Ads on Bottom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not everyone who donates wishes to have it advertised, just saying.

Right, and that's your preference; however, I see it the opposite way. I don't care if people think MORE of me for donating. I care that people see donating as a normal thing to do. More "site donor" designations might beget more site donors.

You obviously really like this site. I can't imagine your parents would object to you spending a few quarters each month for a place where your weird predilections are truly accepted.
What is that supposed to mean? I would have to use their card to pay so they wouldn’t like that too well.

Lol this is how bad it can get with the keyboard up on a mobile device. And it popped up right in the middle of typing.

7686811C-226B-477B-B640-D401DFD66689.png

What is that supposed to mean? I would have to use their card to pay so they wouldn’t like that too well.

It means what it means. We're all oil/automotive/other nerds. You said your parents only let you use their card for "certain sites".

I'm going through tough times, as well, but that doesn't mean I'll cut off my $1/month funding to a site I visit most days.

Right, and that's your preference; however, I see it the opposite way. I don't care if people think MORE of me for donating. I care that people see donating as a normal thing to do. More "site donor" designations might beget more site donors.
Now that I have FINALLY donated some money, do I get a "SITE DONOR" label under my avatar?

I'm checking on this
A reply to something thats a one liner does not get covered by the advertising … it’s longer posts for me …
One solution is just a fresh page to someone like: Overkill, blah blah …

They are legit. We are trying to have the ads be as non-invasive as possible, but still pay the bills.
@wwillson
Thanks, just saw this thread so sorry for starting a new one on the same topic. I didn't know if it was malware or legit. Although annoying, i completely understand the reasoning and thank you guys for all you do.

Well, isnt that funny, I was just going to post about the ads. I wasnt sure if I had a "worm/virus" as these ads started showing up on my Mac and it froze BITOG on me in the middle of a reply regarding downloading or hard copy of a disc in the computer section.
I was just finishing my reply and the darn page froze on my 1 year old Mac. Mouse still worked but page would not respond, so I had to "refresh the page" lose my response and type it over again.

Hopefully this doesn't happen often, I know the ads are annoying but also know BITOG needs to bring in revenue so I am ok with it, even if its a little annoying how quickly they "flash" on and off the page, like right now its covering up my text as I type unless I scroll the page up.

Its a less pleasurable experience for sure and might be a turn off to visit the site as much BUT unless you want to pay a subscription fee BITOG has to exist. Im sure in the future it maybe just that, have a ad free subscription plan. Im sure the reason for the move to the new "host"

Last edited:
I tend to go out of my way to trash companies who's ads intrude on my usage of ... anything. Irony.

Yeah, every now and then I get pineapples and interactive ads on my screen. Please make it stop!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back