now feeling a little like I just pulled the fire alarm to get out of an algebra test, I figure somehow I have to make ammends. So, as of tomorrow I will officially join the ranks of those who spent their hard earned greenbacks to buy new oil filters with no intention of using them. Tomorrow, after I change the oil on my Mazda6, I'm going to cut open a Purolator Premium Plus L14610 and an Advance Total Grip AA7317 (the spec filter for 2003 Pathfinder). Maybe I'll swing by Wally World and pick up the Supertech equiv.

Pics to follow tomorrow.

The Red Advance filters are made by Arvin Meritor and are identical to Purolators (also made by Arvin Meritor). Both for my application (Purolator L14476) are solidly constructed, so I guess for each individual application, you got to do your homework if someone above had one with thin canister and crappy endcaps
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
Look at all the Equate stuff as you go by the pharmaceuticals on your way back to the Wal-Mart automotive.

I love this comment. Glad I'm not the only one that's drawn to the automotive section of the store.
lol.gif
As far as I'm concerned everything is "on the way to automotive". Ever notice they always put it at the back of the store.
grin.gif

-T

Just enter walmart thru the garden center
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back