Advance Auto filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought 8 of these in the 3387 flavor while they were on sale .I couldnt resist cutting one open to check it out before i started using these.Everything looks very well engineered and well built in these filters except for one thing. the spring that holds the filter in place is 3 times harder to compress than other filters I have cut open.If someone has a few of these filters and doesnt mind cutting into one check it out and see what you think about it.

Well, there is the spring that holds the filter element tight against the baseplate, which is a leaf spring in Purolator filters and a coil spring in Wix, and there is the bypass valve itself. You must be talking about the Purolator bypass valve on the end cap of the filter element, which is a weird little disk/spring thingamabobber. I agree, it is very hard to push it open. But Purolators flow so well, I doubt it's a problem.

I just compared the innards of a NAPA Gold filter I just got to one of the AAP total grip filters I bought. The NG/WIX seems to be built with much stronger parts and better attention to detail.

For example: Take a white tissue and wipe the threaded area of an AAP filter. The tissue will be black. You may even find tiny metal shavings. When I tried this on the WIX/NG filter, it stayed clean.

It might actually not mean much in terms of engine life, but to me it speaks volumes about the level of care put into the product. I'll use the AAPs I have left, but I think I'll avoid buying Purolator products from now on.

Nobody claims regular Purolators don't flow well, It's the PureOne's that apparently don't flow as well as most others. There doesn't seem to be any debate on that, the debate has always centered around whether the lower flow rate of the PureOne's is of any consequence, and the more informed and knowledgeable memebers of this forum have said it does not.

Quote:

Nobody claims regular Purolators don't flow well, It's the PureOne's that apparently don't flow as well as most others.

So since you used the word "apparently", you must not be one of the most informed and knowledgeable posters here.

Nope. (But if it makes you fell any better I'll retract "apparently" as there are filter studies out there showing the relatively low flow of PureOnes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back